RC poster

Considering Conversion

Ok so I have had my 2wd slash for some time now and I recently just upgraded to a 3s LiPo (super excited!). Ever since upgrading I have almost no control while driving it. Is it worth me buying a slash 4x4 roller and just transfer my electronics over to it or would it be better to get better tires. Or is the new TSM worth trying out?
    **BTW, this is a basher vehicle and I mainly drive on grass and dirt.
    Last edited by Delzer4848; 10-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Slash 2wd VXL and LaTrax Teton

Quote Originally Posted by Delzer4848 View Post
    Ok so I have had my 2wd slash for some time now and I recently just upgraded to a 3s LiPo (super excited!). Ever since upgrading I have almost no control while driving it. Is it worth me buying a slash 4x4 roller and just transfer my electronics over to it or would it be better to get better tires. Or is the new TSM worth trying out?
    **BTW, this is a basher vehicle and I mainly drive on grass and dirt.
    Kind of a hard decision to make, I like the 2wd more then the 4wd but that's just me, the 4wd is much easier to control if its what your after.
    I can't personally speak on TSM since I've never owned one, I did buy a spectrum AVC system for my speed rig but soon found they didn't work well in that application, I never put it in any other RC so I really can't comment on that either, it just sits in the extra receiver box now.
    I have two 2wd's and two 4wd's, both trucks are a blast imo, I may like the 2wd's better but many people prefer the 4wd's.
    I guess since you have a 2wd getting a 4wd would be better, having one of each is a lot of fun.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Tsm will help tremendously in keeping it straight. Next on the list is tires! When I put the vxl system on 3s into my 2wd slash it was all but undrivable, swapped in a tsm radio and reciever, put 1/8 buggy tires on it and ot was a blast.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    TSM is great, tested in many applications on many different surfaces. You can adjust it to suit your driving style and helps novice drivers get good quickly with less frustration by helping not spin out.

You can go 100% throttle in the wet and it goes dead straight with traction control. Also pre-empts traction roll on takeoff and adjusts steering slightly to compensate plus it helps jumping too....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the input! What it sounds like is if I stick with the 2wd, I should get the tsm. Otherwise if I switch over to 4wd it kinda defeats the purpose. I will probably buy the tsm controller and receiver and get different tire.
    What are some good tires to get, I've been looking at the trenchers, badlands, and speedtreads since I've had good luck with them.

I personally like the Duratrax lockups in addition to the trenchers and badlands. The lockups have been great in terms of grip, degradation and cost.

Big plus one on the lockups! I love that tire.

RC poster
    Good to know, are they good on pretty much all surfaces?

When running lockups I haven't ran into a situation where I regretted having them on. I don't run on street very much, so I can't attest to the longevity in that application.

RC Qualifier

Considering Conversion

Thanks for all of the input! What it sounds like is if I stick with the 2wd, I should get the tsm. Otherwise if I switch over to 4wd it kinda defeats the purpose. I will probably buy the tsm controller and receiver and get different tire.
    What are some good tires to get, I've been looking at the trenchers, badlands, and speedtreads since I've had good luck with them.
    I have a 4x4 VXL Stampede and I love it. Iím building a 2wd Slash and am using a TSM receiver so I can use the same controller. I love the TSM system and it should be awesome for the 2wd.
    I suggest get a 4x4 vxl. Then get a 30$ TSM receiver and whatever else you need to convert the 2wd.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F311405861572

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aqualungs; 10-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.

RC Champion
    Just don't squeeze the trigger so hard until your moving ! My friend hates my slash 2wd because it slides everywhere..... I said no, you just can't drive it. The throttle is a control device not a switch, take it easy, but that said new tyres are a good upgrade regardless!
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Champion
    A better transmitter can help to alleviate heavy trigger finger as well. I know on my old Airtronics M8 you can adjust things like throttle response and brakes well as how much percentage for the brakes and reverse. Makes a big difference believe it or not. Best thing like you are saying is to have some control of your trigger finger. Most people grab transmitter and first thing they do is yank trigger back all the way!! That is when your face balls up and the cringing comes LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    Just don't squeeze the trigger so hard until your moving ! My friend hates my slash 2wd because it slides everywhere..... I said no, you just can't drive it. The throttle is a control device not a switch, take it easy, but that said new tyres are a good upgrade regardless!
    Pretty much it in a nut shell; both my 2wd's run Castle 2400kv motors on 3s and neither have any driving helpers.
    I thought about putting one (Spectrum AVC) on my FLM 2wd but their not allowed on the indoor tracks I have to run on.
    I suppose if you just wanted to run on the track for open practice it would be okay; then again you have to learn to drive all over again if you wanted to compete.
    I can however see how someone that is new to the hobby would enjoy something like TSM, it would help them not get frustrated and quit the hobby because they didn't feel good enough; something I think would have happened to my neighbor without it.

RC poster
    All very good tips and ideas everyone, thanks! Now also considering that this is a basher, what are my go to hopup parts, and what should be plastic or aluminum?

All very good tips and ideas everyone, thanks! Now also considering that this is a basher, what are my go to hopup parts, and what should be plastic or aluminum?
    I've always replaced the plastic caster blocks with Traxxas aluminum, it was always the first thing I broke.
    If your going to stay with stock Ultra shocks you'll be replacing the caps with aluminum ones soon also ( stock caps like to pop off).
    I put aluminum caps all around and TiNi shafts on the rear of her pede; so far it's been great.
    Honestly I'm impressed at how well the Ultras can perform with a little maintenance and tuning

RC poster
    what about driveshafts?

RC Qualifier
    what about driveshafts?
    Budget upgrade-slash 4x4 rear ones, for high voltage bashing-mip x-dutyís. Tekno are also good but I donít have any experience with them so i canít comment them.

what about driveshafts?
    I run tekno on my FLM build, it has a 2400kv Castle setup and they've never flinched.
    One thing to consider with Tekno is you'll almost have to use their rear carriers, this isn't really a bad thing because you have six different adjusting holes in them.

RC Qualifier
    I started like your story here with a 2wd Slash that had a nice brushless setup and 3s was a hoot. Once it was going fast it was hard to slow down. The wheelies were very cool I must say.
    Ultimately I got a Slash 4x4 and it went downhill from there. I got addicted to speed.

As far as a basher 2wd Slash is about as good as it gets for reliability. If you want great traction and improved handling/braking then go with a 4x4.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    It was a hard decision, but I wanted to work on something different different, and like you said I wanted to kick that back end out. I have my Stampede 4x4 vxl and love the handling.
    It was also hard not turning this into a monster slash and be biased towards off road, but I wanted something more for street.