Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor runs hot

Motor runs hot

The fan on the esc only spins for 2 secs on power up and thatís it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tmbold; 10-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    So I take it you like? I bet that thing was beastly on an 18 tooth pinion, can't imagine 20! Keep us posted, and maybe a running video?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Yes I like it with the 18 it will almost do a back flip from a stand still, ran on pavement and grass motor was cold. I will sell the vxl combo and buy the same castle combo for my 2wd rustler. Will let you know how the 20 and 22 pinion does tomorrow. Tapatalk has been acting up today, some things get double posted some donít get posted at all

Quote Originally Posted by tmbold View Post
    The fan on the esc only spins for 2 secs on power up and thatís it

So the castle esc fan only turns on when needed. It will ramp up when you turn it on and shut off until its needed. Kinda like a thermostat on a car.

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So the castle esc fan only turns on when needed. It will ramp up when you turn it on and shut off until its needed. Kinda like a thermostat on a car.

Right. It comes on around 90
    Degrees. I forget the exact temp.

I was hoping that was the case, it only got up to 70 degrees here in south Louisiana today. Esc was running cold

I ran the 20 tooth pinion yesterday, the truck came alive. It still wants to wheelie in the straits and is really fast. Motor was 140 esc 120.

Sounds like your almost at the sweet spot! If you're happy with the speed then that's awesome! If you want a little more it sounds like you can go higher with the gearing. I'm glad the system is working out for you, now I'm tempted to buy one and throw that system in it.

I ran the 20 tooth pinion yesterday, the truck came alive. It still wants to wheelie in the straits and is really fast. Motor was 140 esc 120.
    I knew that you would be happy with the Mamba X and sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor system! I plan on buying another one soon for the new Ultimate edition that I have had for a month or so. If i do get a Rustler 4x4 you can bet good money that it will get one also
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I hope you like your new system. I'm curious to hear how you like the Mamba X with the 2400kv 1415 motor. I might have gone with a Sidewinder 8th system instead. The Sidewinder 8th combo is cheaper, gives you a bigger motor (1515B 2200kv), and an ESC that can handle just as much if not more power (Sidewinder 8th). The only thing the Sidewinder 8th system doesn't do is Sensored mode.

The "problem" with the Mamba X ESC is the same "problem" that the Mamba Max Pro had. It was designed with significant size and weight constraints in mind (at the expense of extra heat), due to all of the people using them in lightweight racing buggies and similar. If you're just bashing, then you don't really need an ESC that was designed with such a focus on being small and lightweight, and overkill with a heavier 8th scale ESC is usually a good thing. My Mamba Max Pro had similar specs to the Mamba X and I was hitting thermal shutdown with that more often than I would have liked while paired with my older unsensored 2400k 1415, before I broke the shaft (3.17mm) on that motor. That was in a heavier Slash 4x4, and I hope your results are better.
    +1. Sidewinder 8 has more raw power, Mamba X has more finesse. Personally I like to point and shoot and fly, so sw8 is all I need. For those who take care in lower speeds and smoothness, Mamba x is all you.

Short video 20/54
    https://youtu.be/WvEvxyOxeoM

Iím sorry itís not a good video but I basically rested my phone against my shoe. I like the way it sounds, this was in a very small parking lot. I will gear up to 22 this weekend. Iíll be going to a better run spot and will be strapping on the gps.

That was a glimpse at what I hoped the rustler 4x4 would be! When I test drove it at my lhs i wasn't impressed, that quick snippet almost makes me want to buy one. Now to convince the wife, ha!

So the 22 tooth won’t fit, time to lower the spur. I’m assuming the slash 4x4 spur is what I need?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Motor runs hot

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    +1. Sidewinder 8 has more raw power, Mamba X has more finesse. Personally I like to point and shoot and fly, so sw8 is all I need. For those who take care in lower speeds and smoothness, Mamba x is all you.
    The X has more current handling capabilities than the sw 4. It is better in all respects. Iím glad if a sidewinder suits your needs, but donít say theyíre better in any way, just cheaper.

