RC Champion

Couple questions

This truck is attempting to drag me back into the hobby. I "won" an ebay bid on a Fox shox edition one with 2 3s 5000 batteries/charger. Only "upgrade" done is a Savox SW0321(something like that). Still waiting on it to update in UPS.

Being a old nitro fiend, i was curious as to the run times people are seeing on a stock setup running 6s? I've been scouring the pages/internet trying to find information.

Im also curious as to what upgrades are worthwhile with this truck? I've been looking into grabbing a axle skidplate, RPM control arms, and playing with diff viscosity.

Any one else from around the Albany, NY area? I remember it gets lonely bashing alone. One of my supervisors is already scoping out spots to go to.

Please watch the language. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-30-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Champion
    Got the truck, dude smashed a curb-replacing pins, pin-retainers, upper a-arm, front drive shaft, numerous screws...every screw the guy touched he stripped the head or the hole.

Shipment of replacement parts from Traxxas arrives Monday.

RC Qualifier
    Ahhh bummmerrr. Hope it works out, I wanna hear an update.

RC Champion

The small pile of just replacement parts. Not including a battery door, the missing retainers, the cracked chassis, cracked in half transmission cover...and the countless screws I've replaced.

Got the Bluetooth link so I can tweak the transmitter the way I kinda like. Ended up hitting a stack of snow tires because I didn't realize there is 2 channel 1's. Don't think that would have caused the front CV axle to break...but it did. Played with it more and kept getting annoyed the realize the TSM or whatever... is kicking in and making it quite impossible to drive in rwd. Turned it off and it moves! Hopefully a LHS has part 8550 or 2 so I don't have to pay shipping or wait.

RC Competitor
    6S will do that...might want to go to 4s next....

RC Champion
    For what? The broken center driveshaft or the bent/shredded front cv?

I actually get 4 2S 7600 packs tomorrow. May sell off 2.

Got a good 30-35min in RWD. Don't think i've ever rolled a RC so much.

LHS don't carry any parts for this, yet?

RC Competitor

4s for less breakage

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx-Damage View Post
    For what? The broken center driveshaft or the bent/shredded front cv?

I actually get 4 2S 7600 packs tomorrow. May sell off 2.

Got a good 30-35min in RWD. Don't think i've ever rolled a RC so much.

LHS don't carry any parts for this, yet?
    Go 4s for less breakage.....6s is a beast....most who run 6s repair a lot more...I run 4s and do minimal repairs....love the truck....just my opinion......lol

RC Champion
    Got the new dog bone in and had 4wd, so much more fun! But something tells me the rwd fun i had took a toll. Went out after work with 2 of my supervisors and played around a gravel parking lot, let them drive and they both seemed to really have fun with it. I took over again and about 10min later i kart wheel it after a couple attempts at a jump. Ripped a pillow ball out of the upper right arm that i just replaced. Good thing i had the left over Left arm.

Then today...

Got about 15-20min of run time on my new 2Sx2 packs, about 10min in something didnt sound overly right. Little grindy. Couple minutes later i underestimated a puddle depth and plunged it above the motor. ESC now flashes red, and the drivetrain locked up. Took the motor out, not the motor, removed the rear drive shaft and bingo...

One of the center bearings in the rear planetary decided to go full claymore in there and locked the rear end solid.

I think in the last week I've only gotten about 40min of trouble free run time, every other time out i break something.

RC Competitor

run.......break.......fix......run.......break

Got the new dog bone in and had 4wd, so much more fun! But something tells me the rwd fun i had took a toll. Went out after work with 2 of my supervisors and played around a gravel parking lot, let them drive and they both seemed to really have fun with it. I took over again and about 10min later i kart wheel it after a couple attempts at a jump. Ripped a pillow ball out of the upper right arm that i just replaced. Good thing i had the left over Left arm.

Then today...

Got about 15-20min of run time on my new 2Sx2 packs, about 10min in something didnt sound overly right. Little grindy. Couple minutes later i underestimated a puddle depth and plunged it above the motor. ESC now flashes red, and the drivetrain locked up. Took the motor out, not the motor, removed the rear drive shaft and bingo...

