RC poster

Another new guy here

Hey all,

Picked up a Slash 4x4 a couple months ago and the addiction is real. Done a few mods including the VXL upgrade, new tires, and better lower arms. I can't really say that there's anything about the truck that disappoints!

That being said, what upgrades would you guys find essential? Are there any parts known to break easy? I'd like to know ahead of time so I can have spares ready. Thanks all!

-Dan

RC Racer
    Definetly driveshafts if you plan on bashing

If you bash it hard with big jumps, I would upgrade to aluminum shock caps or upgrade to slash 4x4 GTR shocks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    Definetly driveshafts if you plan on bashing
    Any brand recommendation? Is CVD the way to go?

RC poster
    I had been thinking about the shocks. The stock ones are nice but far too soft, I bottom out just going off of curbs. Thanks for the recommendation!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WetpantsMcGee View Post
    I had been thinking about the shocks. The stock ones are nice but far too soft, I bottom out just going off of curbs. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Before you upgrade your shocks try to tune stock ones with linear springs and different shocks oil. Improving what you have will give you more knowledge (and money) for future upgrades. Stock shocks arenít bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Before you upgrade your shocks try to tune stock ones with linear springs and different shocks oil. Improving what you have will give you more knowledge (and money) for future upgrades. Stock shocks aren’t bad.

Yup, Ultra Shocks really are not bad if you take the time to tune them. Their biggest weakness are their plastics shock caps, you change those out for aluminum, tune them, and you'll be set.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Yup, Ultra Shocks really are not bad if you take the time to tune them. Their biggest weakness are their plastics shock caps, you change those out for aluminum, tune them, and you'll be set.
    I have 30wt oil, I'll pick up some shock caps and try it out. Thanks!

Hey all,

Picked up a Slash 4x4 a couple months ago and the addiction is real. Done a few mods including the VXL upgrade, new tires, and better lower arms. I can't really say that there's anything about the truck that disappoints!

That being said, what upgrades would you guys find essential? Are there any parts known to break easy? I'd like to know ahead of time so I can have spares ready. Thanks all!

-Dan
    Aluminum caster blocks; they were the first things I broke on my 2wd's.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I have 30wt oil, I'll pick up some shock caps and try it out. Thanks!
    30wt is stock, recommend going to 40wt and adjusting from there, it will help with body roll, chassis slap, and will generally smooth out the ride.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    We have two Slashes. Both 2wd brushless. One is upgraded a lot and the other is stock. Looking back, I would not have done all the upgrades. This is all I would do:

ProLine hinge pin set
    Some type of shock upgrade (Traxxas big bores)
    RPM rear bumper mount (to keep those plastic side pieces from popping off)

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Aluminum caster blocks; they were the first things I broke on my 2wd's.
    Are there any brands that are better/worse for caster blocks? I've heard people say bad things about Integy for example..

Are those the RPM lower arms? That was the first thing I broke and replaced them with those exact arms.

Are there any brands that are better/worse for caster blocks? I've heard people say bad things about Integy for example..

Are those the RPM lower arms? That was the first thing I broke and replaced them with those exact arms.
    I've had good luck with Traxxas aluminum caster blocks myself; as far as the rpm arms I've had great luck with them.
    The trick with rpm arm's is when your not running your rig keep the suspension unloaded; the one's pictured are three years old, the rig is quite heavy and the arm's have 0 sag.
    A lot of people just set the truck on a table, mine sit on a stand, in fact all of them sit on stands rpm arm's or not.
    I also run PL ProTrack arm's and stock ones, nothing wrong with stock Traxxas arm's, my MT 4wd has stock arm's with a set of rpm replacements should the stock arm's ever break.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I've had good luck with Traxxas aluminum caster blocks myself; as far as the rpm arms I've had great luck with them.
    The trick with rpm arm's is when your not running your rig keep the suspension unloaded; the one's pictured are three years old, the rig is quite heavy and the arm's have 0 sag.
    A lot of people just set the truck on a table, mine sit on a stand, in fact all of them sit on stands rpm arm's or not.
    I also run PL ProTrack arm's and stock ones, nothing wrong with stock Traxxas arm's, my MT 4wd has stock arm's with a set of rpm replacements should the stock arm's ever break.
    What's in your avatar? Is that yours? More pics?

RC poster
    Tore the truck apart yesterday to put in a Fast Eddy bearing kit, and I ended up with 5 bearings left over. I was pretty sure I got everything, even the 4 small ones in the turnbuckle posts. What did I miss?

RC Qualifier
    Tore the truck apart yesterday to put in a Fast Eddy bearing kit, and I ended up with 5 bearings left over. I was pretty sure I got everything, even the 4 small ones in the turnbuckle posts. What did I miss?
    Transmission? xD

RC poster
    The only one I found was in the pan for the slipper assembly. I counted 3 in each diff case. I'll have to check again.

RC poster
    So I ended up having to tear the entire truck down after running through some nasty water, and I can't find any bearings I missed. Anyone else had leftovers after putting in a Fast Eddy kit?

RC poster
    Anyone else running the GPM upper links in their Slash? I ordered front and rear sets but the rears are way too long, so now there's a **** load of camber and it looks ridiculous. They're adjustable but it doesn't look like they'll shorten up enough to straighten out the wheels.
    Last edited by WetpantsMcGee; 11-24-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Anyone else running the GPM upper links in their Slash? I ordered front and rear sets but the rears are way too long, so now there's a **** load of camber and it looks ridiculous. They're adjustable but it doesn't look like they'll shorten up enough to straighten out the wheels.
    I run Lunsford titanium links on one 4wd but just stock Traxxas on the others.
    I tried aluminum once, they're far to brittle imho; maybe for a racer concerned with weight but not for a basher.
    What's in your avatar? Is that yours? More pics?
    Thank's for the complement.
    That's my axial SCX10; I'd put up more pictures but being this is a Traxxas forum so it's not a good idea.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-25-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Comment positioning error.