Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Racer

Finally went brushless!

I have been slowly upgrading one of my Summits over the past year. Steel drive shafts, alum diff cups and dog carrier, rebuilt shocks, steel gears in the servos, chassis brace, all new bearings, heavy duty slipper and new tires and wheels and a fresh set of SMC 2s batts. Just before I left for vacation I finally got my back ordered 1/8 Mamba Monster X 25.2V ESC, with 1515-2200KV Sensored Motor. got it all mounted and even did a good job on my first attempt at soldering the battery connectors. Got the Castle link plug and App down loaded. I didn't get a chance to do any tuning with the App before I headed to the mountains. Took the Summit with me and all I can say is WOW!!!! The truck has the high gear speed I wanted and the low gear grunt I love. Had a blast driving it in the mountains and creek beds. Was amazed at the run time I was getting out of one set of lipos. Back home now and can't wait to fiddle around with the App and dial the machine in. Been reading this forum for years about making the switch to brushless, can't believe I waited so long. Can't wait to do a little side by side comparison to my other stock Summit.

The Summit is one of the other trucks I desired to have. Are they available - again?
    Last edited by maximum; 09-29-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    I have been slowly upgrading one of my Summits over the past year. Steel drive shafts, alum diff cups and dog carrier, rebuilt shocks, steel gears in the servos, chassis brace, all new bearings, heavy duty slipper and new tires and wheels and a fresh set of SMC 2s batts. Just before I left for vacation I finally got my back ordered 1/8 Mamba Monster X 25.2V ESC, with 1515-2200KV Sensored Motor. got it all mounted and even did a good job on my first attempt at soldering the battery connectors. Got the Castle link plug and App down loaded. I didn't get a chance to do any tuning with the App before I headed to the mountains. Took the Summit with me and all I can say is WOW!!!! The truck has the high gear speed I wanted and the low gear grunt I love. Had a blast driving it in the mountains and creek beds. Was amazed at the run time I was getting out of one set of lipos. Back home now and can't wait to fiddle around with the App and dial the machine in. Been reading this forum for years about making the switch to brushless, can't believe I waited so long. Can't wait to do a little side by side comparison to my other stock Summit.
    Thanks Tankinfrank! That information was more beneficial than you know. I trust it helps others to do the same thing also. Oops - sorry for my double post.
    Last edited by maximum; 09-29-2018 at 12:50 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    awsome to hear, i am on the fence for a brushless system for my summit, i like hearing news like this.

RC poster
    How did you wire two batteries?

RC Racer
    I took it to Utah for a couple of weeks on my vacation. Ran the heck out of at speed and doing some very technical crawling and climbing. Not a single problem, no breakage what so ever. However, this weekend I played on my back yard course and was really liking the new set up on all my rock obstacles. Then I started jumping it at speed and in high gear over some pretty good size dirt jumps and wooden fun box ramp. Wouldn't you know it, broke two of the plastic stock tube axles, one front and one rear. When I did the build I left the stock axles so they would be the week point. Anyway, I have to go out of town again so I wont get to fine tune it with the Castle Link until I get back. I think this thing will be killer when I get it dialed in. And, I need to remember what I built it for, woods, trail and climbing performance and stop trying to bash it like my E Revo! But it's just so much fun to watch a Summit wheelie!

RC poster
    How did you wire the Two batteries

RC poster
    Hi Tankinfrank. Could you give some idea of how much extra run time you get with brushless. I am not after speed but I am intrested in the longer run time. Thanks.

Brushless with 2s SMC lipos (8000mah+). Crawling and trailing around you can expect 90 minutes easily. If your racing and jumping then of course it would be shorter.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    Thanks noir 522.

RC Racer
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I bought a couple pairs of the Traxxas non-ID connectors and solder them to the Mamba X motors the same way as the original Summit motor was wired. I ordered the SMC batteries with the Traxxas connectors. With the SMC Tru Spec Premium 7400 batteries I get well over an hour of run time running hard and easily hour and a half trailing time. I did use the Castle Link to ease the punch control and throttle response. I have 3 Summits. The brushless is a fun vehicle and performs well but I have found that I break it more often because I want to run it like an E Revo 2.0. For trailing and crawling I do prefer the brushed ones running on lipo power. I run the brushed ones more than anything else I have in my collection.

tankinfrank, I have switched over 2 BL CC-MMX 2200KV and for the life of me I can't set the mesh right as I burned the spur right off with 16/62, will switch back to stock gearing and I never had any issues prior to upgrading BL.
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!

RC Racer
    I have only run stock since I went BL. Haven't had any mesh issues or heat problems. I do use the old tried and try method of using the notebook paper for mesh adjustment. I don't know if its possible to put the new motor on the mounting plate incorrectly or not. That may cause meshing problems.

I'm 90% sure I had the slipper too loose, gonna hit the LHS tomorrow to get a new spur gear, and tighten the slipper a bit more than what I had it.
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!

Yep, slipper was too loose, all is good, just have to get the camber right.
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!

RC Racer
    I have been running the heck out of the BL Summit the past month since I went back to the plastic diff cups. No problems what so ever. I have been looking at the aluminum ones I took out and after further review I think I might of received the wrong ones. When I slide a shafted diff gear into them I can definitely see a gap around the shaft. Anyway, The Summit has been running great and is a blast to drive.

I'm dealing with a unknown issue, never had it before: while driving 2s in parallel when I turn while going forward it wants to continue a wobble let's say and after 5secs it so it balances it self out. With no weight on the fronts, like turning it upside down they turn like butter, but once it right side up and you turn it continues to wobble, any ideas?
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!