Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Aqualungs Slash build

Iíve had a Stampede VXL 4x4 for over a year and it has been upgraded a little and with its new Masher tires I donít like taking it in the street anymore and thatís ok!
    So I decided to build LCG Slash brushless 2wd for streets/gravel, sand, etc. I like to bash, but would also like to do a little corner carving and racing.
    I just ordered the Chassis parts 5832 and 5831 in black on eBay free shipping. I will try to find green suspension parts in plastic and aluminum. I only want to use necessary metal parts. Iím ok with plastic. I plan on buying some parts every payday.
    Aside from my own research would love suggestions for:
    -Motor/ESC
    -Shocks and Suspension parts
    -Radio control unit
    -Axle/Diff housing and their components
    -Which alloy parts are a must
    Thanks again and look forward to this build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aqualungs; 09-29-2018 at 08:59 AM.

This is my basher set up. CC for my motors. MIPS for nearly indestructible drive shafts. Aluminum knuckles and axle carriers. I use rpm arms, shock towers, and tranny case. Oh and I can't forget the mx2.8 badlands. My favorite part of the truck!
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

RC Qualifier

Aqualungs Slash build

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    This is my basher set up. CC for my motors. MIPS for nearly indestructible drive shafts. Aluminum knuckles and axle carriers. I use rpm arms, shock towers, and tranny case. Oh and I can't forget the mx2.8 badlands. My favorite part of the truck!
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Awesome I planned on using all the green RPM parts I can find. Also the green caster blocks, steering blocks

Have to figure out shocks. Should I just stay with stock shock and get green aluminum shock caps and green springs?

Last edited by Aqualungs; 10-01-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    Awesome I planned on using all the green RPM parts I can find. Also the green caster blocks, steering blocks

Have to figure out shocks. Should I just stay with stock shock and get green aluminum shock caps and green springs?

There is nothing wrong with stock shocks and aluminum caps. I run them on my Slash, and use them (rears up front) on every scratch build I do because they work so well. Tons of rate options with Losi springs and everyone else who makes them. I agree with the RPM caster blocks, but I prefer stock parts for the steering, even on 10 lb. builds, just thru bolt them with a m3 button head and nylock nut on the bottom. Camber link barely fits, nothing comes loose or off that way. Heck, everything gets thru bolted and a nylock nut for that matter. Steering, links, arms...... No maintainance that way. Put in another pack and drive!!! As for green springs, spray paint solves that problem so you can get the spring rate you want.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with stock shocks and aluminum caps. I run them on my Slash, and use them (rears up front) on every scratch build I do because they work so well. Tons of rate options with Losi springs and everyone else who makes them. I agree with the RPM caster blocks, but I prefer stock parts for the steering, even on 10 lb. builds, just thru bolt them with a m3 button head and nylock nut on the bottom. Camber link barely fits, nothing comes loose or off that way. Heck, everything gets thru bolted and a nylock nut for that matter. Steering, links, arms...... No maintainance that way. Put in another pack and drive!!! As for green springs, spray paint solves that problem so you can get the spring rate you want.
    Are you saying everything stock is already set up with the M3 camber link and nylocks, or do you have to set it up that way?

That leads me to my next question. Finding a complete screw, bolt, nut kit. I was looking at a set of Tonyís screws for 23$ and I just need the shoulder screws and bearing kits.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with stock shocks and aluminum caps. I run them on my Slash, and use them (rears up front) on every scratch build I do because they work so well.
    +1. I'm yet to try rear shocks on the front yet but I have always run aluminum caps with stock plastic shock bodies. I've never once had a problem aside from some dirt inside the fluid due to a failed lower O-ring.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Qualifier

Aqualungs Slash build

Ok so my plan to buy over time failed and I binge ordered alot..

Iím just under 250$ and ordered everything on eBay. My list

LCG Chassis 5831 & 5832
    STRC green aluminum shock caps, front caster blocks, steering knuckles, rear hub carrier
    Tonyís Screw Kit
    STRC hinge pin set
    RPM green A Arm set
    Traxxas new style rustler shocks
    RPM shock towers
    Proline Body Mounts
    RPM Gear box housing
    VG green progressive springs
    RPM green front bulkhead
    Traxxas vxl bellcrank servo, turnbuckles/tie rods
    Traxxas fiberglass tie bar

Now to wait for the mail

I am now off to research good transmission setups and slipper clutch setups that are better than stock. Any recommendations would be awesome to finish the rear end.

