Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Motor runs hot

I got my mod 1 gears and my motor heatsink/fan installed, ready to see what this will do tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tmbold View Post
    I got my mod 1 gears and my motor heatsink/fan installed, ready to see what this will do tomorrow

Don't hold us in suspense! How did she do? I know that you hit at least 70mph.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Well, at 75 the car started to wobble I had to let out of the throttle. There was a lot of throttle and surface left. I donít have video so I drew a picture lol
    Anyone have any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Not sure if this has been asked but did you have to mod the chassis at all to fit the 2400 in there?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyvale_R/C View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked but did you have to mod the chassis at all to fit the 2400 in there?
    Not at all

RC Champion
    Get the aluminum castor blocks. They help reduce a lot of slop in the front end. Which is most likely what caused your wobble issue.

Just an update geared 25/30 I’ve gotten up to 91.1, I know I can get more out of it. Having lots of fun!
    Last edited by tmbold; 12-31-2018 at 12:26 AM.

RC Competitor
    You guys got to be kidding , spend all that time and just so you can say you did , after all that you might gain 5 m.p.h. ,is that going to earn you some kind of self comforting awards of some kind ? Come on guys , take the truck out of the box run it till something breaks then fix it , these rigs are awesome the way they are , I get the upgrade deal totally , but allot of this stuff isn't nessasary , really , I've been in this hobby for 25 years , I get it , but think about the real reason your upgradeing , if your not going for state titles what's the all the fuss for , just a American opinion ,,,,KEEP ON BASSHN !!!

Different strokes for different folks.
    Anyone here can treat their property any way they like. To tell them otherwise is wrong. Letís be careful of that.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Competitor
    Like I said ,,, I get it ,I geuss everybody is rich on hear evidently , I own 4 Traxxas rigs 2 others of a different brand , and let's not forget what it costs to maintain a 5 scale rig that I have , I'm just trying to find the difference between addiction or idiocrity ? Not to say I'm not right there with you guys , L. O. L.
    Last edited by relic01; 12-31-2018 at 11:01 AM.

I think the most important thing was my last sentence. ďHaving lots of funĒ. Isnít that what itís all about?

RC Qualifier
    castle 4600 kv sidewinder motor is very good

RC Champion
    Yes it is! Some like to bash, some like speed! I like to do both. But it does get expensive. Just remember when it stops being fun, itís not worth it!!!

RC Competitor
    I like the sense of accomplishment , it all started with building modles , you no the 56 Chevy in a little box and a tube of poison they called glue , then one day my boss brought a r.c. car to work , it was a nitro rig of some kind , all kept thinking was jeeeze ! I can build that car and put a nitro engine in it and zip it around !!! ??? Since then I've got several kits , put them together and bashed the heck out of them till you couldn't get parts for them , that's what I'm into the accomplushment

ďYouíre first or youíre lastĒ lol

RC poster
    Any updates on this build? How fast has it gone on what motor battery and esc?

Quote Originally Posted by iNoob View Post
    Any updates on this build? How fast has it gone on what motor battery and esc?
    I got to 91.1 on 4s, mamba x esc and 2400kv motor mod 1 gears 25/30. Iím putting it back to off road form. Still will be running same battery and esc motor combo. I got a 4-tec 2.0 Iím gonna use for speed runs. Iíve owned many Traxxas vehicles and the rustler 4x4 is by far the toughest. I beat the snot out of this thing for months and broke my first part yesterday. I did a 85 mph cartwheel for the tenth time and broke a front a-arm. It is an awesome vehicle!!

RC poster
    Iím new to the rc world and have the 4x4 myself. I was looking into upgrading the motor/esc. I wanna do some speed runs but also wanna be able to take it to the local track (2s only)and do general bashing. Would u recommend the combo u have or another? Thanks

RC Champion
    I would recommend the same ESC as he has but not the motor for 2s. The castle 3800kv would be better suited for your needs.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I would recommend the same ESC as he has but not the motor for 2s. The castle 3800kv would be better suited for your needs.
    Would I still be able to get top speeds close to 100mph?

RC poster
    Also will the 3800 be a noticeable difference from the vxl system?

RC Champion
    No not with the 3800kv you wonít get to near 100mph. Youíll want either the 2400kv or the larger can 1515 2200kv motor and at least 4s to get to 100mph. The 3800kv motor is meant for 2-3s and is a little faster then the stock motor combo. You canít have your cake and eat it too. Either you want a basher or a speed run rig. Hard to have both. You might be able to gear for 50mph or a little more, and run it both off and on road, but youíll need to have good wheels and tires to do so. The guys running 100mph or more have stuck a lot of time and money into their rigs to get then that fast. You also need to know how to drive pretty good as if you wreck going that fast you can kiss it goodbye pretty much. Read up on how much it takes to get to 100mph and youíll see itís not for general bashing.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    No not with the 3800kv you wonít get to near 100mph. Youíll want either the 2400kv or the larger can 1515 2200kv motor and at least 4s to get to 100mph. The 3800kv motor is meant for 2-3s and is a little faster then the stock motor combo. You canít have your cake and eat it too. Either you want a basher or a speed run rig. Hard to have both. You might be able to gear for 50mph or a little more, and run it both off and on road, but youíll need to have good wheels and tires to do so. The guys running 100mph or more have stuck a lot of time and money into their rigs to get then that fast. You also need to know how to drive pretty good as if you wreck going that fast you can kiss it goodbye pretty much. Read up on how much it takes to get to 100mph and youíll see itís not for general bashing.
    Thanks for your help!

RC Qualifier
    I have had problems with the hobbywing 80a esc. Specifically, reversing is sketchy. It is waterproof though.

RC Qualifier
    use tsm it will help with the wobble. Also make sure that the wheels are fully tightened or else they will wobble like crazy

RC Enthusiast
    Guys, might be a stupid question but I'm just getting in to the brushless game... why would one prefer the 2400kv Castle motor instead of the 3800kv, with the same ESC (Mamba X)? Wouldn't the 3800kv be much faster? If I understood right, with the 3800kv you need to gear down so it doesn't overheat, so 2400kv geared up > 3800kv geared down? What if I'm only running 2s, is the 2400kv still a better option?

I got a brushed rustler 4x4, was thinking in going Castle SW4 + 3800kv motor... glad I saw this post before pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by m3rcfh; 01-08-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Yes a 3800 will spin faster per volt, however, you need to take into consideration the weight of the vehicle as well as the drivetrain - including the tire size. The 3800 will spin faster but the physical size is smaller and not have as much torque as the 2400.

Again, the unloaded rpms per volt is 2400 vs 3800. On 2s the 2400 will spin slower but you can gear it higher to make up for it.

In my opinion the 3800 is good for a 2wd Slash, Rustler or Stampede. With 4wd you get into more drive train drag and slightly heavier vehicle and need something more powerful to move. Plus, look at Castle's site and see what the manufacturer recommends.

I liken it between two engines: you want a high-revving four-cylinder or a powerful eight throwing the vehicle around?

I'm still on the fence about getting a Rustler 4x4 but if/when I do I will go with a 2400 motor. I already have a 3800 in my 2wd Slash.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I totally get the torque part on a 4x4 setup and that the longer can/rotor on the 2400kv makes it more torquey than the 3800, but does that mean that you can gear the 2400 up without heating as much, to the point it becomes faster than 3800kv (or the stock 3500kv velineon)?

Just as background, I'm planning an upgrade just because I want to do faster laps on my LHS's track. With brushed I can barely clear doubles, so I guess torque is what I'm looking for. Sounds like the 2400kv geared up to 18/54 is where it's at for me. I don't need it to be faster than 40mph top speed. Since I'm not shooting for breakingneck speeds, seems like both options will do just fine, right? Or is the 2400 still better?

Quote Originally Posted by m3rcfh View Post
    I totally get the torque part on a 4x4 setup and that the longer can/rotor on the 2400kv makes it more torquey than the 3800, but does that mean that you can gear the 2400 up without heating as much, to the point it becomes faster than 3800kv (or the stock 3500kv velineon)?
    That is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    use tsm it will help with the wobble. Also make sure that the wheels are fully tightened or else they will wobble like crazy
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ith-wheel-slop

Iíve put my truck back to off road bashing form. Most of the truck looked like this

Now it looks like this

I must say the tbone racing rear number is awesome

RC poster
    Whatís the part number for the rear bumper?

RC poster
    What gearing to u use for bashing? Just bought the same motor combo as u

RC poster
    Very nice! I went with the mmx/2650 combo. I love it. I snapped an mip axle on it tonight.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    The vxl system is fine on 2s, the problem is it says 3s on the box! While the system will run it, it was never designed to bash on 3s. In the lighter 2wd vehicles you can get away with 3s, not on these heavier 4x4s.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    So basically if I buy a Rustler 4X4 then I will have to replace the electronics to keep it from overheating? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage2 View Post
    What gearing to u use for bashing? Just bought the same motor combo as u

20/50

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carc View Post
    So basically if I buy a Rustler 4X4 then I will have to replace the electronics to keep it from overheating? Wow!
    No, just change your gearing.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Enthusiast
    Just thought I would share more info on this thread for future reference, as it's about "stock motor runs hot"...

Yesterday I ran my sotck VXL system on the local track for around 10 minutes on a Traxxas 5800mah 2s with the stock 11t pinion and measured the temps... ESC was at 130F and motor around 150F. Not a lot of room to play around with the pinion size for track (practice) use. I'm going to get a ESC fan next
    Last edited by m3rcfh; 01-24-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added more details

RC Competitor
    yesterday I bashed mine with the stock gearing on a 2s lipo in 10 degrees f weather and the motor temps were over 150 f. Now I am kinda scared to run a 3s lipo battery.

RC Enthusiast
    My temps were taken on an indoor track, around 68F. I was going to try a bigger pinion (14t), but it seems like the stock 11t is the limit for running for more time than a couple of speed runs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast