RC Enthusiast

Big Bore shock question

Hi,
    I have a set of big bore shocks for my EBE. What # shock oil did you guys use/find the best
    for the big bores? Front and rear?

Thanks for any help!
    E-MAXX BE, SLASH 2wd VXL, AXIAL YETI 1/10

Traxxas Marshal
    Shock oil weight can vary greatly depending on what you do with your truck. Do you off road a lot? Jump? Drive on road? Etc. Keep in mind that when adjusting shock oil weight, it is generally a good idea to change the springs as well. Heavier oil, stiffer springs and vice versa.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Shock oil weight can vary greatly depending on what you do with your truck. Do you off road a lot? Jump? Drive on road? Etc. Keep in mind that when adjusting shock oil weight, it is generally a good idea to change the springs as well. Heavier oil, stiffer springs and vice versa.
    Bashing, Jumping, Off road etc. I don't drive it on the street at all. The shocks are brand new so no oil has ever been added. I did get (8) heavy duty RC Raven springs for the shocks which should keep it from bottoming out.

Do you have the big bore shocks on your EBE? Just looking for a starting point as far as shock oil.
    Last edited by Deadbydawn71; 10-30-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    I don't run Big Bores, but I run the Ultra shocks with Big Bore caps. I run stock springs with 35wt oil (5wt higher than stock); I feel that weight is decent for all around bashing.

That said, I think a lot of people like to run their shocks stiffer than I do. Maybe start with something between 40-50wt with your new springs? Go from there.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I don't run Big Bores, but I run the Ultra shocks with Big Bore caps. I run stock springs with 35wt oil (5wt higher than stock); I feel that weight is decent for all around bashing.

That said, I think a lot of people like to run their shocks stiffer than I do. Maybe start with something between 40-50wt with your new springs? Go from there.
    Thanks for the help
    - would you believe those are what I have? haha a bottle of 40 and a bottle of 50. Hey are the ultra shocks what comes on the truck or something different?

RC Enthusiast
    I got fairly lucky too- I broke down and got the big bores for 60 and see now they are 100!

I run Traxxas "Big Bores", and they work very well if you tweak them a tad. I run 30 weight oil, and Integy blue springs. The front springs I stretch to the bottom of the shocks, and the rear 1/4 of an inch longer than the shocks. I'm sure others have had success doing other setups, but this has worked out very well for me with no failures to date.

Normal:

Stretched front:

Stretched rear:
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I run Traxxas "Big Bores", and they work very well if you tweak them a tad. I run 30 weight oil, and Integy blue springs. The front springs I stretch to the bottom of the shocks, and the rear 1/4 of an inch longer than the shocks. I'm sure others have had success doing other setups, but this has worked out very well for me with no failures to date.

Normal:

Stretched front:

Stretched rear:
    I wouldn't use Integy anything

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm not a big fan of them either, but the blue springs that they make (that I got from my LHS) are perfect for Traxxas big bore shocks.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbydawn71 View Post
    Hey are the ultra shocks what comes on the truck or something different?
    Yes, the factory shocks are the Ultra Shocks.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of them either, but the blue springs that they make (that I got from my LHS) are perfect for Traxxas big bore shocks.
    My Unlimited Engineering shocks came with 3 different springs that are color coded and rated at different rates for each shock.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk