Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Good mods for a beginner.

So just yesterday I purchased a Slash 4X4 model 68086-4 with the ďFox bodyĒ and was wondering what some good supporting mods are? I will mainly be using it for hill climbing and racing around my yard. It may change as time comes but for now thatís mainly what Iíll be using for. So I guess what Iím asking is what mods will be a good idea or it? Iíve seen people upgrade to and aluminum shafts and all that good stuff. Just wondering what web site is the best for buying stuff or what you guys recommend. I live in rocky West Virginia so Iíd imagine Iíd need to upgrade the shafts and I will need to get bigger tires. And what is the best way to clean these? Thanks for the input guys!

As I was told, "...run it until something breaks..." Then that's the part you need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    As I was told, "...run it until something breaks..." Then that's the part you need to upgrade.
    Agreed; I went upgrade crazy in the beginning, this can add up in lots of $/Ę real fast.
    The trucks looked great but didn't do anything they couldn't before all the changes.
    As I hear a lot nowadays "Just send it"
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Welcome to the forums!!!

The number of mods out there will make your head spin. Like the others have said, just run your truck, have fun, do some reading, and you'll figure out what you want to change to make it your truck. But, there are things you can get right now to put a bigger grin on your face...

Batteries and charger...
    - The stock battery is ok, but the stock charger sucks. Look at investing in a decent charger, one that will charge and maintain all chemestries (mainly NiMH and Lipo).
    - A lot of people will scream "GO LIPO", which isn't a bad idea, but it does increase the learning curve for the new in the hobby. When you are ready, lipo packs are great upgrade, and are not any more or less dangerous than any other pack. If you are happy with the performance of your NiMH pack for now, stick with it, and get another one (or two). The biggest mistake people make with NiMH packs is running them down to where the truck can no longer move, this heat-stresses the pack, and will ruin it. There will be a point in the pack's run where your truck will suddenly have about 50% speed at full throttle, this is the point where the pack has "dumped", and where you should stop running it, pull it from the truck, let it cool, then recharge.

Tools...
    - Those little black hex wrenches you got with your truck are junk, and will cause a lot of frustration. A good set of hex drivers are a little spendy, but they are will worth the investment.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Billy is correct! Just drive it and enjoy it. They are great right out of the box! Get to know the truck, see how it handles. Upgrade parts when they break
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Welcome to the forums!!!

The number of mods out there will make your head spin. Like the others have said, just run your truck, have fun, do some reading, and you'll figure out what you want to change to make it your truck. But, there are things you can get right now to put a bigger grin on your face...

Batteries and charger...
    - The stock battery is ok, but the stock charger sucks. Look at investing in a decent charger, one that will charge and maintain all chemestries (mainly NiMH and Lipo).
    - A lot of people will scream "GO LIPO", which isn't a bad idea, but it does increase the learning curve for the new in the hobby. When you are ready, lipo packs are great upgrade, and are not any more or less dangerous than any other pack. If you are happy with the performance of your NiMH pack for now, stick with it, and get another one (or two). The biggest mistake people make with NiMH packs is running them down to where the truck can no longer move, this heat-stresses the pack, and will ruin it. There will be a point in the pack's run where your truck will suddenly have about 50% speed at full throttle, this is the point where the pack has "dumped", and where you should stop running it, pull it from the truck, let it cool, then recharge.

Tools...
    - Those little black hex wrenches you got with your truck are junk, and will cause a lot of frustration. A good set of hex drivers are a little spendy, but they are will worth the investment.
    Hobby town Where I bought it was very helpful because I told the guy I basically wanted a nitro but was on the fence and talked me into electric but I bought the double charger with 7600 Lipo? Batteries and havenít been let down with them the 3 times Iíve ran it. And Iím a diesel technician so the tools arenít really a problem with the tool dealers that come to the shop and a good friend that sells Cornwell tools so thatís all covered. But Iím just getting used to it now but was wondering where I could get a bigger tire setup from since the ground clearance is so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

You can use 2.8” wheels/tires or 1/8th buggy wheels/tires.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Had my first casualty. Shock pulled out and took the oil in it with it. Whatís a good shock for these?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn.house102 View Post
    Had my first casualty. Shock pulled out and took the oil in it with it. Whatís a good shock for these?

The GTR shocks from the ultimate are a very nice choice. Aluminum threaded bodies. They are slightly larger and have a higher oil capacity. Iíve never had issues with the caps popping off. Or you could always get the aluminum shock caps for the stock shocks.

