RC poster

VXL or Platinum??

Hi everyone!

Iím new the RC scene and am about to buy a new Traxxas 4x4! I will get right down to it, I am looking for a good solid truck for bashing and a little bit of track racing. I am looking at both the VXL and the platinum running on 2s Lipos. I guess my question is this: Is the extra money for the LCG chassis and other upgrades worth it? Will the LCG be fine to bash around the dessert with?

Thank you in advance!!

If you can afford it the Platinum is definately the one you want.

The Platinum is about the same price as the standard model. Get a transmitter and receiver off Ebay for $50.00 and you are good to go.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Angryjonny View Post
    Hi everyone!

I’m new the RC scene and am about to buy a new Traxxas 4x4! I will get right down to it, I am looking for a good solid truck for bashing and a little bit of track racing. I am looking at both the VXL and the platinum running on 2s Lipos. I guess my question is this: Is the extra money for the LCG chassis and other upgrades worth it? Will the LCG be fine to bash around the dessert with?

Thank you in advance!!
    I'd have to agree with El Sob and Trentbaby65, most definitely the LCG will be better on a track.
    The LCG's chassis is lower in the middle but the front and rear bulkheads have the same clearance as the HCG chassis.
    The Platinum comes with an aluminum slipper adapter, aluminum front/rear bearing carriers and caster blocks; these are things you'll be changing before long with the VXL and cheaper in a package deal.
    As far as the radio you can get them for a fair price on line; even better if you prefer you can get any brand Tx/Rx brand you want.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Thank you so much for the feedback! Sounds like the platinum is the way to go! I am going to stick with Traxxas because that is what all of my friends run. Also the local store carries mostly Traxxas parts.

Any suggestions on a good radio transmitter receiver combo?

RC Qualifier
    Thank you so much for the feedback! Sounds like the platinum is the way to go! I am going to stick with Traxxas because that is what all of my friends run. Also the local store carries mostly Traxxas parts.

Any suggestions on a good radio transmitter receiver combo?
    Most people donít like the stock system. I personally have nothing against it and have no problems with it.
    Just make sure you get the newer tsm receiver.

Hi everyone!

I’m new the RC scene and am about to buy a new Traxxas 4x4! I will get right down to it, I am looking for a good solid truck for bashing and a little bit of track racing. I am looking at both the VXL and the platinum running on 2s Lipos. I guess my question is this: Is the extra money for the LCG chassis and other upgrades worth it? Will the LCG be fine to bash around the dessert with?

Thank you in advance!!
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums.

I'm still trying to completely understand your question: "VXL or Platinum??"

The Platinum comes with a VXL system in it.

Which model is the "VXL" you're comparing it to? Model# 68086-24?

Please clarify. Thank you!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums.

I'm still trying to completely understand your question: "VXL or Platinum??"

The Platinum comes with a VXL system in it.

Which model is the "VXL" you're comparing it to? Model# 68086-24?

Please clarify. Thank you!
    Hi Squeegie! To clarify I am comparing the MODEL 68086-4 (I think) to the Platinum. Here is the link on this website: https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../slash-4x4-tsm

Thank you for your help!

OK. Thank you.

That one is the HCG model.

The model I listed is a LCG model. It has the VXL system, but not all the bells and whistles like the Ultimate Edition.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...tsm?t=overview

It is only $10 more then the Platinum (minus the aluminum goodies), but has a painted body and electronics.
    All you need is batteries and a charger to run it.

Since you are only running 2S, you may not "need" the aluminum parts anyways.

Up to you, but regardless of which model you get, you'll have fun!

RC poster
    Ohhh gotcha! Thanks for that info Squeegie. I am realizing there is a lot to learn about these different models haha!

I think I am still leaning towards the Platinum model. It could be fun to make a custom painted body!

Thanks again everyone for the input!

RC Racer
    Personally I like the Ultimate model.

I have 2 Ultimate's that I run/bash/play around with on a regular basis. They do everything I need them to do for now.
    I have one platinum, but wasn't crazy about having to get a body and remote and receiver separately or paint the clear body etc. . I kind of think the Ultimate is the better value IMO.

If I ever get into hard core racing I am sure I will need to do some upgrades or build a custom race truck.
    I believe the ultimate is essentially a platinum that is RTR.
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

RC poster
    What are the differences between the Ultimate and the Platinum? I guess I dismissed the ultimate earlier because I am not really into the OBA feature. Are they essentially the same truck?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
    Personally I like the Ultimate model.

I have 2 Ultimate's that I run/bash/play around with on a regular basis. They do everything I need them to do for now.
    I have one platinum, but wasn't crazy about having to get a body and remote and receiver separately or paint the clear body etc. . I kind of think the Ultimate is the better value IMO.

If I ever get into hard core racing I am sure I will need to do some upgrades or build a custom race truck.
    I believe the ultimate is essentially a platinum that is RTR.
    cc1999 I have been doing quite a bit of research and I think you are right about the ultimate! Better value for basically the same truck with the included transmitter/receiver and painted body. I appreciate your comments!

RC Racer
    You got it.

Painted body, same upgrades parts, sway bars, premium adjustable shocks, aluminum bits here and there, and a painted body of choice. Plus OBA if you like it. I think there is either 4 or 5 painted bodies to pick from.

As for the OBA it doesn't make a sound if you don't want it too. It has a volume control on it or you can simply pull it out all out and sell it on E-bay for 50-75 bucks. Or simply leave it unplugged. Don't have to use it if you don't like it.

I kind of like the OBA myself, it seems strange now running my cars that don't have it. LOL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cc1999 View Post
    You got it.

Painted body, same upgrades parts, sway bars, premium adjustable shocks, aluminum bits here and there, and a painted body of choice. Plus OBA if you like it. I think there is either 4 or 5 painted bodies to pick from.

As for the OBA it doesn't make a sound if you don't want it too. It has a volume control on it or you can simply pull it out all out and sell it on E-bay for 50-75 bucks. Or simply leave it unplugged. Don't have to use it if you don't like it.

I kind of like the OBA myself, it seems strange now running my cars that don't have it. LOL
    Oh that's great to know that I can turn it off if I don't want it on at all times. I am going to buy my ultimate tonight! Thanks again!

The slash platinum is the best value in 1/10 4x4 hands down. Clear body, really nice gtr shocks, center diff, soft tires. $400 and you can find rtr quality radios for under 50.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

I took a Slash Platinum and Army Granny 4x4 brushless to the basher BMX site. Trust me, the Granny was way better, and its bone stock.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    The slash platinum is the best value in 1/10 4x4 hands down. Clear body, really nice gtr shocks, center diff, soft tires. $400 and you can find rtr quality radios for under 50.
    I believe the ultimate has the exact same upgrades you mentioned but also comes with transmitter/ receiver (which I need) as well as a painted body and oba for only like 20 bucks more! Seems like the ultimate is the better deal? Thoughts?

If that's the case, Ultimate for sure.

You can get the On Board Audio edition for that. The cheapest I have seen a new Ultimate edition go for is $530.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I believe the ultimate has the exact same upgrades you mentioned but also comes with transmitter/ receiver (which I need) as well as a painted body and oba for only like 20 bucks more! Seems like the ultimate is the better deal? Thoughts?
    20 bucks more than what?
    The platinum is $430
    The Ultimate is $590

Are you acouning for all of the parts the platinum is missing from the ultimate?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    20 bucks more than what?
    The platinum is $430
    The Ultimate is $590

Are you acouning for all of the parts the platinum is missing from the ultimate?
    Ah shoot you guys are right! Welp it looks like I bought the 68086-24 for $420 out the door. Could have swarm it was an ultimate. So it does have the LCG chassis. Did I screw up?!

RC Qualifier

VXL or Platinum??

Ah shoot you guys are right! Welp it looks like I bought the 68086-24 for $420 out the door. Could have swarm it was an ultimate. So it does have the LCG chassis. Did I screw up?!
    Your fine. It might end up being cheaper. You will just need to get a receiver, Radio, battery, and charger.

Batteries and a charger werenít included with the ultimate either.

I like the traxxas radios and receivers. Thereís nothing wrong with them.

It does have the lcg.
    You said you didnít want OBA and you donít need telemetry anyways.

I wouldnít worry much.

RC poster
    Your fine. It might end up being cheaper. You will just need to get a receiver, Radio, battery, and charger.

Batteries and a charger werenít included with the ultimate either.

I like the traxxas radios and receivers. Thereís nothing wrong with them.

It does have the lcg.
    You said you didnít want OBA and you donít need telemetry anyways.

I wouldnít worry much.
    If I did swap for the platinum it doesnít include the TSM. Can I add TSM later? Or is this really something Iíd need?

Thanks again everyone for the help!

RC Qualifier

VXL or Platinum??

TSM is part of the receiver. The platinum doesnít have a receiver. You just need to get the receiver. I believe it is about $30 on Amazon.

Tsm just helps your truck track straight. Very helpful for rough terrain, terrible for high speed. You can always turn it off using the multi-function knob on your transmitter. I find it useful at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    TSM is part of the receiver. The platinum doesn’t have a receiver. You just need to get the receiver. I believe it is about $30 on Amazon.

Tsm just helps your truck track straight. Very helpful for rough terrain, terrible for high speed. You can always turn it off using the multi-function knob on your transmitter. I find it useful at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks ati! I am going to swap for the platinum.

I must say, this community has shown to be pretty patient and helpful without getting upset.

Thank you everyone for your input in this decision. I know it sounds trivial, but I wanted to make sure I got the best truck for my needs.

thanks again!

RC Racer
    I am pretty sure a 68086-24 is a VXL with OBA painted body .
    Nothing wrong with that.
    Add some sway bars and your most of the way there as far as handling goes.
    You can upgrade the shocks and aluminum bits later whenever the original plastic ones break if they break.

As for what is the better value if you were to buy the TSM remote and receiver new your over 100 bucks, plus paint and time your still ahead with a Ultimate over a platinum, not to mention you still would not have OBA, which rather you want it or not can fetch around 50 bucks if sold on Ebay.
    530-540 is typically a good deal on an ultimate. Many are for sale right now at 539 online.

As for what you bought, it can be built up over time with little difference in total money spent.

Here the sway bars for $15 bucks inc shipping.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS...S!-1:rk:7:pf:0
    Last edited by cc1999; 10-18-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Sounds good!

Now all you need is
    1) batteries (for truck and transmitter),
    2) charger,
    3) transmitter/receiver, and
    4) polycarbonate paint for the clear body.

Note:
    You should also invest in a quality set of tools such as MIP
    https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Hex-Dr...and-2-5mm-9502

Have fun!

RC poster
    You will definitely need the tools.

RC poster
    I am putting Velineon back in my stash 4x4. The motor has 3351R on the end case. The receiver has 8 3 prong holes and 1 4 prong hole. Receiver is TSM 2.4GHz TQi part number #6533. I need a little help getting it all set up. Also need to know if TSM will work with none traxxas steering servo. The main thing is I not sure what holes I should use in the receiver. I am thinking that starting at CH1 for servo and 2 for ESC and the third for motor fan. I'm just not sure if that is right. Fan for ESC is wired on the ESC. All help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Greg122

Please remember to keep it Traxxas only.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn