RC Enthusiast

DIY light kit for pede using 5mm and 2watt cob leds. Real simple.

Hi i thought ide share this light kit with other owners i think it couldn't be easier for a nice clean semi pro look.

But as easy as poking leds through the light stickers lol. Ive been playing with light kits for awhile now and i think this method is absolotuly brilliant. But the video caught dislikes so ill let you deceide.

We're using the ford raptor body new style and its Head lights are just a nightmare to make light buckets for. So i deceided to just glow the stickers up. I masked the lights before paint. But still used the stickers. I was hoping to get a nice glow but fully detailed lights still.

First i just threw leds in to glow the lights.

There pink lights because its my daughter's truck and i was told lol. But i wanted two leds per light and more intensity.

So i had an idea partly inspired by trx4 led plates. How good are they! But for simplicity one plate for the front one for the back.

I left mine blank because it has light stickers. But you could go to town on this plate building it up 3d for as much detail as you like. I will later.

It has two screws through the grill area. The leds are very close but a spacer in the middle would push it back. Giving room for 3d buckets. Tablet cases even. Alloy tape.

Each plate has a plug so the plate can be removed easily for cleaning or modding further. The wiring could be much neater using solid core so its like rails. Then add another peice of plasti card to hide them with just the plug poking through.

The back one i did the same thing but used foam as spacers with some double sided sticky tape to grip it. But two screws to hold it.

I still need to clean up any light bleed. But is still a works, hopfully otbers can progress it too. All benefit.

Then i just stuck down some alloy tape down the side two or three. Then sruck the wire holders onto the alloy tape as they hold on that way.

A wire from the rear a wire from the front that meet in the middle twist pos to pos etc. Then add the power wire which you can use whichever you like.

Im going to convert a servo into ch3 switch removing its motor and adding a female plug to the contacts. I have one thats 4yrs old not pretty but works great. The best use for a futaba s3003 servo lol.

But then i modified the wire harness to have 2x mini plugs up front one extra for the bumper light.

Heres a short video i made when nearly finished. It was late so i tried to be quiet. Idk why it has dislikes like it does 6 views two dislikes i never had so many. I dont understand. If you feel inclined to dislike please tell me why lol.

I hope its not how basic i make videos. Cos its only fun i don't use ads or ask for money lol. But if guys want m3 to go pro. They could offer lol.
    https://youtu.be/lL1dyCD0HFw
    Last edited by Rcbutcher; 10-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think its fantastic and ive fitted dozens of led kits. I think the method could suit any rc too. What do you think?

RC Enthusiast
    The plan was to have the bumper light do the shining the way forward. I found some 2 watt g4 cobs on ebay i dont know much about them but thought ide have a bash at it.

I used more plasti card to fill up the area inside the bumper fitted with P-clips. To be able to swing it. The bumper has screw holes that would offer good mounting options too. But be fixed. I used 6mm p clips. But have 4mm on order now. Plus carbon fibre i hope to use on the next attempt.
    I used tinted film on the plasti card to colour it.

Then traced its edge with a pen.

This was my first idea but to cut down but total fail.

Haha. Glad it failed.

The day after making it i tried an axial light grill and wow it just needs trimming slightly. I trimmed the middle two too much. But have more.

Here they are on 9v direct no resisters used on the cobs.

I cant remember if it worked like that. The first attempt wouldnt work i saw a big blob of solder. So wiped it all away and retried and all worked fine. Basically foolproof lol.

Also speaking of soldering this contraption is another brain wave i had seeing the flexible arms on ebay. This makes soldering 10x easier with as many hands as you want.

Here it is holding the rear light plate for the body. Two clips can hold an S7 edge easy.

This is with 3s power direct on the whole light kit. With a big over head light on. A tube light for kitchens.

With light off. It doesnt look that much different. Showing it out powerd a 4ft tube light

It really is bright on 3s and again so easy to remove mod or clean.

Im going to redo it with solid core wires so its much neater. But even now its rock solid.

So thats it total DIY stampede kit. Im proud of it and know everytime i do it. It will get better and better.

I hope others will try it. Ill help anyway i can. Thanks for reading. peace.
    Last edited by Rcbutcher; 10-17-2018 at 05:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot the 9v pics sorry.

In daylight still pretty potent on a 9v snap.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh to solder the cobs i used the purple plate and blue tac to arrange them face down for spacing. Then soldered them light that. They are only stuck down now with blue tac. But ill use glue dots or double sided tape. For the final attempt. Hopfully with carbon fibre and smaller p clips and screw. So i can have a space between to centre two.

looks good sir. sounds like a well worth process! Not much of a light person on my rigs yet. Maybe one day though. I remember your thread when you painted that body for you daughter.....
    Choose Life !!!