Both are nice choices

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, ultrashox sux (caps poping off, shafts bend), GTR is gr8 upgrade, mainly cuz TiNi buttersmooth shafts and aluminium everywhere (not sure if big body makes a real difference at such a small scale), proline is also gr8 choice...but...hard to believe, nobody makes highend shocks with externaly tuneable rebound and LSC (at least)...maybe time to start a bussines

RC Enthusiast
    If you are on a budget, you can upgrade your stock Ultra Shocks with aluminum shock caps and hardened shafts for about half the cost of GTR's. When upgraded, the Ultra Shocks are not a bad shock.

RC Racer
    I would start with something like the traxxas sway bars. I have both the VXL's and the Ultimate's, I am thinking the sway bars on the Ultimate models are what makes the most difference in the handling of the two. The ultimate's do seem to handle quite a bit better then the standard VXLs, I have always thought the sway bars are likely the main reason for that.
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

RC poster
    So while putting the new rubber diaphragms in my shocks I noticed this leak up at the front diff. Is there a seal in behind there? And what kind of oil will this take?

So while putting the new rubber diaphragms in my shocks I noticed this leak up at the front diff. Is there a seal in behind there? And what kind of oil will this take?

Every Slash 4x4 I have ever owned has had differentials that leak. I used to be hyper vigilant about trying to stop it. After eight years I just check to make sure that there is fluid in it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Every Slash 4x4 I have ever owned has had differentials that leak. I used to be hyper vigilant about trying to stop it. After eight years I just check to make sure that there is fluid in it.
    I am pretty disappointed to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    I am pretty disappointed to hear that

I've managed to get a few to hold, but it's kinda painstaking making sure that x-ring stays put. I'm more like el sob, once it feels like an open diff, Time to refill.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I've managed to get a few to hold, but it's kinda painstaking making sure that x-ring stays put. I'm more like el sob, once it feels like an open diff, Time to refill.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Ok, I donít expect to hold forever but for how long they can ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Ok, I don’t expect to hold forever but for how long they can ?

Your differentials like any other vehicle require maintenance, a little seepage is not an abnormal thing, with some routine maintenance running low on diff fluid should never be a problem.
    I believe all hobby grade RC's would fall into the same category; we tend to just toss WallyWorld cheapo's but these rig's need to repaired according to driving challenges given them.
    As far as how long it will take for a certain fluid loss it will depend on the weight of fluid you run as well as ambient temps which will effect the total heat produced inside the differential.
    Sometimes after just sitting thru the winter I'll spin my diff's to see if any fluid resistance is noticeable; I had to fill three diff's when summer began while the others were still holding fine.
    I personally enjoy working on my rigs, I often find myself taking things apart that don't really need it but its an enjoyable task.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Your differentials like any other vehicle require maintenance, a little seepage is not an abnormal thing, with some routine maintenance running low on diff fluid should never be a problem.
    I believe all hobby grade RC's would fall into the same category; we tend to just toss WallyWorld cheapo's but these rig's need to repaired according to driving challenges given them.
    As far as how long it will take for a certain fluid loss it will depend on the weight of fluid you run as well as ambient temps which will effect the total heat produced inside the differential.
    Sometimes after just sitting thru the winter I'll spin my diff's to see if any fluid resistance is noticeable; I had to fill three diff's when summer began while the others were still holding fine.
    I personally enjoy working on my rigs, I often find myself taking things apart that don't really need it but its an enjoyable task.
    Regular maintenance is not problem for me, if I donít have time for neded rebuild I donít drive that model.
    The reason I asked is because if i have diffs that leaks a lot, tuning diffs for my backyard track is useless. I think I just need to start using my sl4sh and see how things are going on.
    Anyway, thanks for answers.

RC Qualifier
    I was new to the Slash recently too and learnt a lot from this forum.
    Check out my video guide/build thread here - may give you some ideas!

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ur-Traxxas-4X4!

I think I just need to start using my sl4sh and see how things are going on
    This would probably be your best bet.
    Unless you have a seal go completely out I couldn't imagine your diff's leaking enough to change driving characteristics very fast.
    It's quite possible the leakage your seeing occurred while the vehicle was sitting in the box for goodness knows how long, after driving in dirt it became more noticeable; dirty brown liquid is far more noticeable then a clean clear liquid.

On a side note, one drop of oil can spread and appear as far more then it really is (I'm sure you've seen this in your profession).
    The amount seen in your pic imho is no more then a drop or two at the most; this as I mentioned earlier could have already leaked during the long shipping/receiving process.

Best of luck with your new Slash.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-25-2018 at 05:31 AM.

RC poster
    Did my first upgrade. Pro-line Powerstroke shocks.

Did my first upgrade. Pro-line Powerstroke shocks.

How are they going?
    Had a chance to to put them through their paces yet?
    Curious to see what you think.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    How are they going?
    Had a chance to to put them through their paces yet?
    Curious to see what you think.
    Not very many tracks around here so I have to wait for one to have a day and be open but I have launched it off my porch and the banks around my house (about 3 feet high) and it hasnít let me down. I did have to adjust them down and in ride height since it kept wanting to flip. But while putting the shocks on I put the high speed gear on and while jumping it I snapped the ears off the front half shaft and drove around in two wheel drive but I upgraded to MIP steel half shafts and bought the dynamite tool kit and cut my times on changing everything in half. Would highly recommend the MIP steel shafts to anyone who plans on running the high speed gear.

I love my MIP' S.......but, increased diff and wheel bearing wear can happen. Just stay on top of bearing maintenance and you'll be a happy camper.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    I love my MIP' S.......but, increased diff and wheel bearing wear can happen. Just stay on top of bearing maintenance and you'll be a happy camper.
    Now how do I go about caring for these bearings? I know how to on cars and trucks but the RC bearings are new to me. Just spray PB blaster or WD-40 in them and give them a spin? Or how do I go about that?

Every few months take them out, prise the seals off (a hobby knife works well), and clean them and the bearings with alcohol or similar, I use brake cleaner. After they're clean and dry, re oil with either a dedicated bearing oil or 3 in 1 or even grease. Replace seals and away you go.
    Bearings are cheap. It pays to have spares so you can replace as required.

I don't even bother with that. I just replace bearings when they have too much play. I never pay more than $0.50 a piece for bearings. I just throw the old ones away

RC Competitor
    When they sale bearings in a 10pack, I knew something was up. I've had much better luck with these seals for the diff. The guys on the forum were recommending 1.5, but 1.6 does the trick.
    https://www.theoringstore.com/index....ducts_id=18375

RC poster
    I guess itís time for aluminum spindles.

RC poster
    Got the aluminum axle carriers in. Went ahead and did the fronts while I was at it. After Christmas I am going buy an E-Revo since this doesnít have the height that I want. I do understand that I can lift it but I will probably try and race it come Spring/Summer which is why I donít want to lift it.

RC poster
    Bought the E-Revo and took it out twice and as I was getting ready to come back in I noticed that it was acting weird and low on power. Found the pin going into the axle cup missing and the axle shaft spinning free. Well no hobby shops have them around me so they are coming on the slow boat from China. Yay. But I did fix the pin that came out of the axle shaft on the MIP axle shaft. So Iím going to let that dry till tomorrow. My cousin bought a slash so itíll be nice to have someone to race with. But on more exciting news I found out the local hobby shop built a new indoor track so I will be going to that every Wednesday I am off and I may try and race an occasional Saturday.

RC poster
    On an another note I have noticed that my slash diffs donít seem to want to spin both tires at the same time. When it was new itíd spin around and do donuts easily now I noticed it will not do a donut. I have tightened the slipper clutch tight thinking that was my issue and it was not. Any ideas? Differential issues?

Check the diff oil levels and seals.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Where are you at in wv?

Yeah you can put 2.8s on that slash and go about anywhere you want. I just did it to my boys slash. I also just got an erevo. The more I run it the better I like it.

As far as any of these go, when you run them they will break. Part of the fun for me. I've had the slash I have right now for about a year now and havent had any diff issues yet but my boy has. Got that fixed a couple days ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    got my son a platinum slash for christmas. We are both new to RCs but boy is it fun. We will be doing mostly bashing around the yard and parks so straight out of the box we went with 2.8 trenchers. After just a couple of runs the slipper is toast. Just upgraded to the Revo slipper with aluminum pucks, dropped to a 11T, and installed a Tekno drive shaft. The truck seems completely insane now, but of course after 20 mins of hard running and jumping, snapped a stock axle so in goes a set of MIPs!
    This is so much fun I have another Slash 4x4 on the way and should be here for myself on the Jan 2!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pur pony View Post
    got my son a platinum slash for christmas. We are both new to RCs but boy is it fun. We will be doing mostly bashing around the yard and parks so straight out of the box we went with 2.8 trenchers. After just a couple of runs the slipper is toast. Just upgraded to the Revo slipper with aluminum pucks, dropped to a 11T, and installed a Tekno drive shaft. The truck seems completely insane now, but of course after 20 mins of hard running and jumping, snapped a stock axle so in goes a set of MIPs!
    This is so much fun I have another Slash 4x4 on the way and should be here for myself on the Jan 2!
    It gets addictive real quick!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills79 View Post
    It gets addictive real quick!

thats for sure!!!

RC Enthusiast
    El Sob -- where do you buy bearing for $0.50 each?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast