RC Racer

Any idea what's going on with this?

I was out this past Sunday for a nice morning of crawling with my Trx-4 and things were going pretty smooth.

As we were heading back towards the car my truck just died. It isn't actually die, but I had to turn the remote off then back on. This was cool for about 20 minutes then I had to do it again.

Any idea what that might be? Weak batteries in the remote, maybe?

Did you see if the ESC was flashing, and if so, what color and how fast?

Did you have steering?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Yea typically when a vehicle "dies" like that, the speed control will give some sort of message telling you what happened. I know my castles and tekins will do it every once in a while and they say they lost signal do they went into shutdown till I reset the remote. Never had to wait any length of time though.. that seems like a heat issue which would be odd on a crawler.

RC Racer
    To be honest, I didn't even look to see what the ESC was indicating, but I guess I should if it happens again.

I had no control at all - no steering, no servo locks, no power to the wheels. Turning the REMOTE off and then on fixed it right away.

I should clarify (sorry, but I can't edit my OP now), after it happened the first time it was fine for about 20 minutes before doing it again. I used the word "cool" as in "OK", but I should have worded it better. Definitely no heat issues (could touch the motor and ESC with my finger and they didn't even feel too warm).
    Last edited by Trailwalker; 10-10-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supradude26 View Post
    Never had to wait any length of time though.. that seems like a heat issue which would be odd on a crawler.
    Depends on the crawler. The Wraith is nothing but a heat issue for a brushed motor, you have to balance the gearing and motor just right to avoid it. Plus, if, for some reason, his drive train was bound up, that could cause the ESC to go into thermal protection, which would shut the whole mess down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    To be honest, I didn't even look to see what the ESC was indicating, but I guess I should if it happens again.

I had no control at all - no steering, no servo locks, no power to the wheels. Turning the REMOTE off and then on fixed it right away.

I should clarify (sorry, but I can't edit my OP now), after it happened the first time it was fine for about 20 minutes before doing it again. I used the word "cool" as in "OK", but I should have worded it better. Definitely no heat issues (could touch the motor and ESC with my finger and they didn't even feel too warm).
    What batteries are you running and is your ESC in lipo mode?

Are you still running the stock steering servo?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    What batteries are you running and is your ESC in lipo mode?

Are you still running the stock steering servo?
    In this case, I was running a 5000mah Venon MIMH (8.4v, 7-cell). Had put that pack in maybe 15 minutes before this started happening, although I fully discharged another just before that after 1.5h of crawling. I've used these batteries for months without trouble on all of my trucks. LIPO mode was off (solid red light).

The servo is not stock, but I've had it in the truck for months without issue - it's one of those 20KG servos. The truck wasn't under any kind of stress when it stopped responding (literally just walking down a trail to my car).

I'm going to try and get out in the next few days to see if it happens again. I've fully charged the remote batteries and I'll try to use the same 5000mah nimh battery I used before.