Haven't been around for a bit

Hi folks,
    Well I've been offline a while as life situations have kept me quite busy. I've moved, just after moving I have lost my job after 16.5 years and trying to find another one. Wow, trying to put 36 years of experience onto 2 pages of a resume is one very daunting task.

No need to worry, I'll survive and my family is OK... IT's been a very stressful job and I do not expect the company I work for to last much longer as they have sold their building, major vendors not being paid, over 30% of their work force. All orders are going out late and they are lying to their customers about the order status.... Very stressful, the owners lie to themselves as well as their employees. I'm better off and my family believes this as well.

It's very weird being unemployed, there is no unemployment as they are fighting my claim saying I was let go because of "Job abandonment". Seriously? After 16.5 years? They will find out how much I handled for them as their only I.T. person/Director,engineer. I wore a lot of hats....

Resume is up to date now and I'm on the hunt... Just very weird, not used to being unemployed, but also welcome being away from such a hostile work environment. I've stuck with them only because of the job security... It's been a hard 16.5 years and I hope to work for a place where they appreciate my dedication.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

All power to you mate.
    Don't worry, good workers always find work.
    Good luck on the beginning of a new adventure.

That really sucks, best of luck finding gainful employment.

Unemployment insurance is a bill employers REALLY do not like to pay. When my wife lost her job she was told she was not eligible because the company had her listed as a part time employee, even though she worked full time. She had to submit her last two year's worth of pay stubs to prove she was full time. The company folded before any action could be taken against them.

As far as the job search goes, do not forget USAJOBS, there are likely federal jobs in your area you'd qualify for. Plus, USAJOBS does not follow the 2-page resume format, basically they want you to puke your entire work history on to the application, and when you have puked all you can, puke some more.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

So sorry to hear of your troubles.
    As I mentioned years ago, IT people up here make a good living and have good benefits. It follows and I have faith that something better for you is just around the corner.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Best of luck Nitro!!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Man that sucks NN, sorry to hear that. Just pray n put it in Gods hands, he will help u n ur family. Good luck brother!!!!!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

That is a true bite losing your job of 16.5 years. Really sorry to hear that Rob. My whole life would fall apart if I lost my job.
    Many companies out there looking for a good info tech guy. Sure you will find a job soon.

Will always be thinking positive thoughts for you and family, friend!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear about the rough times. Your family and you have been though a lot. Best of wishes. Keep your head up high.

Sorry to hear the news. You and your family have had some rough times recently.

I hope all will start to go your way soon.

Prayers are still going out to you and yours.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Hey man, if you're looking for work, come up to Alaska. People are always hiring up here in Skagway, and it's pretty decent money too.

Sorry to hear about that brother. It's good to see you around still though! Thanks for the update.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    That is a true bite losing your job of 16.5 years. Really sorry to hear that Rob. My whole life would fall apart if I lost my job.
    Many companies out there looking for a good info tech guy. Sure you will find a job soon.

Will always be thinking positive thoughts for you and family, friend!
    Still hunting, lots of contractor type jobs, I am holding out until I find a job I will get some feeling of accomplishment.

Honestly my last job I ran the show but the working environment was the worst... I felt like an indentured servant/slave. Not appreciated and demeaned in front of others... I wasn't alone, 3 other people have just left and they arre in trouble with paying their vendors... The writing is on the wall, they sold the building they owned and we worked in. To be honest, I've got money saved as I was seeing this coming, not much but we are surviving.

I am taking walks, hunting for jobs and working on things I've put off to keep me busy... I do NOT miss that God aweful place. They even had me working when on vacation.... THey lie to their employees and many are looking to leave. The president of the production dept. left last week. Key anchor people are wanting out. So it's a good thing... I've not felt so less stressed in years.

Who ever get's me is getting a dedicated employee who thinks out of the box and makes things work well. So I'm not too worried... Just hope something comes through before the money runs out...

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted....

You can't keep a good man down. U.S. Navy tough!!!! I am even trying for Gov't jobs with Veterans preferences....

Time to make lemonade from lemons.. Everyone's thoughts and prayers are great and help keep me going, so thanks so very much....
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Hope all gets well for you and yours Nitronaught. I donít think you will have any issues getting another job. Keep your head high and donít get discouraged! I too had to change professions after 18yrs as a cell site technician. Sucks big time!!! Anyhow. God Bless and keep at it!!

Things definitely have changed for the better

I know I've been offline for a while, got a bit caught up in all the stuff. My old job was literally making me ill. To the point medications for anxiety were being taken and THAT'S NO GOOD!!!

My hunting for jobs got me quite frustrated but family and faith kept me going.... I've jumped off the I.T. ship entirely and if anyone told me I would be working where I am now I would have told them they are out of their minds... But, I've never been in better shape physically, mentally and emotionally. I've lost 30 lbs, my boss texts me after hours saying he appreciates what I do. So, what do I do?
    I am now the shop manager of an auto repair shop for someone I've known for 30 years. He's forgotten more about vehicles than I'll ever know, he runs an honest shop, has another mechanic that is top notch and really good people!!!!

I'm ordering parts, scheduling the repairs and venting out the calls and keeping the owner off the phone, also dealing with the customers and doing the estimates and invoicing of the labor and parts. To be honest it's pretty complex, some items I need to order have to be factory OEM, others not. Knowing the vendors and the slew of vehicles we service is unreal and totally out of my wheelhouse. But somehow I'm getting the hang of it and also bringing some skills that my boss really appreciates as he's not the greatest for being organized. Keeps it all up in his head...
    I've taken 35 years of being in computers and thrown it into the trash heap to work in the auto repair field, mainly air conditioning. Oh, I've also freshened up my brazing skills and am pretty good at it, as well as learning TIG welding. I do a lot of rebuilding of the air conditioning lines now and am in O-ring ****. loll But I'm actually enjoying it all.

End result, I am on my feet from 7:30 AM till after 6PM 15 minutes for lunch, and, I'm loving it... Never been in better shape and feel like part of a team that works together...

So things have turned for the better, it was by pure accident this has worked out and I Thank God for looking out for me and my family.... This is going to be a tough change as the busy season approaches and I hope I'm up to the task. So far, so good.

Have a Great New Year all my friends! Hope to get my SuperMaxx build done this year, have ALL the UE Parts, just need the time...
    All Lives Matter

Awesome! Flat out awesome! Was wondering where you have been and was going to send you a PM but there you be!
    The Super Derecho

Great to hear!!!

A lot of times it isn't actually the change in what you do that makes the difference, but changing the people you do it with. IT sounds cool, but a lot of the job isn't fun. I have always enjoyed futzing with computers and networks, but all of that is overshadowed when it comes to dealing with customers. I got lucky a lot of years ago, I was thinking of getting into two very different fields, IT and law enforcement. I went into the law enforcement gig first, I got lucky, where I was stationed gave me the opportunity to be the command's IT guy as well, and to pick up my certifications. I enjoyed my time there, but it taught me that both law enforcement and IT were not vocations I wanted to pursue.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Well donít feel bad Nitronaught, I changed professions after being a cell site tech for 18yrs! I now work on plane avionics. Didnít know much about planes and still donít, but love my job so much better! Donít have to travel and be out of town for weeks on end anymore! When one door closes another will open! Glad to see you are enjoying the new job! God Bless and stay well!!

Well now, thatís a surprise! So glad that you found some greener pastures on that side of the fence. Some of us may be a little jealous as well as being glad for you.
    Wishes for a Blessed and Happy New Year for you and for yours.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    It's great to year things are turning around for you nitronaught. Your always so positive about things. It's always tough when you abandon one profession for another. Wish you good luck down the road.

I feel I can relate to a bit of what you write. I was in one profession for years and the economy went bad and lost a great job, house and starting a family at the time. So now I'm doing a job I like, pays good with great stability, and a pension.

I've got a new build coming. 1:1 build. 1970-73 Camaro Z28, LS1, 6 speed auto tranny, coilovers, fuel injected with all the modern goodies of today... A true Resto-Mod....

Thanks everyone, had to share the news asmy last job was literally killing me.... I suck in there for a steasy paycheck and getting my kids through school. I don't have that worry anymore.
    All Lives Matter

Awesome to hear about your change in luck... God is good!

Have fun with your build.

Here's some inspiration for your build.

This has a LT1, but your LS1 would be better:

Came across a decent 1970 Z28.... On the fence. Price is good for what it is and the body and frame is in good shape, but it will require a full rebuild engine and tranny which fits into the budget.... So tempted to pull the trigger but it's in another state and I need to see it 1st hand thenif I do get it down to Florida. Ugh.

Ls1 is definitely the power plant, either going Muncie or a nice 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters and a tuneable shift engagement.... Tis way the wife can drive it too. Then again that may motivate me to go manual... loll

Thanks everyone. I go to work in the dark, come home in the dark but with a smile on my face. I really didn't realize how miserable I was until I moved on... Best thing I could have ever done.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like things are picking up for you, great to hear. You've been through alot and deserve a good path to travel on. Hope the new car project works out for you. A good why to keep busy and keep your mind together. Good luck

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Hey, Nitro! Glad to see you're doing so well and back in the workforce with a job you like! I too, have not been on the forums for a LONG time. Not for the same reasons. Mainly have been doing like a lot of others, and have been on the FB boards a lot. I did go through the same thing years ago when the Hobbytown I was managing closed up shop. This was like 2008! (has it really been so long?) and we were struggling like so many others. The owner decided to simply retire before he dipped further into his funds to keep things afloat during those rough times. We both had tears the day he told me, as he was living his dream and he knew I was too. He didn't fight the unemployment at all and I used that time to work on my house which paid off when my wife lost her state job with great benefits and tons of perks. We had treated our house like a bank account and had always made extra payments. We turned a tidy profit when we sold it and had enough equity to buy a house for cash when we moved to a area of the state that didn't have quite the pricey real estate market. We moved back to her hometown, we both have jobs we love, no debt, and live around the corner from our niece and my wife's family. Sometimes, when you go through a door the one that opens is great, even if it is scary.

I'm still loving the RC game, and I work second shift with plenty of time for my hobby after work each day. Having a bigger house than before, the basement was all mine to set up how I pleased. I have a workshop for everyday stuff & woodworking and a separate setup for my RC stuff. I installed an indoor paint booth, storage area, a hunting room, workout space and my own bathroom. Heck, we even had enough cash when we moved in to build a matching shed for my Harley and all my camping gear.

Maybe I'll get on here a little more often than I have been. It's good to see some familiar names on here! I'm mostly into the world of micro (1/24th & 1/35th) scalers than anything else these days, but still have my tricked out original Slash, fully built gen one E 4-Tec and a 1/16th Fiesta.

Recently, I needed to do some touch ups on my basement floor, and after applying a good coat of epoxy paint, I put a racetrack on the floor. My basement is like a mini hobby shop!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Congrats to you and your "new" life.

Please post pics of your man cave/basement!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Congrats to you and your "new" life.

Please post pics of your man cave/basement!
    You talking to me? Here ya go....

My den

Main RC workbench

Basement crawl space

Racetrack floor

New paintbooth

Other work area

Gotta park the micros somewhere!

Current fleet

My other love

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Very nice.

Thank you!

RC poster
    Wow pretty awesome.

Update guys,,, I'm doing well at the shop and we have more work than we can handle.. Her's some of the customs we have been working on... Also have a 1934 Mercury Woody with a 502 LS BB setup with custom chassis and dual Ram air injection. I'll get those posted later.

This is a tru, metal body Deuce Coup with a Ford Flat Head in it...

Here's a 72 Malibu badged as a Chevelle SS, but Wildwood brakes, 396 BB, 6 speed maual, rack & pinion steering, Vintage A/C.

True 454 BB with LS system. Lot's of shiny parts.

A fiberglass kit but stull very cool.

Yeah, we get a lot of regular cars, but these are some cool highlights... It's been tough, never worked harder physically in decades... But, it's gotten my body in shape and I work with 2 great guys, together. No back stabbing. Wow, what a difference... I feel truly blessed.
    Would you believe I have ALL the parts for my Towered VBS monblocked Predator including the RacerX setbacks and have not had the time to even touch it... I'll get it together soon. Transition from 36 years in I.T. to hands on shop manager is one heck of a task. loll Blessed...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-11-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: *s, tsk tsk
    All Lives Matter

Glad you are enjoying it!
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Sending good vibes from Tennessee.

RC Qualifier
    Good to see everything is working out for you. You deserve some good in life.