RC Competitor

Slipper clutch shaft has play, some smoke from gearbox housing

Car was running quite well today, until I saw some smoke from the gearbox, checked it but car seemed fine so a few more ramp jumps and then it made an almighty whine when i pulled the trigger.

Inspection shows there is play in the clutch shaft, i can pull it out to where it should be but it'll click back too tight and the metal plate jams against my RPM gearbox...I presume the smoke was the clutch pads as gears/driveshafts rotated fine when i took off the spur gear etc.

Before I go to the painful job of taking apart the RPM gearbox housing, can anyone suggest what is wrong, why I have play in the shaft and what upgrades can I do to stop this happening again? I attach a ohoto, the red dot is to indicate the gap difference/play in the shaft.

Position 1 - catches the plate

Position 2 - where it should be, spin freely

Last edited by yoshmitsu2; 09-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Smoke probably was from the slipper clutch. The play could be caused by a broken pin inside the gearbox. The pin that keys the shaft into the drive gear breaks sometimes, and it can cause the vehicle to lose power. May still spin the wheels when you pick it up off the ground though. Sorry, think you will have to open up that tranny box anyway. As for upgrades, I don't really know of any. Someone else might, but I usually just replace it with another shaft, doesn't seem to happen too often.

RC Competitor
    Thanks! I'm sure I have some pins used for the wheel hexes. At least this sounds like an inexpensive fix. I swear I havent got thru a full battery once before this thing breaks

RC Qualifier
    The wheel pins are actually too big. It's a larger diameter than the pin used to key the shaft into the gear. A new shaft is only a few dollars though. Seems strange that the pin would break within your first run though. Never seen that before.

Could also be the bearings the topshaft ride on. Does it spin freely?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Competitor
    Everything seems to spin freely...I'll take it apart and report back.

There should be a teflon washer on both sides of that top shaft (inside the case). That helps eliminate most of the play you are seeing.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    There should be a teflon washer on both sides of that top shaft (inside the case). That helps eliminate most of the play you are seeing.
    Thanks! I'll take it apart and report back.