RC poster

Stock vxl esc flashing

Hi all, just bought my first rc car today. It's a traxxas slash 4wd vxl and it's so much fun!
    Well it was for 10 minutes then the red light on the esc started flashing and it wouldn't move

I'm an rc virgin, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things.
    1. I'm running it on 3s 11.1v lipo so it could be the low battery warning or
    2. The esc is overheating, although I'd hate to think so after 10 mins runtime.

Oh, I'm running a stock velineon 3500 motor and esc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

You are correct in your diagnosis. Is the light flashing fast or slow? If it is fast you overheated the esc. Without fans on the motor and esc it is very likely that you may have overheated it. Of you are going to run 3s in your truck get fans on the motor and esc. Personally, I have Yeah Racing fans on all of my trucks because they put out a lot more air than most other fans.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    That light probably flashed on my esc more times than the normal green light was on hah! For some reason my vxl 3s esc never stayed cool on 3s... ever. Thing would manage to overheat in 30 degree Fahrenheit weather. I’m not complaining, because the thing never died somehow.

RC poster
    Thanks for the welcome and reply. Not sure I can get yeah racing fans here, I live in Australia but I am sure I will be able to come up with an alternative.

Not sure this is the right place, but any other advice on day 1 upgrades would be nice. What else do I need?

Welcome!

For upgrades, I would just upgrade parts as you break them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

RC poster
    Ok, so I found the motor heatsink and fan from yeah racing for a good price, thanks a lot. But the esc fan from yeah racing comes in different sizes. Is it the 30x30 one? Also, the official traxxas fan just clips on, how does the yeah racing one fit.

Thanks again

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rogieb73 View Post
    Ok, so I found the motor heatsink and fan from yeah racing for a good price, thanks a lot. But the esc fan from yeah racing comes in different sizes. Is it the 30x30 one? Also, the official traxxas fan just clips on, how does the yeah racing one fit.

Thanks again
    I found these videos helpful when it comes to upgrades https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VaM212BsYWOR5B

He doesn’t install yeah racing fans but may help a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks so much jaykurb! Just what I needed.

Thanks again
    I just removed the stock fan from the Traxxas fan housing. The Yeah Racing fan was a direct drop in.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I just removed the stock fan from the Traxxas fan housing. The Yeah Racing fan was a direct drop in.
    Mine doesn't have the traxxas fan already fitted though. It came without one.

They don't cost much. It is a necessity if you are going to run 3s with the Velineon motor system!

Hi all, just bought my first rc car today. It's a traxxas slash 4wd vxl and it's so much fun!
    Well it was for 10 minutes then the red light on the esc started flashing and it wouldn't move

I'm an rc virgin, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things.
    1. I'm running it on 3s 11.1v lipo so it could be the low battery warning or
    2. The esc is overheating, although I'd hate to think so after 10 mins runtime.

Oh, I'm running a stock velineon 3500 motor and esc. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I agree with many of the others, 3s with a 2wd is much but in a 4wd it's too much imho.
    Living in Australia I'm sure it's pretty warm, 3s would be okay for some speed runs but hard on and off throttle will over heat it quick; perhaps with proper driving and cooling systems you'll fare better.
    Braking the truck creates as much if not more heat the acceleration does.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

How did you mount yours ? My screws wouldn't line up, so I used some shoe-goo and all is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    How did you mount yours ? My screws wouldn't line up, so I used some shoe-goo and all is good now.
    There are screws in yours? Mine just presses into the plastic housing. I'm not sure what you mean by screws?

There are screws in yours? Mine just presses into the plastic housing. I'm not sure what you mean by screws?
    You're absolutely right...not sure what I was thinking. I guess since I saw the old fan had screw holes, that it needed screws.

But, I do know that when I put the YR fan in, it was a little loose. That's what the "goo" was for.

RC poster
    Ok, so I just tried running it again and it started smoking after 30 seconds then died immediately.. I have ordered the traxxas fan and a motor fan + heatsink but I think it's dead already. It says on the box 3s capable, so much for that!

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so I just tried running it again and it started smoking after 30 seconds then died immediately.. I have ordered the traxxas fan and a motor fan + heatsink but I think it's dead already. It says on the box 3s capable, so much for that!
    Get a different esc. Hate to say it, but the vxl 3s just isn’t a good system for what Traxxas puts it in. Yes it’s a fantastic 10th scale system for the money but putting it into an 8th scale sized car makes it almost useless on 3s. There’s another thread going on right below this about new combos of esc and motor.

RC poster
    Will check that out, thank you

It says on the box 3s capable, so much for that!
    It is 3S capable, but only sparingly.

You have to monitor temps and adjust gearing accordingly.

If you are going for speed runs, you can only do a few runs before you have to stop and let the system cool down.

ALWAYS watch your temps and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I have had good luck running 3s with the Velineon system. I have Yeah Racing fans on the motor and esc. Since I almost always have an Ultimate edition, I always monitor the motor temperature. It has been working quite well for me. I am itching to get the new sensored El Sob special motor system

RC poster
    I have had good luck running 3s with the Velineon system. I have Yeah Racing fans on the motor and esc. Since I almost always have an Ultimate edition, I always monitor the motor temperature. It has been working quite well for me. I am itching to get the new sensored El Sob special motor system
    I have ordered those fans as you recommended. How much run time are you getting on 3s before it runs too hot? Gotta get me an IR thermometer as well I think.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    It is 3S capable, but only sparingly.

You have to monitor temps and adjust gearing accordingly.

If you are going for speed runs, you can only do a few runs before you have to stop and let the system cool down.

ALWAYS watch your temps and have fun!
    It's only on the stock gearing,13t I believe. I understand I have to monitor the temps but 5 mins before the ESC fried, and not even running that hard! Maybe it's just a bad ESC but that doesn't sound very capable to me. But what do I know, lol
    Last edited by rogieb73; 10-30-2018 at 09:45 PM.

I have ordered those fans as you recommended. How much run time are you getting on 3s before it runs too hot? Gotta get me an IR thermometer as well I think.
    Honestly, I'm getting about an hour of runtime. I can rip up and down the street, jump off curbs and do whatever else I want to do with the truck. When I installed the fans it turned into a whole new truck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What heat sink are you using for the 2400 motor?
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 11-02-2018 at 03:48 PM.