RC poster

Opinion After A Number Runs...

Overall the Rustler 4x4 is awesome! I like the body and battery hold down mechanisms and do not miss body clips one bit. Overall the truck is a blast to drive and those big tires offer a lot of traction but there is a downside. You get a ton of dirt, rocks and debris inside the chassis. This is a concern because the driveshaft is open unlike the Slash 4x4 which has a clear plastic cover to protect it. I already have a number of gouge marks in the metal on drive shaft. Also when running ESC fan it has some protection from the leads but not much. I can't wait for someone like Dusty Motors protection to come out with a cover.

RC poster
    Agreed on the debris in the chassis, these things definitely need a dust cover of some sort.

I bought a 4x4 for myself and another for my wife. There is a definite difference in the driving characteristics between the two. Both are box stock with 3S batteries. My wife’s drives very smooth from the steering to the brakes and power. Mine is a problem child, it goes into thermal frequently, the brakes are way to strong and the shock caps continue to pop off.

I’ve ordered aluminum shock caps, so that is taken care of. I’m stumped as to why one of the two vehicles has a heat issue. Both are driven in the same conditions, low cut grass and pavement. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by turbosidan View Post
    Agreed on the debris in the chassis, these things definitely need a dust cover of some sort.

I bought a 4x4 for myself and another for my wife. There is a definite difference in the driving characteristics between the two. Both are box stock with 3S batteries. My wifeís drives very smooth from the steering to the brakes and power. Mine is a problem child, it goes into thermal frequently, the brakes are way to strong and the shock caps continue to pop off.

Iíve ordered aluminum shock caps, so that is taken care of. Iím stumped as to why one of the two vehicles has a heat issue. Both are driven in the same conditions, low cut grass and pavement. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    You can set braking % in the button menu or with the Bluetooth app. Same for steering and power.

How are those "extreme duty" plastic shafts?
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Qualifier
    How are those "extreme duty" plastic shafts?
    Think I saw someone break one in another thread.

RC Champion
    ive broken a drive shaft.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    ive broken a drive shaft.
    WITH LARGER TIRES OR STOCK? Oops caps. sorry. were you bashing?
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC poster
    Finally something gave up....

The steering servo gears decided to shed some teeth. During a run I made a slight off center landing but not hard. Replaced with spare plastic set but I will upgrade with metal gears once they arrive.

One thing to note is the steering arm goes back in off center and I should have marked it prior to removal. You do need to remove the entire front end to remove the servo though.

RC Qualifier
    I just watch a YouTube vid from Outcast RC (or something like that) and that guy was beating on it. Launching it 70+ feet landing every which way......and not one thing but a bent shock shaft to show for it. I was impressed.

RC Racer
    I am at 6 batteries in on mine 3 2s and 3 3s, nothing broke yet.
    Impressive little truck.
    I sure wish I could say that about my Revo 2.0. I just wish it was half as tough as this rustler 4X4.
    They may look a lot alike, but the rustler 4X4 is proving to be a lot tougher truck.
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

RC Qualifier
    I drove mine finally, drives great but I have gtr shocks on it right away.a little loud but pretty quick on 2s.the one thing I hate is putting on the body I called rpm and asked if they would make body posts.also it jumps great just need stiffer springs and center diff now

RC Qualifier
    More and more I drive this truck the more I'm loving it.i know it's like the rally I have and the slash but it's the perfect size to take out and it handles very well.still hate the body lol give me clips any day

RC Enthusiast
    Over all I'm liking the truck a lot. It drives well, is fast, takes abuse, and it's a 1/10 scale 4x4 stadium truck!!!! (Something I have wanted for the last 15+ years) This is small enough to take to work and have fun on my lunch break.
    Only thing I don't care for is that I had to upgrade it to be on par with my other rc cars. I have more money going into this than my basher 1/8th truggy.

I also wish the body was made a little thicker. My first slide on the street ripped a hole through above the rear shock tower

RC poster
    Love mine! Thing takes some serious abuse and I still haven’t broken anything. Starting to get used to the no body clips and I love it. I’ve put piggyback shocks on mine but have the reservoirs inwards to allow the clipless body system to work. Great truck I can’t wait for more upgrades for it to become available.