RC Qualifier

Got quite a few parts in today, but did not get my set of Tonyís Screws. All I was able to do was change to the green aluminum shock caps. Until tomorrow!

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you are off to a good start. Cant go wrong with those parts and MIP wrenches.

What kind of power / speed are you looking for? What battery type are you wanting to stick with 2s? 3s?
    One thing I found was that after I made my slash 1/8 scale insanely fast/ strong it got heavy and was not good at certain things that it used to be good at. Seems like it is hard to be the master of all (bashing / racing / speed)

I know the castle 3800kv is highly recommended setup on the Slash if you keep it geared for under 40mph
    It is a light motor compared to some of the larger options and will help keep the handling good on the truck.

The traxxas differential leaves allot to be desired. I need to try some thicker fluid in it.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 10-18-2018 at 10:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Looks like you are off to a good start. Cant go wrong with those parts and MIP wrenches.

What kind of power / speed are you looking for? What battery type are you wanting to stick with 2s? 3s?
    One thing I found was that after I made my slash 1/8 scale insanely fast/ strong it got heavy and was not good at certain things that it used to be good at. Seems like it is hard to be the master of all (bashing / racing / speed)

I know the castle 3800kv is highly recommended setup on the Slash if you keep it geared for under 40mph
    It is a light motor compared to some of the larger options and will help keep the handling good on the truck.

The traxxas differential leaves allot to be desired. I need to try some thicker fluid in it.

-Liberty
    Would like to venture into 3s and get to up to 55-60. Mostly for bashing though. I was looking at the 3800kv.

https://ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%...2F192208530875

This would probably be overkill

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392143275337

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at the Hot Racing sealed diff but not sure if itís worth it. I also read the stock diff housing works better with the RPM transmission case. Maybe someone could expand on that

RC Qualifier
    Looks like you are on the right path. Put it all together and then see if the diff upgrade is necessary. You may be happy with it as is.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at the Hot Racing sealed diff but not sure if itís worth it. I also read the stock diff housing works better with the RPM transmission case. Maybe someone could expand on that

No problems with Hot Racing sealed diff in RPM transmission case. Someone have luck with them, someoneís leaking.. Mine is still holding oil after 10 batteries, still testing and need ticker oil(30k is now)
    Try stock for now if you are basher.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome, thanks guys, going to go with the stock diff housing

RC Qualifier
    I think Iím going to put my sights on the Castle Creations 2560kv and start saving. Will give me waterproof esc, 3s and can move up to 4s. Iím already getting used to the 2s on my vxl Stampede so Iím going to want to get 3s batteries come spring.
    For bashing and possibly turning this into a monster slash, the 2640 will give me plenty of power.
    Iíll use a Traxxas receiver so I can use my Stampedes controller for now.

RC Qualifier
    Front suspension is all buttoned up. Loving the way itís coming along and much more fun than buying it assembled.

Just need to finish ordering the transmission parts so I can finish the rear. Gonna order bearings from Avid RC along with a Robinson pinion. Should I stick with stock tooth count?

RC Qualifier
    2650 motor is very powerful. You can certainly try Robinson racing but you may need to go mod 1. I had tried and finally had to make that change on the 2200kv. It is allot of motor for that chassis...

You may end up needing to go with GTR shocks also due to the extra weight of the motor and larger battery.
    My saying is one upgrade results in 2 others.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    2650 motor is very powerful. You can certainly try Robinson racing but you may need to go mod 1. I had tried and finally had to make that change on the 2200kv. It is allot of motor for that chassis...

You may end up needing to go with GTR shocks also due to the extra weight of the motor and larger battery.
    My saying is one upgrade results in 2 others.
    Thanks for the advice! I will just go with the 1410 3800kv, unless thereís a better recommendation. Iím still having fun with my VXL and havenít even moved to 3s.
    Also I would have built this around the motor and for example went with big bore shocks right away. Also I read a few places big bore shocks werenít really necessary and now wish I would have done them lol.

RC Qualifier
    I guess Iím trying to make this one light and fast. Also consider I find my 2s Stampede fast l, but am going to want some more speed.

I've found the 2400kv Castle motors to be a nice 2wd setup.
    I run them in both my 2wd Slash rigs; just something to consider as there are many options for the truck.

The 2400kv Castle is the same diameter as the stock motor ( maybe slightly wider with the fins) but a bit longer.
    Here's a picture of an older nonsensored motor with the rpm motor gaurd, I believe all the new ones are sensored but should still be the same dimensions
    Just my .02Ę.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3800 will get hot on 3S if youíre not careful with your gearing. I happen to agree with you about building from scratch

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I've found the 2400kv Castle motors to be a nice 2wd setup.
    I run them in both my 2wd Slash rigs; just something to consider as there are many options for the truck.

The 2400kv Castle is the same diameter as the stock motor ( maybe slightly wider with the fins) but a bit longer.
    Here's a picture of an older nonsensored motor with the rpm motor gaurd, I believe all the new ones are sensored but should still be the same dimensions
    Just my .02Ę.
    Is this the animal youíre speaking of?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132488415165

Is the Velenion Motor a better choice?

Is this the animal you’re speaking of?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132488415165

Is the Velenion Motor a better choice?

I think I would go with the Mamba X rather then the sidewinder 4; it's more money but also a lot better system.
    The Velineon is a decent motor but the 2400kv on 3s is quite the handful as well as 4s capable if you really want to get crazy.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...xoCbRcQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-21-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added Link

RC Qualifier
    I think I would go with the Mamba X rather then the sidewinder 4; it's more money but also a lot better system.
    The Velineon is a decent motor but the 2400kv on 3s is quite the handful as well as 4s capable if you really want to get crazy.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...xoCbRcQAvD_BwE
    If thatís a motor that I can bash with and race around the cul de sac, and it stays cool, then that sounds good to me. Gives me a lot power to start with and quite a bit of of upgrade options.
    I am planning on using the stock transmission. What spur gear and pinion gear should I use?
    Also I have a revo slipper clutch on my Stampede. Are you able to do the same setup?

If that’s a motor that I can bash with and race around the cul de sac, and it stays cool, then that sounds good to me. Gives me a lot power to start with and quite a bit of of upgrade options.
    I am planning on using the stock transmission. What spur gear and pinion gear should I use?
    Also I have a revo slipper clutch on my Stampede. Are you able to do the same setup?

Mine stay cool in my 2wd's.
    I personally run Robinson Racing slipper, spur and pinions (56/23 in the FLM build) in one and Team Associated 32p in the sand rig; both are 32 pitch.

RC Qualifier

Aqualungs Slash build

Mine stay cool in my 2wd's.
    I personally run Robinson Racing slipper, spur and pinions (56/23 in the FLM build) in one and Team Associated 32p in the sand rig; both are 32 pitch.
    Nice! Your pics arenít coming through for some reason. May Be Tapatalk..

I watched some videos of Slashes with that motor. Seemed like too much torque for the 2wd.. his front end was too light though. His truck lifted up and flipped at full throttle. Lol

RC Qualifier
    Iím probably going with 2.2 Trenchers so thereís some weight.

Nice! Your pics aren’t coming through for some reason. May Be Tapatalk..

I watched some videos of Slashes with that motor. Seemed like too much torque for the 2wd.. his front end was too light though. His truck lifted up and flipped at full throttle. Lol

They do pull hard, a slipper adjustment will take care of any wheelies and the RR slipper does a great job.
    I can set it to carry the front end until releasing the throttle or a slight jump at launch (I don't really like wheelies) and away it goes.

I used to run Trenchers on the front of my racing 2wd's back in the day; mixed with Bad Lands in the rear it was a beast in the dirt.
    These are old pic's and not a very good one's.
    The Truck has ProTrack suspension.
    ProLine Slash front bead locks all around.
    ProLine racing chassis.
    ProLine Power Strokes.
    Spectrum s6040 servo.
    2400kv Castle with a MMP.
    ProLine Trans with a HR machined diff and hardened idler.
    ProLine 78 (optional) tooth 48 pitch spur with a Losi 25-30 tooth (if I remember right).
    Trenchers front.
    Bad Lands rear
    STRC bulkhead.
    I'm sure I'm forgetting things since it was five years ago but it was a nice loose dirt track setup

Needless to say this was a ProMod race what you brought category heat truck.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-22-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added picture: corrected gearing numbers

RC Qualifier
    Very nice! Thanks for all the help.
    One last question, the slipper shaft and pin. Iíve read the pin is a weak point. Is there a better pin to run, or is a better shaft assembly needed?

