RC poster

Running NiMH Batteries

Has anyone run their Spartan or M41 with NiMH batteries? Is it safe on all components (engine, ESC, etc.)? I'm under the impression that the latest Spartan and M41 share the same ESC and motor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just spoke with Traxxas support on the phone and they said it's not recommended to run NiMH batteries with the Spartan or M41 because it can hurt the ESC and motor making them fail sooner, along with the batteries. Is this true from your experience? This is confusing because I've seen the Spartan advertised to run 30 mph stock on 8.4V NiMH batteries.

My friends and I like to race, but we don't need the 50+ mph LiPo power for racing against each other and would prefer the simplicity and safety of the NiMH at times.

Running NiMH Batteries

How many FE boats have you run on NiMH power?
    What qualities or characteristics do you think make NiMH packs safer and simpler than LiPo packs?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    What qualities or characteristics do you think make NiMH packs safer and simpler than LiPo packs?
    I'll echo ksb on this one. Though I'm not a boat guy, I do know a little bit on batteries. Lipos have come a long way in a short time. While they do require a certain degree of attention, I've yet to see one explode like a nimh battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle-Wind View Post

My friends and I like to race, but we don't need the 50+ mph LiPo power for racing against each other and would prefer the simplicity and safety of the NiMH at times.
    Simpler and safer?
    Batteries with more than one cell need to be balanced for optimal performance. Your NiMH has at least 6 cells or more with no provision for balancing. LiPo's do.
    All batteries require care when handling and LiPO's are no more dangerous than your family car battery or your NiMH's. If we followed your reasoning we would be back to NiCads. jmo
    Last edited by Rich2; 10-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    Simpler and safer?
    Batteries with more than one cell need to be balanced for optimal performance. Your NiMH has at least 6 cells or more with no provision for balancing. LiPo's do.
    All batteries require care when handling and LiPO's are no more dangerous than your family car battery or your NiMH's. If we followed your reasoning we would be back to NiCads. jmo
    Are you kidding? There is definitely a danger level with lipos that exceeds car batteries and nimhs. Never had to consider charging my nimhs in a military ammunition box or anti-explosive sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED View Post
    Are you kidding? There is definitely a danger level with lipos that exceeds car batteries and nimhs. Never had to consider charging my nimhs in a military ammunition box or anti-explosive sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ever see a car battery explode? probably not. Ever see a LiPo explode? probably not.
    I just had one apart and replaced all the wires that got ripped out including the balance wires and re wrapped it. It's no different than any other battery. The battery in your IPhone is liable catch fire first.
    Last edited by Rich2; 10-06-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Running NiMH Batteries

Let’s not make this a battery chemistry debate if we can help it.
    My questions above were meant to discover information, not to make any judgement.
    Therefore I will repeat the questions and hopefully receive the answers:

Alt-248 on the number pad = °

No matter where you go, there you are.

When I first got my Spartan (when the Spartan first hit the market) I tried running NiMH batteries, because I didn't have any experience with RC boats at the time. My experience with using NiHM batteries with my Spartan was that my Spartan was really hard on them, and they didn't last very long.

(IMO) you can get away with NiMH's on land and air RC vehicles, but with 4s and 6s boats you need Lipo's. If you want to have the performance of a NiHM battery with your Spartan, rather than using NiMN batteries, consider using 4s Lipo's instead.

Are you kidding? There is definitely a danger level with lipos that exceeds car batteries and NiHM's Never had to consider charging my NiHM's in a military ammunition box or anti-explosive sack.
    As far as Lipo's being more dangerous than NiHM's or car batteries, all batteries should be treated as potentially being a fire hazard. All batteries should be charged and stored in fire proof containers or in a fire proof environment.

Hopefully this won't sound too silly of me, but I don't know what a FE boat is. Sorry
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC poster
    Thanks ReglarGuy, that is the info that I was looking for.

I don't know what an FE boat is either.

Running NiMH Batteries

I don't know what an FE boat is either.
    FE stands for Fast Electric.
    Has anyone run their Spartan or M41 with NiMH batteries? Is it safe on all components (engine, ESC, etc.)? I'm under the impression that the latest Spartan and M41 share the same ESC and motor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just spoke with Traxxas support on the phone and they said it's not recommended to run NiMH batteries with the Spartan or M41 because it can hurt the ESC and motor making them fail sooner, along with the batteries. Is this true from your experience? This is confusing because I've seen the Spartan advertised to run 30 mph stock on 8.4V NiMH batteries.

If I were you I would follow factory recommendations. Also, if you have Traxxas ID LiPo's it doesn't get any easier.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-07-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: merge

We all live untill we die.

Your welcome, and when I say 4s batteries I mean two 2s batteries in series. Also, Rich2 is right on the money when he suggests reading your owners manual. When you do, one of the things you'll see is that your boat can run on 4s to 6s. Most people, though, if they run a completely stock Spartan (no dual water cooling mod) run 4s. In the future if you ever do want to run 6s with your Spartan doing the dual water cooling mod is a must.

P.S. Fast Electric...who would of thunk.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-07-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Here in finland motor dont get heat up becauce water is allready so cold 14'c now.... Motor running28'c

Lähetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla