RC poster

Rustler vxl tires

does anyone know a few tires for the rustler vxl that last a long time? I drive end Jump like Kevin talbot. (if you know him)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I can suggest Duratrax Banditos if you are driving on pavement.

First off, just want to Welcome you to the Traxxas Forums!

Now to the tires, I put Duratrax Banditos on my Rustler Build. But I have a question for you, what type of surface do you prefer to drive on? Gravel? Grass? Dirt? Paved roads? I'm sorry to say, but I don't know Kevin Talbot, so I don't know what he drives on.

Only picture I have of the tires:

On a smooth surface though, My Rustler does drift really easily. Have to be careful when speeding up, otherwise you'll lose control. I've only taken them on a couple runs, so might be because they haven't been broken in yet, but other then that, they run great on the roads.
    So it depends on what you are doing with them, but they are great on the roads. If you want tires for grass though, then not the right tires. These are strictly road tires as far as I can tell.

https://www.duratrax.com/tires/2-2stadiumtruck.html

Heres the website for the tires.

Hope this helps!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC poster
    Yes! that is exactly what I am looking for!
    Thx!

RC poster
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH2...Zbe26UMlGG_LVA

Link to the channel of Kevin Talbot.

Quote Originally Posted by joppe.offringa View Post
    Yes! that is exactly what I am looking for!
    Thx!

Glad to help. Hope you have lots of fun with your Truck and these Tires.

RC Qualifier
    Banditos are great on-road, but personally, I like to run the Proline Trenchers on my Rustler. You could use the lighter SC Trenchers, or if you get the MT 2.8" you'll just have to upgrade the driveshafts.

You might pick up a pair of 2.8 Talons for street driving. They are cheap and can be found at pretty much any hobby store since they are the stock tires that the Stampede VXL comes with. They are mediocre off-road at best but on-road I think they are actually pretty nice and as a bonus the bigger tires protect the car nicely when you cart-wheel and give your Rustler more of a Rustler 4x4 / mini E-Revo look.

The Talon Tires are good tires, but personally, I think there place is on a Stampede.. not a Rustler. They would be great giving the rustler more of a wide and meaner look. But I think more for a road look, the Banditos are your best bet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2.8MT tires donít belong on a 2wd Rustler. Puts too much strain on the drivetrain. I had Badlands on mine for a moment. The esc as well doesnít appreciate them.

RC Qualifier
    The MT's will balloon like crazy on 3S, Bandito or otherwise.
    +1 on the Bandito ST's, and might I suggest Lockup ST's for dirt.
    Or how about Bandito fronts and Lockup rears. Works great on the Rusta-a-pede...

Either way take off the screws from the DTX rims!!!
    They do NOTHING except add rotating weight to your drive line!
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 11-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    2.8MT tires don’t belong on a 2wd Rustler. Puts too much strain on the drivetrain. I had Badlands on mine for a moment. The esc as well doesn’t appreciate them.
    The drivetrain is exactly the same between the 2WD Rustler and the 2WD Stampede. They also both come with the exact same stock ESC options. I think it's pretty safe to say that as long as you take the larger tires into account when you decide on your gearing, they won't put any more "strain" on a 2WD Rustler than they would on a 2WD Stampede. Let's make sure we don't confuse stadium truck taboos with things that will actually be bad for a vehicle. Many larger 2.8 "MT" tires work fantastic on the Rustler.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    The drivetrain is exactly the same between the 2WD Rustler and the 2WD Stampede. They also both come with the exact same stock ESC options. I think it's pretty safe to say that as long as you take the larger tires into account when you decide on your gearing, they won't put any more "strain" on a 2WD Rustler than they would on a 2WD Stampede. Let's make sure we don't confuse stadium truck taboos with things that will actually be bad for a vehicle. Many larger 2.8 "MT" tires work fantastic on the Rustler.
    With the right upgrades youíre right. The ESC is not up to the task no matter what vehicle you put it in. The driveshafts are not up to the task no matter what vehicle you put them in. Letís make sure to give each other the right to express personal experiences that may help others.