The Sidewinder 8th is not the Sidewinder 4.
    The Sidewinder 8th is an eighth scale system with a 2200kv 1515b motor.
    Way more current handling ability than the sw4.
    Last edited by Trentbaby65; 10-31-2018 at 11:56 PM.

So the 22 tooth won’t fit, time to lower the spur. I’m assuming the slash 4x4 spur is what I need?
    If you put in a 50 tooth spur gear, your 22 tooth pinion gear will have no problem fitting. The thing is that you are going to have to be aware of the motor temperatures. You are moving into the 60+ mph area on 3s and on 4s you are talking 70+ mph! That is where things get fun

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    The Sidewinder 8th is not the Sidewinder 4.
    The Sidewinder 8th is an eighth scale system with a 2200kv 1515b motor.
    Way more current handling ability than the sw4.
    Point taken. Thereís a great article comparing the number of transistors in Castle escís. This a direct relationship with power capability. Youíll find that even though I made mistake with my nomenclature, my point is still valid. Again, I get having a budget line of product.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Iím glad if a sidewinder suits your needs, but donít say theyíre better in any way, just cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Thereís a great article comparing the number of transistors in Castle escís. This a direct relationship with power capability. Youíll find that even though I made mistake with my nomenclature, my point is still valid. Again, I get having a budget line of product.
    And where does the Sidewinder 8th fit in in that article? No one here besides you mentioned the Sidewinder 4. The Sidewinder 8th ESC does lack sensored mode, but aside from that, how is it not better than the Mamba X?

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    And where does the Sidewinder 8th fit in in that article? No one here besides you mentioned the Sidewinder 4. The Sidewinder 8th ESC does lack sensored mode, but aside from that, how is it not better than the Mamba X?
    Rice I get it, I got the x. Your’s is better, now let’s move on. This isn’t what this thread is about. So when my 50t spur comes I’m gonna go back to the 18, watch my temps and move up to the 22. Can’t wait

Rice I get it, I got the x. Your’s is better, now let’s move on. This isn’t what this thread is about. So when my 50t spur comes I’m gonna go back to the 18, watch my temps and move up to the 22. Can’t wait
    Annnnd, back on topic! So we know you've solved your over heating problem, how is the performance? Power, torque, over all experience? How does it measure up?

Annnnd, back on topic! So we know you've solved your over heating problem, how is the performance? Power, torque, over all experience? How does it measure up?
    I have no regrets, and a big smile when I drive it. Performance is great, it has more power and torque. My last run I drove as hard as I could to raise temps on 20/54. Temps were good,still got room to gear up. Patiently waiting for my new spur gear.

Ok guys I need a little help/advice. The spur I ordered hasn’t shipped yet so I went by my lhs and got a 52t. The installation seemed straight fowaord to me but now the spur seems to wobble, I’ve reassembled several times. It doesn’t bind the motor but it doesn’t seem right.
    https://youtu.be/qjmgBOfWuDE

Gotcha! When you tightened the three screws holding the spur on it kicked it outta alignment. Try loosening all three screws and then snug them up a little at a time. Basically, if you run one screw all the way in it kicks the spur to that side. Think of it like tightening a gasket. Little bit on each screw until all are tight

Thanks, one more question. I’m assuming I should tighten the slipper all the way down and loosen it a quarter of a turn. Would this be correct?

It's a solid starting point. Adjust as necessary to achieve desired results

Ok problem solved, I’m geared 20/52. I am very impressed on how easy this truck was to break down. Thanks for the help. Ready to run tomorrow

Looking forward to seeing how you like it! I know it will keep a permanent smile on your face

Today I ran 22/52 and this thing is really fast and still wants to pull wheelies. Motor got up to 160 esc 119. I’m going to get a heat sink/fan for the motor. I’m really impressed with the esc keeping its cool after hard runs.
    https://youtu.be/xsKZdlpyzn8

RC poster
    tmbold, How was the speed with the 18 tooth pinion? I don't have my rustler yet but plan on doing this very set up. I don't want to make this uncontrollable but woud like to see around 40 mph on 3s with out heat issues. I may just get the 18 and 20 tooth just to get a feel for it.

Thanks

Today I ran 22/52 and this thing is really fast and still wants to pull wheelies. Motor got up to 160 esc 119. I’m going to get a heat sink/fan for the motor. I’m really impressed with the esc keeping its cool after hard runs.
    https://youtu.be/xsKZdlpyzn8
    Dang! It still does that geared 22/52? Wow, that 8s impressive! I am going to recommend you get an average dual fan heatsink. Then you are going to want to install Yeah Racing fans on it. They are more efficient. I have three Yeah Racing fans on my Ultimate edition with the sensored El Sob special motor system. You won't be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyvale_R/C View Post
    tmbold, How was the speed with the 18 tooth pinion? I don't have my rustler yet but plan on doing this very set up. I don't want to make this uncontrollable but woud like to see around 40 mph on 3s with out heat issues. I may just get the 18 and 20 tooth just to get a feel for it.

Thanks
    Speeed was good on 18 but the truck started to come alive with the 20. I think itís a good starting point. And like Iím sure youíve heard on this forum if you donít have a heat gun, get one.

RC poster
    Speeed was good on 18 but the truck started to come alive with the 20. I think it’s a good starting point. And like I’m sure you’ve heard on this forum if you don’t have a heat gun, get one.
    Thank you, will hopefully get one next weekend.

RC Qualifier
    75% of the time I mention the Sidewinder 8th someone shoots down my point because they don’t know what a Sidewinder 8th is, and think I’m talking about the Sidewinder 3 or 4. Thanks +gotnorice, you handled it a lot better than I would lol. Anyway creator I want another update, seems like it’s doing good.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    75% of the time I mention the Sidewinder 8th someone shoots down my point because they donít know what a Sidewinder 8th is, and think Iím talking about the Sidewinder 3 or 4. Thanks +gotnorice, you handled it a lot better than I would lol. Anyway creator I want another update, seems like itís doing good.
    Yeah. That was me. At least this time. I have admitted fault. My bad

75% of the time I mention the Sidewinder 8th someone shoots down my point because they don’t know what a Sidewinder 8th is, and think I’m talking about the Sidewinder 3 or 4. Thanks +gotnorice, you handled it a lot better than I would lol. Anyway creator I want another update, seems like it’s doing good.
    Don’t take what I said the wrong way, I just didn’t want this to turn out into an argument thread. I’ve been running the truck hard geared 22/52. It keeps its cool I’ve only gotten the esc up to 121 and the motor to 163. The real test is when the summer heat comes. Lots of speed and power, I wish I had another system I could compare it to other than the vxl.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your El Sob special motor system! Could you please post some more pictures so we can see how everything is doing?

RC Qualifier
    Don’t take what I said the wrong way, I just didn’t want this to turn out into an argument thread. I’ve been running the truck hard geared 22/52. It keeps its cool I’ve only gotten the esc up to 121 and the motor to 163. The real test is when the summer heat comes. Lots of speed and power, I wish I had another system I could compare it to other than the vxl.
    No no you’re fine, just happy rice beat me to it . Anyway, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Glad it worked out.

Edit: hmm, 160 in cold temps. Personally my e revo motor is running 160 right now and in the summer the old one was pushing 220. (It blew up) I wish the Traxxas 2200 was as durable as the 3500 heat wise! I’ve seen someone get it to 256 degrees running it on 6s lol! And it was fine after!! I guess that thing may not run the coolest but it sure doesn’t really care if it gets hot. I wouldn’t treat the castle motor the same way. Many say you don’t wanna pass 170 degrees on the motor here, (if you want it to last) so I’d gear down for the summer.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 11-08-2018 at 03:07 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Sounds like you are really enjoying your El Sob special motor system! Could you please post some more pictures so we can see how everything is doing?

I know I would love to see more pics as well

I have a fan and motor heatsink on order and do realize I’ll have to gear down for our 100 degree summers hear lol. For you guys that want more pics, what would you like pics of exactly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast