RC poster

E revo 2 friction rub of front cvdís when steering

Hi. Just got a e revo 2 last week. Awesome truck.

I noticed that the front cvds seem to have a bit of friction rub against the axle carrier during steering only. I reduced the steering end points which seemed to stop the binding. But as a result , the turning circle is significantly reduced. ( almost a bit cumbersome to turn ). Is it normal that there is some friction rub of the front cvd,s against the axle carrier , if the wheels are turned to their maximum stock turning circle. Was I correct to limit the steering end points ( even though the turning circle is now significantly less )? Or is it normal that there is some mild friction rub of the front cvds, and I should just ignore it? Has anyone experienced this issue. Iím a noob, so any help would be much appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Personally, I just deal with it. *but I did blow a motor*

Steering rub is not directly related to a blown motor! It will break in, just go with it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC poster
    So, just to confirm, are you saying, that I should ignore the friction rub, and not be concerned about it. And I should reset my steering end points back to stock full travel. That’s a relief.
    Last edited by Bkav; 10-07-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Let me back up, is it horrendous? Does it make the suspension jump?

RC poster
    If you run it at low rpm with wheels off the ground and front wheels turned maximally , you can hear the front cvds making a fairly loud stuttering/ratcheting sound as they rub against the axle carrier. If I push the car manually, while the front wheels are fully turned , I can feel that there is some resistance ( almost like brakes are gently applied ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bkav View Post
    If you run it at low rpm with wheels off the ground and front wheels turned maximally , you can hear the front cvds making a fairly loud stuttering/ratcheting sound as they rub against the axle carrier. If I push the car manually, while the front wheels are fully turned , I can feel that there is some resistance ( almost like brakes are gently applied ).
    Pushing manually while powered on?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Maybe a quick video is in order, while I wouldn't worry about a slight rubbing, the joint being stressed to far can lead to breakage. It's hard to tell with just a description though.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Pushing manually while powered on?
    It has resistance when being pushed manually by hand only when the wheels are fully turned, both whether powered on or powered off.
    ( as though weak brakes are being applied ).
    Last edited by Bkav; 10-08-2018 at 04:27 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Maybe a quick video is in order, while I wouldn't worry about a slight rubbing, the joint being stressed to far can lead to breakage. It's hard to tell with just a description though.

Thanks. Will try put a video up. Iíve just got to figure out how to load videos onto this forum.

You can't upload directly to the forum, you have to host the video elsewhere (YouTube for example) and link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkav View Post
    Thanks. Will try put a video up. Iíve just got to figure out how to load videos onto this forum.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post

I took the e revo back to the hobby shop. They said what you said. So long as only a slight bit of friction rub, is no problem at all. They ended up increasing the steering travel end points closer to the stock set up. And only getting mild friction rub of the front cvds against the axle carrier. So turning circle is 100 times improved , and only mild rubbing. So all seems sorted. Thanks for the advice.

My pleasure, I'm glad it wasn't something terrible!

RC Qualifier
    I wasn’t implying it’d blow your motor having some rub. I was just saying, I noticed rub too but never addressed it, and I did blow a motor later so it could not be the best thing for your vehicle. Seeing you’re fine now that’s all that matters.

Try compressing the suspension slightly. Use a block of wood or books and put the car up there so it is resting on the suspension arms, but clear of the tires allowing them to spin and turn. Push down on the body to make the suspension compress a little so it is not at full droop. Then try it. Does the rubbing/chatter go away?

What i think you are seeing is that the driveline is NOT a like a full size car. A 1:1 car uses two (2) Cardan Joints. Using just one joint in a full size car would result in extreme vibration and chatter like you are seeing and classifying as rubbing. What is really happening is that the ends of the driveshaft are trying to spin at different speeds. The axle will accelerates and decelerates four time every revolution at these droop and steering angles. When the angles are the same on both ends or at lease less dramatic, they work ok, but when you introduce a significant angle change like 45į of steering AND full droop, the system gets out of wack. Too much angle change. In a real car, the steering angle is less and the droop is FAR FAR FAR less. You have 3" of down travel in a 1:1 and you have 3" of down travel in a 1:10. That is the same as 30" of down travel. It's common and you will see it on a lot of RC cars. It's all about the driveshaft setup, droop, and steering angles that are allowed.

Now, I say all that to also say that there could be some rubbing too. Not saying that what I described is for sure the issue, but I think that it is partially the issue. Just adding another perspective. If you are seeing a lot of rubbing even when the suspension is compressed some, there may be something else going on. But if it feels ok in normal use, don't focus on it too much. It's likely just the physics of the drive line and all will be just fine. Go bash it!!!

RC poster
    thanks for that info. I did find that so long as the car was sagging a bit loaded on the ground ( as opposed to testing with the car suspended in the air ), that the chattering was a bit less. So in the end , once I reduced the steering end points , and tested with the suspension compressed slightly , that the chatter was significantly reduced. (But if I did not reduce the steering end points , I could actually see the drive shafts physically rubbing up quite strongly against the axle carrier when the wheels were turned , even when the suspension was compressed). Would be interesting to know if anybody else checked for this. Thanks for all the great info. Most helpful.

I looked mine over after I read this thread and I only had enough rubbing to take a little of the black finish off the axle. I got mine in April.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk