RC Racer

Motor upgrade details

I've never done it, but I'm sure we all will given enough time.
    Would some of you in the know post some of the pros and characteristics of the most common engine/esc/battery combos. Why did you go with this or that motor; basher,track,speed and bigger tires etc.What motor works with 2S well up to...... I've not ran into a comprehensive thread detailing the why you chose the motor combo u did.

I don't need speed, but I do have BadlandsMX28 and live in hot Southern California.
    I run the CC 2200kV w/ MMX in my basher with 20/50 gears to keep my temps in check.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

For me, it has been the 2400kv motor from Traxxas and Castle Creations. I find that the motor has plenty of power and runs a lot cooler than the stock motor. You can hear it up to reach amazing speeds! I have had it paired with the Mamba Max Pro, the ET-3s, four pole Velineon and the Mamba X esc's. The newest rendition of the 2400kv motor is sensored. Which adds a new level of low speed power and smoothness. This has been my go to for several years and will be for several years to come
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I've got two favorite Slash motors however neither run on 2s anymore so I'm not sure if this will be helpful.
    I run the 2400kv Castle (El Sob Special) in my 2wd's and while I run 2200kv and 2650kv Castle's in my 4wd's the 2650kv is my favorite of the two; this is again however on 3s.
    The 2200kv is a great motor with a lot of potential but I just like the way the 2650 runs on 3s, on 4s it proves more then I can handle.
    If speed runs are something you may consider in the future the 2200kv would definitely be the better choice as far as Castle products go.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Thanks and keep it goin!!!
    FYI---Not hung up on 2S,I'm just there now and most start there....

If you need to run 2S, you need to stick with a higher KV motor like the 3800kv 1410. Lower KV motors will be very slow on 2S with practical gearing.

3S-4S opens up your options a lot. At that point you should decide if you want to primarily run 3S with a bit of 4S, or primarily run 4S. If you are going to primarily run 3S, then you might look into a combo with a 2400kv 1410 motor or a 2650kv 1512 motor. If you are going to primarily run 4S, then go for a 2200kv 1515 motor (even the 1515B motor from the Sidewinder 8th combo). The 2200kv motor runs 3S fine also but you can tell it wakes up a bit on 4S. Just the same, motors like the 2400kv can handle 4S just fine but it is venturing into overkill and you need to be careful (this is how I broke the shaft on my 2400kv).

Decide if you want to go sensored or not. If not, it's hard to beat the Sidewinder 8th combo. With that combo you get the 2200kv 1515B motor, and a Sidewinder 8th ESC. It's a budget 8th scale ESC but can still handle more power than pretty much any 1/10th scale castle ESC and is great in 1/10th scale vehicles. For full on overkill go for a Mamba Monster X ESC and a real 2200kv 1515 motor.

RC poster
    My son’s Slash 4x4 has a handful of performance upgrades and only gets used for running on a couple of tracks in the area; not in competition, just for fun. He’s just started looking at a motor upgrade to replace the stock Velineon, so this thread is timed perfectly. For a track-only truck, what would y’all recommend? Not sure if we’d stick with 2S, so interested in all options. Thanks!

Also remember...not everything has to have a Castle name on it. My progression through motors

Left to right:

Traxxas 3500 3655 can ..stock motor..great on 2s,temp issues on 3s

Traxxas/Castle 2400 3670 can...gear it up and run on 3s

Kershaw Designs 2700 3674can ..gear it to the moon and run on 3s...4s is stupid fast

RC Gearshop 2150 4074can the torque monster.

I have run all those on a Hobbywing WP SC8..it has been flawless. I paid $60 for the HW w/program card and roughly $50 ea. for the 2400, Kershaw 2700 and the Gearshop 2150. So $210 for 3 different motor options. Pretty good deal in my book. My favorite? That Kershaw by far. It flat out rocks! No longer available but there are similar options out there...take a peek at Leopard offerings.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I'm assuming the CC 2400 is a 1415, and the 2200 is a 1515?

I have the MMX\2650 1512 in my platinum w\2.8 trenchers, and it runs great!! NO heat issues.

My ultimate is running hot ever since I put the SC badlands on it, and get tired of 8-10 minute run times on the stock 3500 Velineon motor before it shuts down. So, I have 2 choices....either gear it down a few teeth and see if that helps, or upgrade the motor\ESC.

If I get another 15xx motor and MMX ESC, then I have some upgrades to make...motor mount, axles, diffs, and slipper. Everything is stock RTR parts as it sits now.

If I get a 14xx motor, and MX ESC, then I "may" can keep it stock until I start breaking parts, then upgrade as needed?

This is also a 3S basher if that helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for hijacking this thread. Being on the subject at hand, motor upgrade details, I am about to re-build a secondhand Slash 4x4 with LCG chassis. I have set my eyes on the Mamba X with the 2400 motor option. Will the 2400 motor fit the Slash 4x4? From the eyeball measurement I have done it seems to long to fit. I'll be using RPM Mamba X motor mount.

Thanks and have a great sunday.
    Sl4sh (4x4) and TRX 4 kit

Quote Originally Posted by Great@Dane View Post
    Sorry for hijacking this thread. Being on the subject at hand, motor upgrade details, I am about to re-build a secondhand Slash 4x4 with LCG chassis. I have set my eyes on the Mamba X with the 2400 motor option. Will the 2400 motor fit the Slash 4x4? From the eyeball measurement I have done it seems to long to fit. I'll be using RPM Mamba X motor mount.

Thanks and have a great sunday.
    Many people run the 2400kv in the Slash 4wd, I believe El Sob runs runs that combo almost exclusively.
    I haven't had a completely stock setup for some time but I think moving the esc up is about the only mod needed.
    Don't quote me on this until El Sob or someone else that runs the combo in question can give you a definitive answer about the ESC but the motor will fit in the truck.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

My daughter has the O.G. El Sob special motor system in her truck. It has been perfect! It still has the original differentials, plastic motor mount and CV axles. I have the truck geared low so it doesn't go very fast but it pulls out of the hole like no ones business! They are the original CV axles. She doesn't drive it hard but every now and then I take it out and blow the proverbial carbon off the valves.
    As for the Mamba X and sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor. It will fit in the stock location. Billy is correct, besides the stock motor, that is the only motor that I run. 2400kv has worked well for many years! Sensored said un-seneored.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Sidewinder 8th. Sidewinder 8 Sidewinder 8 Sidewinder 8. For those who don’t need to run 6s and 6s only, Sidewinder 8th and it’s 2200kv motor. If you do, just go Mamba Monster. Sw8 is cool as a kite as long as you keep it under 5s. And yeah, the motor is a 2200kv so you better believe you can hear it to the moon.

RC Enthusiast
    @billy-bones, El sob and Peeeenuuut: Thanks guys. Much appreciated :-)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Great@Dane View Post
    @billy-bones, El sob and Peeeenuuut: Thanks guys. Much appreciated :-)
    No problem. Curious to see what your decision was and how much you like it! Be sure to update sometime.

RC Qualifier
    My Slash actually started out with a CC 2200kv (1515 1y) since I bought a modified one on eBay. Ran with Mamba monster 2 esc (up to 6s) I was able to pull 81mph on 3s!!!!

I think this 15 series motors (2200, 2400, 2600) are great for the slash with a single battery. Moderate gearing in the ball park of 20/50 they are plenty fast for the average user and stay cool!

The truck then needs a upgrade in springs and shocks due to the extra weight with the heavier motor and battery back.
    The power leads to needing better drive shafts and possibly going to 17mm hex's which then limits wheels.
    I sort of wonder if the upgrades take away from what the truck started out as. It gets up to 10+ pounds quickly with these parts!

At any rate I am a speed junkie and ended up buying a 8s ESC using 2 battery packs and 1/5 scale TP Power motor. So now its pushing close to 15 lbs. The truck is more of a car now and only goes straight for top speed runs.

What do i think about it?
    You cant use it anywhere, it is nearly impossible to find good spots where you can safely go over 100mph.

I ended up buying an X-Maxx 8s thinking that would fill the void but then I made it fast also lol (i have a problem and need help)

My recommendation would be the 2650kv run on 3s. The more Lipo cells = a larger pack with more weight. Stick with medium kv like the 2650 to keep the speed and power up while on a lower cell count. Probably wouldn't be too bad on 2s. If you really wanted to run it on 4s or 6s it could in short bursts. It will go fast also but still great on lower power. This motor can is also shorter and somewhat lighter than the 2200kv.

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 10-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.

^^^ That is some very good information there. I concur.

Peeeenuuutt is on the money as well.
    I run a Sidewinder 8th 2200kv system on 3s and 4s and it is more than enough for a basher.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm curious too, Peeeenuuutt :-) As of now I think I'll go with Mamba X and 2400. The Slash 4x4 is a winter project, so early next at best. Let see what happens. Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    Great information, Liberty :-)

RC Racer
    im in such a bind.
    i cant figure out what to get.

pretty much stuck between the sc8 and the 2650kv motor
    or
    sc8 and the 2400kv castle motor.
    run on 3s most of the time. sometimes put it on 4s just to go stupid fast.

The 2400kv motor is an exact fit for what you are looking to do! That is what I have done with mine for several years and I will probably get another one soon for my new Ultimate edition