RC Enthusiast

Motor shaft bent

I have a slash 4x4 with the center diff. I will say I am not easy on it. I took it out over the weekend and drove it pretty hard. Somehow I bent the motor shaft and ruined the spur and pinion gears. I have ordered new integy hardened gears. I would like to save the motor I have if there is some way i can straighten it back out, if not what is the best motor I can put in without having to replace the stock VXL ESC? If I have to get another motor I wouldnt mind getting something a little faster. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

She you sure the motor shaft is bent? You could have melted the motor mount or the slipper clutch bearing adapter. I have never bent a shaft. They break if anything.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

She you sure the motor shaft is bent? You could have melted the motor mount or the slipper clutch bearing adapter. I have never bent a shaft. They break if anything.
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I am sure it was bent. But I took it to work and got it almost perfectly straight again.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysNation View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

You can buy a new rotor, but they cost so much you might as well get a new motor. I also wouldn't recommend the integy gears, most of their parts are low quality and I wouldn't trust them with gears. I like to keep stock plastic spur in, it's a cheap weak point that you can easily replace if something goes wrong. If you get a steel spur you're putting all the stress on the diffs and driveshafts, much more expensive to fix.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the welcome!

I already bought the integy gears so I will have to see how that works out. It has to be better than plastic. If they aren't good enough I will find out what is and replace it. My goal it to make it bullet proof. I have put a lot of time and money into making it that way. I think what happened is I went up a tooth on the pinion and must not have had the mesh right. I am going to metal because I don't want a cheap weak point in there. I want it to all hold up like my Arrma does. It will not break unless I hit something hard and anything will break if you crash into something going fast. It takes a lot of parts but I believe you can make a slash pretty much bullet proof. I run mine hard and it doesn't usually break anymore and when it does I try to find a way to make it better. Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by carc View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I am sure it was bent. But I took it to work and got it almost perfectly straight again.
    Wow! That is the first I have ever heard of. That takes talent Lol I'm happy that you were able to get it straight.

Personally, I wouldn't think you could ever get it straight again. Maybe enough, but you would have to keep your mesh loose. Not all Integy parts are bad. I surely wouldn't buy gear's from them though. All my gear's are RR. Tough as a horseshoe nail I say.
    Choose Life !!!

I want to see it run. Bad vibrations anyone.

RC Enthusiast
    It wont vibrate. I ran an indicator across it and checked the runout. I would be willing to bet it is closer than most motors that have ate a pinion gear sometime in their life. When it bent I was camping for the weekend and did not have the shop to properly fix it so I put new gears in it and just ran it loose to get by for the weekend and it still had no vibration that I could tell. It ran great, just a little loud and it beat up the gears a little bit again. Trentbaby65, I'll be happy to throw up a video when I get it back together.

That would be cool.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I got my parts yesterday and started to put it back together, then I found out why the shaft bent. The bearing the holds the center diff into the chassis disintegrated. I'm replacing everything related. New diff, bearings, spur and pinion. Going to have to get the bearings after work today. If the motor vibrates I'll replace that too but I feel confident.

Glad you got it figured out!
    Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    did u check if its the bearings or the actual shaft cause your bearings may be blown

Quote Originally Posted by carc View Post
    Well, I got my parts yesterday and started to put it back together, then I found out why the shaft bent. The bearing the holds the center diff into the chassis disintegrated. I'm replacing everything related. New diff, bearings, spur and pinion. Going to have to get the bearings after work today. If the motor vibrates I'll replace that too but I feel confident.
    I had a feeling that the motor mount bearing went. If you are going to replace parts, please make sure that you replace the motor mount. It could be warped from the heat. I recommend that you get an aluminum motor mount.

RC Enthusiast
    There is no motor mount bearing, just the aluminum plate. The bearing goes between the center diff and the chassis.

The motor screws on to the motor plate. The motor plate hooks on to the motor mount. The bearing that the slipper rides in that self destructed, is mounted in the motor mount. This mount is plastic unless you have a Platinum Slash or an Ultimate model which come with an alloy motor mount.
    If you have a plastic motor mount, this is why your bearing blew apart. Upgrade to an alloy mount asap.
    KingHeadz
    HotRacing
    Traxxas
    Whatever.

That is the bearing adapter (6893X).

RC Enthusiast
    Ah, I get it now. Thanks for that explanation.. I will order the part and install next time it is apart. It is back together now. No vibration. I have not road tested it yet but it looks to be ok now.
    https://imgur.com/SMjCGbr

RC Enthusiast
    This shows it goes on the end of the slipper clutch assembly. It would be the same part if I upgraded to a center diff right?

The bearing adaptor is part of the slipper clutch assembly (black plastic one in the picture):

I don't use the center diff, but I don't think it uses a bearing adaptor. Looks like the bearing just slips onto the assembly:

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in...

Yes, the motor mount is the same regardless of Slipper Clutch of Center Diff.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the help everyone. It is much appreciated. Everything is working great again.

I might be upgrading the diffs next. As soon as my new ESC comes in for my Kraton the slash is going 1/8 motor and esc.