RC poster

Hi Folks Fox edition upgrade to 2s?

I have bought my son a Traxxas Slash Fox edition, running all stock. He broke his front control arm already, and I am about to order replacement parts from aliexpress.com and also want to order 2s lipo for him, with a charger so that he can have a bit more run time.

My question is what size Lipo do I get for him, and charger, the local Traxxas dealer is very expensive in parts, example just 1 control arm is USD11.4 so the pair is USD23.00 roughly.

Whilst from aliexpress I can get it much cheaper and in aluminium, and want to also add 2s lipo to it....advise needed.

RC Enthusiast
    I, along with many other people on the forum, love using SMC lipos because of their quality for the price. As far as Mah goes, I would eat at least 5000 mah, but with whatever battery you go with, make sure the discharge rating is over 25c so you don’t damage your electronics. I’m not really an expert with recommending chargers, but there are a lot of options. I personally have a venom quad charger, however I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for based off your post. With that said, I’m pretty sure venom and dynamite make good chargers, so you can look into them. Traxxas also has their own line of batteries and chargers but I have no experience with them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ScentlessFern88 View Post
    I, along with many other people on the forum, love using SMC lipos because of their quality for the price. As far as Mah goes, I would eat at least 5000 mah, but with whatever battery you go with, make sure the discharge rating is over 25c so you don’t damage your electronics. I’m not really an expert with recommending chargers, but there are a lot of options. I personally have a venom quad charger, however I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for based off your post. With that said, I’m pretty sure venom and dynamite make good chargers, so you can look into them. Traxxas also has their own line of batteries and chargers but I have no experience with them.
    Unfortunately we don't get that brand, and if we did, they would be from a local dealer that would inflate the price.

I have selected the following Lion 2s 5200mAH, 30C continous and 60C burst, after a youtube review on them with use on a traxxas, I have asked that they are supplied with T-plug connector, and I will get an adapter or banana plug to change the traxxas out, unless someone has a better tip. Order has not been placed yet, as I am awaiting all your valuable experience.

Description

100% Brand New
    Capable of maximum continuous discharge rates up to 30C, burst rate 60C, placing this battery among the
    most powerful Li-Po battery packs in its class! It offer an excellent blend of weight, power and
    performance. Available in a wide variety of capacities and voltages, there\\\'s a battery perfect for almost
    any application from indoor slow flyer to large-scale sport and aerobatic airplane models, as well as micro
    to mid-sized helicopter models.

NOTE:

Do not bump, disassemble, short circuit and put the battery in fire.
    Stop using When It expends or the temperature is over 70 C.
    Keep away from kids thatthey can not get it.
    Vehicle *** may vary, we do not GUARANTY for any specific model, make sure it fit for use before your purchase.

Package including:

1 x 7.4v 5200mah 30C lipo Battery

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...3f6b3c00VfQpJC

RC Enthusiast
    If cost is a consideration, I would stay away from Lipo right now. The car will run much faster, and that means it will break more often, and that's even more money spent on repairs. Also Lipos are delicate, they require more attention and knowledge. More expensive too. NiMH are more forgiving and will last longer over the years. I've been using the same NiMH pack with my Slash for 3 years now, my Lipo is having trouble charging now and it's maybe 6 months old.

Edit: longer run-times also translates in to higher cost. Screws start to loosen and bringing it in to swap out the battery gives you a chance to catch it and tighten them before they fall out and causes more loss and damage. Also, the motor will run hotter longer.
    Last edited by JohnnyCarlos; 10-08-2018 at 07:55 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vanhack View Post
    I have bought my son a Traxxas Slash Fox edition, running all stock. He broke his front control arm already, and I am about to order replacement parts from aliexpress.com and also want to order 2s lipo for him, with a charger so that he can have a bit more run time.

My question is what size Lipo do I get for him, and charger, the local Traxxas dealer is very expensive in parts, example just 1 control arm is USD11.4 so the pair is USD23.00 roughly.

Whilst from aliexpress I can get it much cheaper and in aluminium, and want to also add 2s lipo to it....advise needed.
    Please, do not get the aluminum control arms. Get the RPM a arm set from a local dealer or off eBay if you wish. You shouldn't pay more than what RPM lists retail.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F141607595327

As for the LiPo batteries, SMC brand is available through their website, and are much higher quality than LION Brand.
    https://www.smc-racing.net/
    I also suggest the brand Gens Ace, again,you shouldn't pay more at a dealer than Gens Ace own list price.
    https://www.genstattu.com/

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Please, do not get the aluminum control arms. Get the RPM a arm set from a local dealer or off eBay if you wish.
    https://www.genstattu.com/

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Don't use alloy a arms unless you're building a dedicated speed runner. I'm also not a fan of RPM a arms. To soft and flex way to much. Std. a arms sprayed with WD40 and left overnight before wiping off are much better and rarely break. The WD spray makes them a little more flexible for added strength but nowhere near as soft as bendy RPM jobbies