Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    24

    Shall I buy new or secondhand?

    Hi all, new to the Traxxas scene. Have a HPI savage and want to get away from nitro due to it being unreliable and very noisy etc.
    Seeing that these brushless go so fast Iíd like to purchase one.
    Iím thinking of the platinum slash 4x4 as it comes with upgrades, Iíd like to run on grass mainly but a bit of bashing after a while. Is it better to but one secondhand that has already had money spent on it or should I buy new?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,568
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

    You can always get a new roller Platinum Edition off eBay. Get one without the motor and ESC so you can get whatever you want for it.

    Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by M3AL View Post
    Hi all, new to the Traxxas scene. Have a HPI savage and want to get away from nitro due to it being unreliable and very noisy etc.
    Seeing that these brushless go so fast Iíd like to purchase one.
    Iím thinking of the platinum slash 4x4 as it comes with upgrades, Iíd like to run on grass mainly but a bit of bashing after a while. Is it better to but one secondhand that has already had money spent on it or should I buy new?
    Buying used would be less $$$ than new if the used truck has upgrades and isn't trashed. It's always a good idea to see it in person and test drive it, otherwise buy new or get a roller and add electronics of your choice. I've built 4x4's from parts and still have $600-$800 in them.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,199
    I have had many Slash 4x4 trucks and I have only ever had one new one. You can get a good used Slash 4x4 but you have to make sure it feels tight. I usually get ones that are clean. That is a good indication that the truck was cared for.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier SummitonSlingrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    368
    I bought a Rustler used once, only part left is the chassis...
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Downriver,Michigan
    Posts
    147
    Good deals maybe had, but,I may not do it again. I'm probably basically just about even,but with slight upgrades.:-)

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,614
    It you were brand new to the hobby, I would say to buy new. But, having experience and knowing what all of the parts and pieces are, buy used, and put that extra cash into upgrades.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    262
    "Used" could mean anything. It could mean a well-cared for vehicle that barely got used in the back-yard a few times or a beat-to-crap vehicle that was hitting trees full-speed and doing cart-wheels on the concrete on a regular basis, etc. Many people sell their stuff because they know so many parts are on the edge of failing. You don't want to deal with that mess. But there are lots of good deals to be had if a good owner is simply getting out of the hobby. Use common sense.

    For a first vehicle, I think there is some benefit to buying new. Easier to learn along the way starting with a fresh truck.

    I started with a new Stampede 4x4 back in ~2011. That evolved into my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck and then I built another Stampede 4x4 from the spare parts.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 10-08-2018 at 03:50 PM.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Downriver,Michigan
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    "Used" could mean anything. It could mean a well-cared for vehicle that barely got used in the back-yard a few times or a beat-to-crap vehicle that was hitting trees full-speed and doing cart-wheels on the concrete on a regular basis, etc. Many people sell their stuff because they know so many parts are on the edge of failing. You don't want to deal with that mess. But there are lots of good deals to be had if a good owner is simply getting out of the hobby. Use common sense.

    For a first vehicle, I think there is some benefit to buying new. Easier to learn along the way starting with a fresh truck.
    s.
    What he said

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    24
    Thanks for all the replies, I havenít received any notifications hence why I didnít reply.
    I ended up buying a secondhand one at a really good price.
    Itís been heavily modded, capable to run 6S, has a 1/8 motor, metal driveshafts, spool setup etc.
    Iíve boight 2 x 3S batteries and itís too fast as it is and snapped a metal driveshaft on the first bash.
    God knows what 6S is like, wonít be trying it out anytime soon.
    It does make a clicking noise when hard turning? Could this be the servo gears?
    Should I uprated to the MIP x duty driveshafts?

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by M3AL View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I havenít received any notifications hence why I didnít reply.
    Gotta love Traxxas Forums. It does not seem to work like any other forums do.

    Quote Originally Posted by M3AL View Post
    I ended up buying a secondhand one at a really good price.
    Itís been heavily modded, capable to run 6S, has a 1/8 motor, metal driveshafts, spool setup etc.
    Iíve boight 2 x 3S batteries and itís too fast as it is and snapped a metal driveshaft on the first bash.
    God knows what 6S is like, wonít be trying it out anytime soon.
    It does make a clicking noise when hard turning? Could this be the servo gears?
    Should I uprated to the MIP x duty driveshafts?
    Is this only under acceleration? Any idea which metal drive shafts are in there now?

    MIP X-Duty are great, they take a beating and keep going. My only complaint is they add some significant weight to the vehicle and its rotational mass which is the worst kind of weight to add to the truck.

    -Liberty

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Gotta love Traxxas Forums. It does not seem to work like any other forums do.



    Is this only under acceleration? Any idea which metal drive shafts are in there now?

    MIP X-Duty are great, they take a beating and keep going. My only complaint is they add some significant weight to the vehicle and its rotational mass which is the worst kind of weight to add to the truck.

    -Liberty
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202324447901

    That’s what it has and one side snapped but that might have been from a land on concrete from a jump. I’ve ordered another set. I’ve done research and heard the MIP are the strongest, I’ll order these next if these don’t last.
    I’ll inspect clicking on hard turning when I’m back from Sweden, think it’s the gears in servo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •