RC Champion

Question Is the rear axle any good?

Chiming in to ask about the durability of the rear axle and it's internals. I'm looking forward to building a mainly steel consruction rat rod this coming winter and am doing some research on which axle to get.

From what I've read the udr' s rear axle features a planetary reduction box to reduce torque twist. And id like to utilize that to my advantage to lessen the complexity of the motor mount/ transmission that im going to make

Is this a suitable axle for a high powered and heavy rc? I'm going to shim the pinion and ring if need be, but am also looking into the axial yeti axle.
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    UDR makes for a great street platform, and since it comes stock with a spool instead of the rear diff its already locked.

I got crazy with my and doing a lot of 4s drifting on street, was easy to make 17mm t-maxx/revo adapters fit, so I could bolt on the 1/8th scale GRP's. XO-1s and other tires as well.

I think the UDR is very durable. In over 6 months of bashing mine, I've gone thru a outer house(just recently my upper links started getting loose), and 2 bearings inside the planetary. As long as you make sure its sealed, and take it apart to clean the teeth, it wil last you a long time I think.

I ran bigger tires. 3.8 sized, step pins, badlands, ect e-revo sized and wide.

Last edited by fourdub; 10-16-2018 at 02:13 AM.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

UDR housing is wider than the Yeti, unless you're talking the XL. How heavy will your build be?

RC Champion
    Mmm I'm not exactly sure how heavy. I'm looking to use 1/2" to 3/4" steel c or u channel and make a ladder frame. The front axle is going to be 3/8" steel bar. And I'd like to get some sheet metal and make a custom shell. So maybe 20 to 30lb. I'd start the rat rod out on a mild brushless system but would like to go up to 6s Lipo with the mamba max system.

As for dimensions its just down to the axle. The rear width that I have mocked up my layout to is roughly 10-1/2" hub to hub or 13" sidewall to sidewall.

I'll be buying axle piece by piece so im going to get the axle tube and see if it works out.

Thank you guy
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

30 lbs on the street will kill the axles on 6s. Rwd only takes 100% of the beating, 4wd shares the work
    Go 5th scale independent for something like that and drive it like you stole it.