I'm with Gripdog on this. I have a 2wd Stampede and I did not like the tires on it at all. It felt like it was working too hard with the tires. And when I did upgrade, gears broke and the axles probably came pretty close to breaking.
    You'll really need to upgrade the ESC and driveshafts to use the tires. Along with other upgrades I'm sure.

RC Qualifier
    GotNoRice is correct that the tranny for the Rustler and Pede are identical, however the esc should be fine as long as you use appropriate gearing. My Dad and i have Trenchers on our Rustlers and on his Stampede. None of them have overheating problems, especially not the esc. If you are running tall gearing and a 3s lipo, then you should definitely be concerned, but with a velineon system on stock gearing and 2s, you'll have no problems throwing 2.8" MTs on there. The only thing I don't agree with is getting Talons. Personally, I like doing wheelies, so I was pretty disappointed when I put Talons on my Rustler and it lost its ability to wheelie. I think it's worth spending more on quality tires from Proline or Jconcepts. AS for drivetrain, get some heavy duty driveshafts for the rear of a Pede 4x4 and you should be fine for any surface on 2s.

RC Qualifier
    With the right upgrades you’re right. The ESC is not up to the task no matter what vehicle you put it in. The driveshafts are not up to the task no matter what vehicle you put them in. Let’s make sure to give each other the right to express personal experiences that may help others.
    Sorry to dig up a thread from two months back.

I have been running Stampede wheels and tires on my Rustler as well as 2wd Slash and they seem okay. I am baffled by the statement above though. are you saying Traxxas is intentionally putting inadequate ESC and drive shafts in their Monster Trucks like the stampede since as GotNoRice said, when both are brushed or both vxl, Rustlers and Stampedes(and 2wd slash for that matter) have identical ESCs, motor, transmission, and drive shafts?

Traxxas support even put out a video of how to create a Slash Monster truck using Velineon motor/ESC on stock transmission+drive shafts(geared appropriately of course)

https://traxxas.com/news/monster-slash-conversion
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-04-2019 at 06:49 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Sorry to dig up a thread from two months back.

I have been running Stampede wheels and tires on my Rustler as well as 2wd Slash and they seem okay. I am baffled by the statement above though. are you saying Traxxas is intentionally putting inadequate ESC and drive shafts in their Monster Trucks like the stampede since as GotNoRice said, when both are brushed or both vxl, Rustlers and Stampedes(and 2wd slash for that matter) have identical ESCs, motor, transmission, and drive shafts?

Traxxas support even put out a video of how to create a Slash Monster truck using Velineon motor/ESC on stock transmission+drive shafts(geared appropriately of course)

https://traxxas.com/news/monster-slash-conversion
    Iím saying that to produce products that are fun out of the box, at a particular price point, you donít donít get everything you want(obvious I know). I know if you put MT tires on plastic Traxxas shafts, they donít last. I know that the escís with stock vehicles arenít up to the task. Iím okay with all this. I really like Traxxas products, but thereís always room for improvement.

RC Qualifier
    I know if you put MT tires on plastic Traxxas shafts, they don’t last. I know that the esc’s with stock vehicles aren’t up to the task. I’m okay with all this. I really like Traxxas products, but there’s always room for improvement.
    The driveshafts are definitely a known weak point, but I don't think the escs are underpowered in these vehicles, at least out of the box. My Dad has had very few issues with the stock Velineon esc even with 2.8" Trencher MT tires from Proline, both on the Stampede and the Rustler. The only reason the esc would be underpowered is if you want to do something that the truck was not originally designed to do, but as bashers it's plenty.

RC Qualifier
    I know if you put MT tires on plastic Traxxas shafts, they don’t last. I know that the esc’s with stock vehicles aren’t up to the task. I’m okay with all this.
    Aren't those plastic drive shafts and ESCs the very same parts used in Stampedes/Big Foot/Craniacs/etc?

I suppose we have to just respect each other's opinion, in this case.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Aren't those plastic drive shafts and ESCs the very same parts used in Stampedes/Big Foot/Craniacs/etc?

I suppose we have to just respect each other's opinion, in this case.
    Yes I believe the 2wdís are the same. The 4x4 are better I believe.
    Yeah. I love Traxxas products, I also like to upgrade, and love to over power my RCís so admittedly some of my comments for them not being up to the task is me liking to take things to the edge.