Thread: GTR Shocks

RC poster

GTR Shocks

I'm aware of the 7461X and 7462X GTR shocks available for the Rustler & Slash 4x4s, but in the parts list for the Rustler 4x4, green & blue anodized versions are added. The Rustler parts list mentions about 7461/7462(blue) & 7461G/7462G(green). Both of these don't generate anything in the search function as being available yet.

Can anyone from Traxxas chime in with details? Thanks in advance.

RC poster
    Id be very interested in the green ones

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    So....green, blue and red? I’d love....black.
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
    So....green, blue and red? I’d love....black.
    The 7461X and 7462X basically are already black.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostingSnail View Post
    The 7461X and 7462X basically are already black.

There also made of plastic, not aluminum.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmatti View Post
    There also made of plastic, not aluminum.
    The body of the shock is PTFE coated aluminum....not plastic..this is the part that they are anodizing. I think the only thing plastic on them are the caps.

RC poster
    Bump...hoping to hear from someone at Traxxas on the availability of the anodized versions advertised in the parts list that came with the car.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up my rustler and put my gtr shocks on that I had on my rally..they fit with no problems

RC poster
    The blue anodized GTRs are coming as standard equipment on the Slash 4x4 Ultimate.

Annnnnd..I'd be willing to bet the green ones are coming as standard equipment on the future Rustler 4x4 Ultimate.

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered off eBay some gtr shocks that were pulled from a slash. Should have them mid next week. This truck needs better shocks

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by E-fanatic View Post
    I just ordered off eBay some gtr shocks that were pulled from a slash. Should have them mid next week. This truck needs better shocks
    I bit the bullet too. Mine came yesterday. Put 40wt oil in them and wow, what a world of difference. It's going to save a lot of road rash marks because it won't bottom out as easy.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostingSnail View Post
    I bit the bullet too. Mine came yesterday. Put 40wt oil in them and wow, what a world of difference. It's going to save a lot of road rash marks because it won't bottom out as easy.
    Glad to hear they work better than the stock shocks. Can't wait to get mine

RC Qualifier
    love my gtr shocks very smooth way better then stock ones.who's ever thinking of buying them don't hesitate.also makes the truck look so much nicer then the stock plastic gray ones

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    love my gtr shocks very smooth way better then stock ones.who's ever thinking of buying them don't hesitate.also makes the truck look so much nicer then the stock plastic gray ones
    I agree on both accounts. This should of been the first upgrade I made, but because it wasn't, my chassis looks 5 years old already.

RC poster
    What part numbers in the gtr shocks fit? Front and rear

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by texashunter123 View Post
    what part numbers in the gtr shocks fit? Front and rear

sent from my sm-g965u using tapatalk
    7461x & 7462x

RC Enthusiast
    Have my gtr shocks installed. Much smoother feeling than the stock shocks. Can't wait to drive the truck and see how they really feel

RC poster
    what springs do you use the original rustler ones?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GobbleStalker View Post
    what springs do you use the original rustler ones?
    Can’t. The stock ones won’t fit the GTR’s bigger bore body. I just got the GTR’s at my LHS, and brought them home to install them and discovered the springs are too narrow. I’ve ordered VG Racing springs myself.
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

I bought a set of GTR shocks off of eBay, they came with oil in them already. What method are you guys using to disassemble them? I want to change the oil but not damage the bodies.
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC Qualifier
    There is a tool that comes with the truck to take the shocks apart. Use it as if not you do risk damaging them.

RC Qualifier
    Here is a pic of the multi tool. Hope this helps.

So you are saying that this will remove the shock caps to replace the oil?

The last multi-tool I got with a Traxxas vehicle was just a nut driver in various sizes...
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC Qualifier
    When you bought the truck, I assume you got it new. In the kit if tools that come with it there should be a multi tool like the one above and also a wrench to use for top of the shock that is in the form of a nut. If you didn’t get the multi tool Lomé above there is a black one that looks like this. It’s one or the other.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't get anything like that in my box

RC poster
    Mine eaither

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    When you bought the truck, I assume you got it new. In the kit if tools that come with it there should be a multi tool like the one above and also a wrench to use for top of the shock that is in the form of a nut. If you didn’t get the multi tool Lomé above there is a black one that looks like this. It’s one or the other.
    This is not the multi-tool. This is the Traxxas 17mm hex wrench.

5475 is what you need to remove the top and bottom caps of the shocks.

I believe they should come standard on the vehicles that have the GTR shocks installed and there are references w/pictures in their manuals on how to use it.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-24-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I posted wrong pic again. Posted pic of the multi tool first. Should have left well enough alone.

Thanks for the info, I have a set of GTRs on my Rally VXL and plan on getting another set for the Rustler.

Will order the multi-tool with the next set of GTRs
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC poster
    Bought my first ever rc this week and it arrives next week. Did a lot of research online, watching YouTube videos, talking to LHS, friends and reading posts on forums like this. I settled on the rustler 4x4 vxl brushless. Came across this post suggesting the gtr shocks are a worth while upgrade, so I started to look into it them but I have some questions, 1) should a newbie upgrade to the gtr shocks right away? 2) if so there is gtr long hard or gtr-xx long hard, which one do I get? 3)there is a bunch of different shock springs, which one is suitable for me?
    I plan on keeping the rest of the truck stock and bashing to start and maybe down the road do some racing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklehead View Post
    Bought my first ever rc this week and it arrives next week. Did a lot of research online, watching YouTube videos, talking to LHS, friends and reading posts on forums like this. I settled on the rustler 4x4 vxl brushless. Came across this post suggesting the gtr shocks are a worth while upgrade, so I started to look into it them but I have some questions, 1) should a newbie upgrade to the gtr shocks right away? 2) if so there is gtr long hard or gtr-xx long hard, which one do I get? 3)there is a bunch of different shock springs, which one is suitable for me?
    I plan on keeping the rest of the truck stock and bashing to start and maybe down the road do some racing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Just my opinion, This is your first ever R/C. I would run it in stock form and get to know your R/C before you start changing things. Enjoy it for what it is then later you can decide whether or not you want to upgrade or if your still happy with R/C in general.

If you do decide to upgrade the shocks, the long is for the front and the xx-long are for the rear. As far as what springs to get, it depends on what you want to do with the truck. But I would enjoy it in stock form and upgrade as you see fit.
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC poster
    Ok,thanks for the advice

Just a quick update regarding the Multi-tool part #TRA5475,the tool only fits the shocks meant for the erevo & summit. It is too small for the GTR shocks meant for the Slash and similar vehicles - FYI
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4