RC Racer

Motor bearing mod

Hi folks, in EL Sob's thread about Traxxas cvd's. He just mentioned motor bearing mod. Other than buying a new motor mount for a bigger bearing, is there something else. Just yesterday, I heard a horrible grinding noise. The gear end of the motor spun the bearing right out of it. Also, does the Traxxas aluminum motor mount plate have a bearing in it also? Mine did not. It has a big hole for one it seems. This is on my new to me used 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Workingstiff View Post
    Hi folks, in EL Sob's thread about Traxxas cvd's. He just mentioned motor bearing mod. Other than buying a new motor mount for a bigger bearing, is there something else. Just yesterday, I heard a horrible grinding noise. The gear end of the motor spun the bearing right out of it. Also, does the Traxxas aluminum motor mount plate have a bearing in it also? Mine did not. It has a big hole for one it seems. This is on my new to me used 4x4.
    No bearing in the motor plate. There is a bearing on the inside of the motor mount.

El Sob was talking about a King Headz motor mount. It uses a larger bearing. The mount is made of Aluminum and much better/stronger than plastic.

OH! And the big hole is for motor shaft movement No bearing, as ati said
    Last edited by lektro; 10-05-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    He might have been talking about the piece of foam he puts on the motor, between the pinion and motor. It keeps the dust out of the motor on the pinion side. And it is brilliant!

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Awesome idea and thanks for the link!

RC Racer
    Motor mount = mounts to the motor?
    Motor plate = mounts motor mount to the frame?
    Just for clarity

The plate mounts directly to the motor. The mount is attached to the chassis and the plate, well, mounts to the mount.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

The motor mount, mounts to the chassis and the plate mounts to the motor. You can mount the plate to the motor by using different holes in the motor and motor plate. depending on how you want the motor to sit.

This is the slash motor mount

This is the p4de

Last edited by lektro; 10-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Workingstiff View Post
    Other than buying a new motor mount for a bigger bearing, is there something else.
    Check out upgraded bearings from places like https://www.bocabearings.com/parts/Slash-4x4 I'm running a full set of Yellow Boca Bearings in my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck. They are upgraded bearings that are the same size as the stock bearings. They are much more reliable, stronger, and last much longer than the stock bearings. I've been using the same Boca bearings for like 5 years, every time I check on them to see if they need to be replaced they are still going strong. That is with a heavy Castle 2400kv 1415 motor that I just recently upgraded to an even heavier 2200kv 1515 motor. I'm actually still using the stock plastic motor mount. Combined with a heavy motor, that should be a nightmare for the bearing but it shows you just how good the bearings are. Unfortunately they aren't particularly cheap.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 10-06-2018 at 10:53 AM.