Thread: Max 5 questions

RC Racer

Max 5 questions

Iím thinking about installing a hobbywing max 5esc in my maxx. Is it compatible with the stock motor. Does it come with the bullet connectors already attached or do I have to solder the ends,if so what size connectors do I need. Do I have to rebind after installation . Iím not much on electronics,,I like to keep it simple. Pretty bad,as I can build auto engines blindfolded. Any thing else I missed please let me know...thanks a million guys........(so many questions eh) sorry still learning,,,,,.....

RC Enthusiast
    1. Yes it will work fine with the stock motor.
    2. It will not have connectors attached.
    3. Size is up to you. Stock motor, the Traxxas connectors are fine. Going to any bigger motor or amp draw, you would want to move to something more beefy. It's going to be your choice. I personally use the Castle Creations 6.5mm polarized connectors, but they are a pain to solder.
    4. You will not need to rebind, that is handled by the receiver. It's what binds, not the ESC.

The Max 5 does not fit in the stock location and either modification would be required (there are a ton of threads on this), or mounted to a mounting plate on top of the supports. Again, plenty of threads on this.

If you do not plan on going to a much bigger motor, the HW Max 6 is a good choice as it's reliable and fits in the stock ESC location without modification other than a method to hold it down, like automotive 2 sided tape. The difference being the Max 6 is a 160 amp ESC and the Max5 is 200 amps.

Beware though, asking for support for the HW products here might get it flagged and closed.

RC Racer
    Oops,, sorry,,wasn’t thinking...thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond102 View Post
    Beware though, asking for support for the HW products here might get it flagged and closed.

Asking for support for non-Traxxas products will be removed - not specific to Hobby Wing. The moderators will allow discussion regarding:
    1. Pros and cons of purchasing an aftermarket part for your Traxxas vehicle.
    2. Sharing your experiences, either bad or good with a particular part.
    3. Posting what it took to install the part and what you had to modify to make it work in your Traxxas vehicle.

Will remove the following:
    1. Posting specification questions or answers about a non-Traxxas part.
    2. Posting repair and troubleshooting tips for non-Traxxas parts.
    3. Posting where to find the lowest priced parts for non-Traxxas parts (other than a simple direction to check at your LHS).
    4. Attempting to get troubleshooting information for a non-Traxxas part.
    The Super Derecho