RC poster

Spartan crash and damage

Hello everyone, New guy from the U.K. here, bought myself a Rock and Roll Spartan the other week and I'm very impressed with the speed and handling of it. however i crashed it at speed and the damage was a bit disappointing. Ive broke the top of the boat around the holes to let the water out and cracked both sides where the canopy sits in. Ive repaired it with sugru and super glue. Ive installed a splash guard for looks. Ive been reading this forum for a while and just discovered you need two sets of trim tabs for 6s. Can anyone please tell me where to drill for the inner trim tabs? Heres a video of the crash
    https://youtu.be/3FBI6IoZCUM
    hope its okay to post videos like this

You don't need two sets of trim tabs for 6s operation. I've been running 6s (70mph) with a single set of trim tabs for years. If you do want them though, get a flashlight and put inside your boat with the light facing the back of the boat. With that you can see the plastic that used for adding on a second pair of trim tabs.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info, im going to fit the when they arrive from the USA miles cheaper than here and free shipping too, but im desperate to try and make it more stable on 6s. Ive moved the batteries back and forth but at speed it just seems on the verge of a disaster waiting to happen. Ive got a gps speed meter in it and the fastest its been is 51 mph on a metal but standard prop. Im sure theres a bit left in it speedwise but like i say its on the verge of going into orbit. maybe lighter batteries would help?

Actually, try a bigger battery and put them about an inch back from the very front. If your unstable at 51 miles an hour you might want to run a little bit wetter (front end down). If you are running dry (back end down) you'll go faster with what ever setup you have, but you will be squirrely. At 51 miles an hour you should be rock solid, because a stock Spartan shouldn't start to get unstable until it's in the 60's.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Agree with reglarguy, you don't need the dual tabs, but for me, using the inner (the ones you drill out) holes for the tabs makes a huge difference, i think the stock position is just too high for where it runs at speed, and the adjustable tabs are really nice. I do have the dual tabs, but on my last run i ran with the inner flaps only, and that was just as stable at speed, so i would say the stock tabs just ride to high at speed.
    I run a quite heavy set of batteries and i keep them all up front. Plus i have an iphone lying infront of my heavier than stock motor. So weight in front is not a problem, i've run 67mph with this setup and its really stable now. Ofcourse i also have the longer/knife-sharp turn-fins and a longer rudder. My strut is almost flat, slightly downward-facing. What propeller you use will also affect the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigcheck View Post
    Thanks for the info, im going to fit the when they arrive from the USA miles cheaper than here and free shipping too, but im desperate to try and make it more stable on 6s. Ive moved the batteries back and forth but at speed it just seems on the verge of a disaster waiting to happen. Ive got a gps speed meter in it and the fastest its been is 51 mph on a metal but standard prop. Im sure theres a bit left in it speedwise but like i say its on the verge of going into orbit. maybe lighter batteries would help?
    Why have one Spartan when you can have two?

RC poster
    thanks for the replies fellas