One of the center bearings in the rear planetary decided to go full claymore in there and locked the rear end solid.

I think in the last week I've only gotten about 40min of trouble free run time, every other time out i break something.
    You'll see a pattern pretty soon....all of us are doing this....lol

RC Champion
    I'm thinking about having a full spare planetary on hand, and associated bearings.

However, the whole critical programming error thing has me a little salty. Ill send traxxas an email and see what happens, i may look into the Hobbywing Max6 just a little more in the mean time. I fortunately leave the country for 2 weeks on Sunday, slightly bummed i can't take this out once more before i go.

RC Competitor

less rollover

I'm thinking about having a full spare planetary on hand, and associated bearings.

However, the whole critical programming error thing has me a little salty. Ill send traxxas an email and see what happens, i may look into the Hobbywing Max6 just a little more in the mean time. I fortunately leave the country for 2 weeks on Sunday, slightly bummed i can't take this out once more before i go.
    If you put an open diff in it it will make less noise and roll over a lot less.....

RC Champion
    Im thinking more about it. Now i have probably about 3 weeks before i can drive it again. Got an RMA, was a very quick phone call with the Traxxas guy i talked with. Now to find time to ship it this week.

RC Champion
    Got an email today at 1:04, the esc was received, then at 5:12 another email saying my new esc was being forwarded to shipping under warranty.

Next problem, I'm in Aruba and have to change the shipping address.

RC Champion
    Got my replacement ESC. Almost a different truck! So much more power. Infact it broke a stub axle/hub pin. twice.

Not saying this will solve my problem with that, but any downside to running an aluminum "hub" with the aluminum hub/rotor?

RC Champion
    Ended up twisting another center driveshaft. Ordered a Hot Racing driveshaft/planetary one piece. And a DSM bearing kit. Since half my bearings are seized.

RC Racer
    I run mine with 6s and have not broken anything. I do however take it easy on throttle and never punch it off the line and I dont bash it like I do the Slash. I really see this truck as a work of art and try to just enjoy the awesome suspension when Im out running it.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

RC Champion
    I don't exactly get to send this thing off massive jumps, but dam...just cruising around my front yard a rear trailing arm and stub axle pin snapped.

Also trying 55wt and 70wt. So far not a fan. Super stiff, zero roll. May dial the back to 70wt in the sprung shocks and 55 in the other 2. Then put 30wt in the front 2 shocks. Front diff also was dry, giving Motul PA90 gear oil a shot.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcgeorge View Post
    I run mine with 6s and have not broken anything. I do however take it easy on throttle and never punch it off the line and I dont bash it like I do the Slash. I really see this truck as a work of art and try to just enjoy the awesome suspension when Im out running it.
    Exactly how I run all my r/c investments. Imo this truck should be driven in scale and is designed to do so. It's not a slash/basher truck. Folks can't expect this truck design to absorb the punishment. I can't even watch the you tube videos of people intently destroying the dang things. Call me old fashioned. Driven conservatively this truck should last many years without failure.

RC Competitor

Mean while......back on the ranch........

I don't exactly get to send this thing off massive jumps, but dam...just cruising around my front yard a rear trailing arm and stub axle pin snapped.

Also trying 55wt and 70wt. So far not a fan. Super stiff, zero roll. May dial the back to 70wt in the sprung shocks and 55 in the other 2. Then put 30wt in the front 2 shocks. Front diff also was dry, giving Motul PA90 gear oil a shot.
    What were you doing before you were cruising around the front yard and broke a trailing arm......lol....all those 6s jumps and hole-shots take it toll on everything.......just saying!

RC Champion
    I ended up frying ESC number 2. Upon closer inspection the sheathing for the motor cables broke and i believe it was arcing across sending it the ESC into Critical programming error.

Reason behind me snapping stub axles is the plastic hubs had started to get slotted. The back and forth motion was enough force to snap them. Aluminum hubs replaced plastic and i have not had a problem breaking stub axles. So far.

I'm 90% positive the trailing arms were...not straight... from before i even got it, if you tried to go fast or punch it, the truck would just get squirrelly for no reason. Changed out both and it goes like an arrow now.

I like having this truck, it's starting to push me to resurrect my T-maxx.