RC Qualifier
    Also, am I going to need big bore shocks or are the modded stock shocks ok? About to wrap up my second order.

RC Qualifier
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332841508036

What do you guys think of this slipper shaft. Seems to mend the roll pin shearing issue. Does that mean something else will break?

RC Qualifier
    Also, am I going to need big bore shocks or are the modded stock shocks ok? About to wrap up my second order.

Stock shocks are ok for my setup but my cc3800 is not heavy motor..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332841508036

What do you guys think of this slipper shaft. Seems to mend the roll pin shearing issue. Does that mean something else will break?

Looks like it would help, having a machined Layshaft gear would mean more to me then a hardened sheer pin.
    I always considered its name "Sheer Pin" and figure it's doing the job it was meant to; something has to give when to much power is applied.
    I've also heard a lot of fellas replacing the pin with a hardened drill bit, same idea tho without the machined top gear.

Now that I'm done rambling had I seen that part five years ago I'm sure I would have purchased it, a machined gear is far more precise; this transfers to smoother power output in the end.

After looking and reading the specks on that shaft it sounds like the only machining done was cutting the gear to fit the over sized pin.
    I could be wrong (still having morning coffee) but it seems to read that way.

This is a factory replacement for the stock shaft that has the fragile roll pin. This has a hardened steel
    solid pin that is larger and the gear is machined with a larger slot. Gear and pin are a pressed fit.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-23-2018 at 06:20 AM.

RC Qualifier

Aqualungs Slash build

Right. I was wondering if that pin is a good cheap failsafe.
    Meanwhile these are on my list.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F191787011939

Iím ordering Avid racing bearing along with a Robinson 23T pinion

RC Qualifier
    Just got my coffee. Forgot to add a link. Not sure if this little guy is necessary. Thinking I should be ok with the stock cog.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173469014420

I run a couple of these, one in a 2wd Slash the other in my Scx10, no complainants here.
    I've run these as well, never had one fail but then again with the exception of my grand son running his with no grease I've had excellent luck with the stock idlers as well.
    There's nothing wrong with making something as strong as possible, tho I personally (personally being the key word) have had good luck with all the stock Traxxas Trans internals, with the exception of the the diff it self I've been sticking with Traxxas internal gears the last couple years.
    I didn't have issues with the stock differentials but preferred running sealed FLM and Hot Racing as their far more tunable.

Not sure whats up but I'm have issue with the forum not putting quotes in quotes when I attempt it.
    Took five tries to get it done in this post.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Haha me too. Iím going to run all stock transmission, with the Robinson slipper and pinion. More money for other parts.

Haha me too. I’m going to run all stock transmission, with the Robinson slipper and pinion. More money for other parts.

That's what I would do; you can always upgrade later if you chose.
    I went thru my pavement 2wd trans a few weeks ago and everything looked great.
    I went with 100,000 fluid rather then the 50,000 I was running and back together it went.

RC Qualifier
    That's what I would do; you can always upgrade later if you chose.
    I went thru my pavement 2wd trans a few weeks ago and everything looked great.
    I went with 100,000 fluid rather then the 50,000 I was running and back together it went.
    In the stock transmission? Or should I use the Traxxas grease in the kit.
    https://www.hobbytown.com/planetary-...ra2388x/p17448

In the stock transmission? Or should I use the Traxxas grease in the kit.
    https://www.hobbytown.com/planetary-...ra2388x/p17448

If your going with the stock diff the grease they give you would be best; the stock differential isn't sealed so grease is about all you can use.
    There are mods to seal a stock diff (I've tried one) but imho it's easier to just upgrade to an HR sealed diff; FLM makes a good product but expensive and the HR's seem just s good.
    For the outer diff, idler and top-shaft gear I just use red wheel bearing grease, not to thick but not to thin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast