RC Enthusiast

Servo Horn Troubles

I stripped the splines of the stock horn on my second outing. I replaced it with a metal one, but the little screw to the steering link worked it's way out on the next outing. Was I supposed to use Loctite or something? Any other suggestions to reduce the occurrence of horn issues? This is my first crawler. I have not had this problem in several years of owning a Slash and Stampede.

EDIT: if loctite is the solution, which one?
    Last edited by JohnnyCarlos; 10-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I would just put a small drop of the blue loctite on there. DO NOT USE THE RED.

My YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9c...rIucM37i_nx3aw

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeard258 View Post
    I would just put a small drop of the blue loctite on there. DO NOT USE THE RED.
    Yup, blue loctite. Or, put in a longer screw and back it with a nylock nut.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I had that issue the first time i swapped a horn, then realized if i take the servo out to tighten both bolts, i could actually get enough torque on it to keep it tight. Hasnt backed out yet over 10 hrs running.
    I caution against loctite because you could easily strip the head of those small cap screws trying to break them loose if you need to replace it.
    I like the nylon nut idea better, but really if torqued properly, the tension of the horn pushing (opening) against the bolt should be enough resistance to keep it tight.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    I caution against loctite because you could easily strip the head of those small cap screws trying to break them loose if you need to replace it. I like the nylon nut idea better, but really if torqued properly, the tension of the horn pushing (opening) against the bolt should be enough resistance to keep it tight.
    Welp, it's too late! It's on there already and cured. We'll find out today if it works. We'll find out if it worked too well later down the road. Either way, I'm glad I tried it because I learned something new.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

RC Qualifier
    Using blue loctite shouldn't be a problem. Lots of rc guys use it, I do. Haven't had any problems with stripped or rounded heads. You'll be fine.