RC Enthusiast

Lipo with brushed motor compared to NiMH w/ brushless?

If the voltages are about the same for the batteries, which combination will give the best performance? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Speed will be the same, but the Lipo will stay that speed way longer. The NiMH will drop off as soon as you start moving.

Why would you want old technology paired up with new in both cases?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Well I will say this. I keep my NiMH batteries charged, when I wanna go out for a quick rip I can. Then I can leave the battery dead or charge it quickly vs. having to "take care of" or "wait" for my Lipo's.

If I had to wait for my lipo's to charge up (and or storage charge them), I would hardly ever drive my stuff with my schedule.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Why would you want old technology paired up with new in both cases?
    I recently bought my grandson/son a brushed Stampede which I plan to give them around Thanksgiving; something that the grandson could handle. I took it out the other day and ran a Traxxas 3000mAh 8.4v NiMH through it to break in the motor, as Traxxas recommends. I was able to get it to do wheelies when turning around after driving a long, straight stretch. If in the future he wants a little more performance, I was just trying to determine the least expensive route. My son really doesn't know much about R/C, so he may be satisfied with it as it is. The only lipo that traxxas recommends for this vehicle is a 7.4v, so I was wondering how it'd compare to the 8.4v, beside the long run time.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DarianRachal View Post
    I recently bought my grandson/son a brushed Stampede which I plan to give them around Thanksgiving; something that the grandson could handle. I took it out the other day and ran a Traxxas 3000mAh 8.4v NiMH through it to break in the motor, as Traxxas recommends. I was able to get it to do wheelies when turning around after driving a long, straight stretch. If in the future he wants a little more performance, I was just trying to determine the least expensive route. My son really doesn't know much about R/C, so he may be satisfied with it as it is. The only lipo that traxxas recommends for this vehicle is a 7.4v, so I was wondering how it'd compare to the 8.4v, beside the long run time.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses.
    I have the exact same question. My son is just getting into the "real" RC world and I only know what i've read. @Dairian's question is the same as I was looking for. I don't like the idea of babysitting a battery, but I also want to see him enjoy his new RC. The lipo's I'm leaning towards not for speed improvements but for longevity of battery life so that he has as much run time as possible. His old entry level RC's would last 15mins max and then needing to recharge. Doesn't make for much long term enjoyment.

So yes, for me, I have the same battery currently as @Dairian. (Traxxas 3000mAh 8.4v NiMH) Looking for the least expensive route and the recommended 7.4v Lipo option.

Thanks for the post @Dairian.