RC poster

Question Buying used Summit need help

Im going to be new to owing a summit but don't have the money to spend on something new. And found one for sale locally near me and they only want $400 for it and was wondering what I should look for and be careful about when checking it out i ll post the link here. https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/t...695412280.html

Take care that all of the servos are working and not clicking or fighting each other. Listen and feel for roughness in the differentials.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC poster
    Ok thank you

RC Champion
    A brand new one is only $469.00 see if you can get him to come down to $300 or $350. The batteries and charger help with the pricing but for another $69 I would get a new one with better batteries and a better charger and if there is something wrong with a new one you have the Traxxas warranty.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    that looks really good shape, thats a nice dual charger i have that one, those are nice batteries too, offer him 300 350 would be nice deal for that, looks great, ur gonna luv it, i luv mine

That's a darn good deal. The dual charger and the lipos makes it worth at least $400.
    But still offer him $300. Summits are hard to sell locally (in my experience ) and depending how long he has been advertising i he probably will lower the price.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    Going to check it out tomorrow. Hope its a good find can't wait.
    Last edited by TechnoGears; 10-11-2018 at 07:14 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGears View Post
    Going to check it out tomorrow. Hope its a good find can't wait.
    Did you end up buying it?

RC poster
    Yes I bought it

RC Qualifier
    Yes I bought it
    That's great for you. How is the truck overall? What price did you get the seller to agree too?

Yes I bought it
    Wecome to the club.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    That's great for you. How is the truck overall? What price did you get the seller to agree too?
    I couldn't get him to go down on the price so I paid him the full $400 but I think it was worth it. And the truck is basically new no sctraches on it has never been ran though water and both batteries hold a full charge. Also alot bigger than it looks in videos on youtube.

RC Champion
    I couldn't get him to go down on the price so I paid him the full $400 but I think it was worth it. And the truck is basically new no sctraches on it has never been ran though water and both batteries hold a full charge. Also alot bigger than it looks in videos on youtube.
    Welcome to the insanity. Enjoy
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC poster
    Turns out one of the servos was bad and the guy just removed the gears so he could run the one I didn't know it was bad until I stripped the other one. So I bought a new servo and metal gear kit for both servos and now it turns a lot better and quicker.

RC Qualifier
    The servos are the one main thing that need to be watched on these things. Some people have great luck and others not so much. I upgraded mine and it turns so much better when crawling then it did. In the end itís up to you to decide how much turning power you need. Crawling in rocks and such you may find that the stock servos donít have enough power to turn the wheels all the time. Just from my own experience with one. Good day.

Turns out one of the servos was bad and the guy just removed the gears so he could run the one I didn't know it was bad until I stripped the other one. So I bought a new servo and metal gear kit for both servos and now it turns a lot better and quicker.

Metal gear kit for the standard Traxxas servos? Please enlighten us with the details and purchase link.
    I have a bag full of little blue boxes that I curse at after failing to find one that works.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Man I swear the stock servos arenít powerful enough for the Summit. JMO. But before you go spending too much on parts you may want to look into a better servo with more oz. of turning power. Something in the 3-400oz range. I am running dual savox servos and I get right at 550oz of torque out of them. Youíll want the extra torque if you do much of any crawling and climbing. JMHO.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Metal gear kit for the standard Traxxas servos? Please enlighten us with the details and purchase link.
    I have a bag full of little blue boxes that I curse at after failing to find one that works.
    Heres the purchase link https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2072X part number 2072x if link doesnt work. Found out about the metal gears trying to find a video on how to replace the plastic gears with new ones and found a traxxas video which turned out to be for a metal gear kit that's honestly all I know about it.

RC Qualifier
    I just noticed Traxxas makes two high power waterproof servos. Part #2250 @ 330oz and part#2255 @ 400oz at 6.0v able to be used at 7.4v. I think I found my new servo when my two 2075's die. Sorry TechnoGears for off topic talk, got excited seeing them looking up the metal gear kit.

RC Qualifier
    Rip off. Go savox 0231 MG.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Rip off. Go savox 0231 MG.
    Not much for self-censoring are you? Please consider giving opinions regarding subjects with which you are familiar.

The Savox 0231MG would not be my choice since its 208 oz-in of torque would not swing my Summit's tires like I would want. Therefore I'd need two. I wouldn't want two because of the greater power draw vs one AND the good chance the pair will need synchronized periodically. ANY pair of servos would. Also, the Summit tends to run servos at closer to their maximum limit than other vehicles would. This is mostly due to the terrain upon which they are run. A brushless servo for $150 is not a bad deal at all. A premium coreless servo for $100 is also not a crazy price point. Though not Traxxas-brand, I run a few and do not regret spending the additional money on them.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Enthusiast
    So the traxxas servos don't worth the money .?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Not much for self-censoring are you? Please consider giving opinions regarding subjects with which you are familiar.

The Savox 0231MG would not be my choice since its 208 oz-in of torque would not swing my Summit's tires like I would want. Therefore I'd need two. I wouldn't want two because of the greater power draw vs one AND the good chance the pair will need synchronized periodically. ANY pair of servos would. Also, the Summit tends to run servos at closer to their maximum limit than other vehicles would. This is mostly due to the terrain upon which they are run. A brushless servo for $150 is not a bad deal at all. A premium coreless servo for $100 is also not a crazy price point. Though not Traxxas-brand, I run a few and do not regret spending the additional money on them.
    Sorry I wasnít trying to be hostile? Just stating what I think. Besides, 208 is all you need. Anything besides that is if youíre putting your wheels against a rock and using the steering to move said rock. Just my 2 cents!

Remember, this is just me. Iím not being hostile. Youíd yell at me if I talked about it being in my senton hauling all that weight around so what was I supposed to say? It has no problem in my revo. And no Traxxas servos arenít worth the money at least the expensive ones. For big cars like this itís better to run 2 servos of slightly less power anywah because when you have collisions and shocks through the servos you have 2 sets of gears to absorb it instead of 1.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 11-21-2018 at 05:14 PM.