Thread: Pikachu

RC poster

Pikachu

Hello from Mongolia Traxxas fans,

I have decided to add a rally RC to the growing fleet and for my purposes, I think the Traxxas rally chassis is my best bet. I found a nicely-upgraded chassis and will buy a clear Fiesta body to paint and decal myself.

I will need to get an ESC/motor combo and wheels and tires. I am wondering if I need to set this up very differently than I would a Slash. I mean, I was looking at Tamiya, and other smaller, more scale rally RCs, but after all, I need something that will stand up to off-road bashing. I think this is the best kit for that in the rally scene.

Anyway, I am hoping for ESC/motor suggestions, as well as wheel/tires. I'll need something truly all-terrain, and will also be running on packed snow and ice. The plan for now is to run 3s.

The thread is called 'Pikachu' because that's what we used to call my yellow 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 I had years ago. I'll paint it to resemble that 1:1. Some kids thought it looked like the Pokemon

Thanks for stopping by,
    MP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MongolPete View Post
    Hello from Mongolia Traxxas fans,

I have decided to add a rally RC to the growing fleet and for my purposes, I think the Traxxas rally chassis is my best bet. I found a nicely-upgraded chassis and will buy a clear Fiesta body to paint and decal myself.

I will need to get an ESC/motor combo and wheels and tires. I am wondering if I need to set this up very differently than I would a Slash. I mean, I was looking at Tamiya, and other smaller, more scale rally RCs, but after all, I need something that will stand up to off-road bashing. I think this is the best kit for that in the rally scene.

Anyway, I am hoping for ESC/motor suggestions, as well as wheel/tires. I'll need something truly all-terrain, and will also be running on packed snow and ice. The plan for now is to run 3s.

The thread is called 'Pikachu' because that's what we used to call my yellow 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 I had years ago. I'll paint it to resemble that 1:1. Some kids thought it looked like the Pokemon

Thanks for stopping by,
    MP
    Unfortunately the Traxxas Rally forum is not super popular and is not viewed very often.

If you're looking to slide on both dirt and asphalt then the stock rally tires are perfect. The stock tires are replicas of 1:1 rally tires and they work perfectly.

I have the older version of the Traxxas Rally 1/10. It came factory with the VXL 3s system. I've never had to replace one of these systems. I love this system and highly recommend it (mainly because it has good torque and speed so it's easy to slide the car with this system and the stock tires).

You really can't go wrong with Traxxas when it comes to durability. The Slash 4x4 / 1/10 Rally has it's weak points but those can be fixed with parts from RPM. While some on this forum advise against it, I run a chassis brace from VG racing in my Slash/Rally.

Keep in mind while rallying that the Traxxas Rally sits incredibly low to to the ground. Luckily Traxxas includes pre-load clips for the stock shocks (You did say the truck was upgraded so it might already have threaded shocks).

The Rally is a fun car! Enjoy it to the fullest!

RC poster
    Thank you Sprinkletron,

I am going to borrow the VXL 3s system from my Bandit VXL because I'm planning to stow that away for the winter anyway. I have a feeling the poor Bandit won't get it back, and will get a milder, cheaper brushless set up come spring. I really like the look of the Traxxas rally wheels/tires, but I wonder if they are durable enough to stand up to 3s bashing. Also, I think it is around $50 for the set. I can get a set of Proline wheels/tires for about the same money.

It's funny that this model seems rather unpopular. I mean, it is a very affordable Slash 4x4, so it can be made into anything.

Thanks,
    MP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MongolPete View Post
    I really like the look of the Traxxas rally wheels/tires, but I wonder if they are durable enough to stand up to 3s bashing. Also, I think it is around $50 for the set. I can get a set of Proline wheels/tires for about the same money.

It's funny that this model seems rather unpopular. I mean, it is a very affordable Slash 4x4, so it can be made into anything.

Thanks,
    MP
    Yes the durability is an small issue. I'll see if I can find time to run my Rally on the stock wheels and tires on 3s here soon. My area has the perfect surface to test durability; rough concrete.

I find it odd as well that people don't buy this car. It's a budget LCG slash 4x4 (at least it used to be. Now it's brushed and has plastic links )
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    It's a wonderful car...we will be racing full on rally with multi-surface tracks this spring/summer.

Keep the faith, Rally is back!!

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't use the vxl 3s for mainly 3s bashing, I would go to a castle 2650 or 2400kv combo. Spends like a fun build! Show us some pics!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk