RC Enthusiast

Random Question....

I ordered the DeWalt 14.4v motor for my Summit. I don't have a dremel or anything to cut the pinion off. Is it fine to run the stock pinion? It seems to mesh ok with the spur, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GengarMan57 View Post
    I ordered the DeWalt 14.4v motor for my Summit. I don't have a dremel or anything to cut the pinion off. Is it fine to run the stock pinion? It seems to mesh ok with the spur, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!!!!
    Im not 100% sure on this but I guess you could just try it out and see if it runs ok.

Its been a while but I think the Dewalt pinion has a different pitch. I think siting still the mesh appears to line up, but under power the millimeter differences in the teeth will eventually chew up your plastic spur gear. But the spur gears are only like $1 . So give it a try, I'm known to be wrong from time to time.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Walmart sells cheap off brand name Dremel / cutter for $15. They pale in comparison to the quality of a true dremel, but they do the job.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

The Dewalt pinion is definitely an alien pitch. Do not run it with the stock spur.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Champion
    You are correct El Sob, the pinion that comes pressed on will need to be removed. Itís definitely not the same pitch. Here is my 18v rigid motor setup with an older MMM ESC being used in ďbrushedĒ mode. It is a torque monster!! I am running 18 tooth pinion and 62 tooth spur. It is about same speed as stock setup, but with a lot more torque. Never have gotten the motor past warm even with a full set of 5k mah batts bashing until LVC kicks in at 3.5vpc. I could always put my 2200kv CC motor in, but I like the ability to crawl slower than a snail!!!
    I also am running dual savox 1267SG HV servos and a CC bec set to 7.4vdc. Gives me about 540oz. of steering torque. Last couple of things I did was replace shift servo from the stock 2065 to the larger 2080 from a MERV. Also running trencher Xís on it. Love it and donít think I could ever sell it!!
    I use an old revo 3.3 truck body for my general bashing. Keeps my yellow body in good shape!!
    I will never get what I have into it back. But that is the nature of the beast!! Itís one tough truck even with stock diffs, which have never been shimmed. Never had issues with them!!
    Couple more pics.

RC Champion
    Forgot to mention, I have had this thing for close to 10yrs. Itís been a great truck for the $300 I paid for it!!!

I've had mine for 10 yrs. Love it like a pet and definately never selling the old girl.

RC Champion
    Same here. Just canít find it in me to let her go!! Been too good of a truck to me. I have not broken a part in it in a very very long time!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't visited this thread in a while. Let me share what happened!!! So, I tried it. It didn't work. It was super slow and loud. So yeah, I can 100% say it doesn't work. Anyway, I got the DeWalt in (I finally got a Dremel) The DeWalt is so good! It has infinite amounts of torque! I have Mud Slingers on mine and it pulls them around with no problem. It seems a tad bit faster than stock too, although i haven't done a proper speed run. I've had my Summit for close to a year now. I'm never gonna sell it! Easily the best truck I've ever owned! Being able to bash the crap out of it and then crawl over anything is amazing! Also, 222, very nice build!!!! That Revo body looks sweet! I need to get stronger servos for mine. The stockers work fine for bashing, but once I start crawling they just don't have enough torque.

RC Champion
    Yeah the stock servos are so so. I ended up with 2 savox servos and a cc bec. Set voltage to 7.4vdc and that gives me about 544oz of torque between the 2. I have dual 1267sgís. They are HV servos and are pretty fast as well as having 277oz of torque each. Plenty of torque with 2 of them. Once I set them up, Iíve not had to mess with them ever. But I donít beat the snot out of my truck either. Other then that I have the Traxxas aluminum toe links and push rods as well as proline trenchers. With the 18v rigid drill motor and an old castle MMM, it is perfect for what I need. One day Iíll upgrade to the newer sensored setup. For now I am happy with the way it works.