RC Racer

Motor bearing replacement time

I bought a used slash 4x4. Ran it about 10 packs. The motor bearing went bad. I need suggestions on how to get this bushing off. I don't want to mangle it more than it is. Sorry about the link......Thanks Dan https://photos.app.goo.gl/xn5Br9dpoM6SFdC18

By watching the video, the bushing is on the backside of the rotor assembly.
    Your pictures are of the front side...

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Hey thanks for the link! I do have the current generation can. But I will have to check into the rotor. It stated in the video that there are different combinations of old rotors and New Generation cans. The bushing that came with the kit has a different OD than the rear bearing.

Looks like a pretty simple process. Thanks for the video!
    Choose Life !!!

That is not a bushing. That is the inner race of a bearing. Pliers and muscle are what you need.

RC Racer
    Ok, I wasn't sure. My bearing was dust....

Don't forget to use the El Sob bearing mod on it when you are finished
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Yep, will definitely do the mod. Its ugly in there... Here's some pics of bushing just slid in place. Notice the big size difference between the bushing and the replacement. https://photos.app.goo.gl/GAyq9cs1A44oNJpe7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7MWht7VZop6Q97nP8

Again sorry for the link....
    Last edited by Workingstiff; 10-20-2018 at 10:17 AM.

That is the rotor from a two pole motor. The four pole rotor has a kevlar wrap around the magnet. I have a two pole motor in my new Ultimate edition!

RC Racer
    I changed out the bearings. To get the race off,I chucked up a grinding stone and went around it in 4 different spots. It heated up enough to slide right off. The brass bushing in the pic is a spacer. I didn't remove the original. I don't see reason. The bearings went back wonderfully. I went to run it and no steering.... ugh it took quite an ugly tumble when it quit running.

RC Racer
    Whats the benefit over 2 pole or 4 pole?

RC Enthusiast
    Four pole has double torgue (okay, not exactly double, cuz of added mass), half speed (not so hot) and runs smoother. But usually are bigger and heavier

A two pole motor actually is almost as smooth as a sensored motor system at low speeds.

RC Enthusiast
    Cuz of crazy rpm, 4 pole motor get twice as much pulses, and twice as much "between" pulses, so it's difference between 2 and 4 poles chopps, but basically, 4 pole is less choppy, mainly in low rpm

RC Racer
    So in short time,I'm sure I'll find out if I destroyed this motor with the blow gun. I was blowing off the rotor of shaving dust fragments and I'm not sure if they use some type of balancing compound on the end of the armature but I may have blown a piece off.

If that's the case what's "goto" motor. 2S for now in the for seeable future.
    Last edited by Workingstiff; 10-23-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    A two pole motor actually is almost as smooth as a sensored motor system at low speeds.
    I was thinking the same thing, my wife's pede has the older 2 pole velineon and it seems like a sensored motor compared to the 4 pole castle motors when I run it.
    I don't have a newer 4 pole version of to compare it to but my 2200kv, 2400kv, 2650kv and 3800kv 4 pole motors are far rougher at low speed then the 2 pole velineon.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, my wife's pede has the older 2 pole velineon and it seems like a sensored motor compared to the 4 pole castle motors when I run it.
    I don't have a newer 4 pole version of to compare it to but my 2200kv, 2400kv, 2650kv and 3800kv 4 pole motors are far rougher at low speed then the 2 pole velineon.
    The new four pole motor acts like the aforementioned motors. It's not quite as strong but it's definitely noticeable. At low speeds the new for pole motor hops and clicks a lot. The two pole is smooth as a sensored motor.