RC Enthusiast

1/18 Scale Racing - SST & Teton

Hello fellow mini rc enthusiasts.

I've owned the SST and Teton for a couple of years now. Over the years I've experienced joy and frustration with these little trucks, but overall they're quite fun. One of the prime sources both joy and frustration had been trying to get these little trucks to work on local turf track (Larry's RC, Sterling Heights, MI). I'd like to get them to work elsewhere, but Larry's is our main stomping ground right now. Once they're dialed in here, perhaps I'll try elsewhere. There's even a discussion of mini racing series here locally.

Either way my biggest frustration has come from tires and shocks. First the tires, there just isn't a great selection of tires for the SST and Teton. The stock tires do okay on the road and dirt, but they leave a lot to be desired. It's like driving on ice on the turf or even hard packed clay. Very little control and a lot of sliding. For the turf track I may have found a solution. Currently I'm using FOUR front tires from a Losi Mini 8ight buggy. They provide great forward bite and braking traction, but they are taller and cause the trucks to "barrel roll" a lot. I have good traction out of the corner to clear jumps, but I have to "roll" through the corners and take a very wide line. I'm going to try removing a few of the outside pins and retest this weekend.

Next the shocks. We all know the stock shocks leave a lot to be desired. There is a lot of good reviews of the Traxxas GTR's, but I just can't bring myself to spending $60 on new shocks right now. I've found that playing with oil weights and making sure they're always full of fluid has done a lot for the stock shocks. Currently the best results have come from 40W oil in the fronts and 20W or 30W oil in the rears. The SST I'm running 30W in the rears, the Teton I'm running 20W in the rears. These combinations have produced the best handling and landing so far. I'm able to jump everything at the track and not bounce down the landing ramp. It was really something to watch the little truck fly through the air, land and just shoot down the ramp. Additionally, for spring compression adjustment, shock shims for the Team Associated 18T (#21191) work great. I have one "medium" shim in the front shocks on both trucks.

My current setups are listed below. If it's not listed...it's stock.
    Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30 ESC
    Hobbywing Quicrun 2435 (4500kV) motor.
    Stock 1200mAh battery (NIMH)
    Latrax Rally gearing (14t Pinion/ 54t Spur)
    Savox steering servo (I forget the number...will look again)
    Team Associated 18T spring shims (#21191)

RC Enthusiast
    Overall I'm still working on the shocks and tire package. I'm not happy with how much the cars roll now nor how high they sit. If anyone has any other tire or wheel suggestions I'm all ears.

I'll keep testing and let you guys know what I find. I'm even thinking about a sway bar system, but that's a bit further in the future. I'm hoping to get some pictures and video in the near future to prove how well it's working.

RC poster
    Following sir

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Well didn't get to run the car a lot last weekend, but I did get two short runs in. I removed the first outside rows of pins from the tires. It helped a little bit (I think), but still a barrel rolling machine. I'm going to remove another row of pins and I'll try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterfordMan View Post
    Overall I'm still working on the shocks and tire package. I'm not happy with how much the cars roll now nor how high they sit. If anyone has any other tire or wheel suggestions I'm all ears.

I'll keep testing and let you guys know what I find. I'm even thinking about a sway bar system, but that's a bit further in the future. I'm hoping to get some pictures and video in the near future to prove how well it's working.
    Are you planning on running on a clay track? If so, you don't need any knobby tires. You could use 1/10 on road tires and those might help the problem.
    "WHEN IN DOUBT, AIR IT OUT!!" - Kevin Talbot

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    Are you planning on running on a clay track? If so, you don't need any knobby tires. You could use 1/10 on road tires and those might help the problem.
    Right now I'm running on a turf track (Larry's RC, Sterling Heights, MI). I wouldn't mind trying a clay track in the future and I think you'd be right on the 1/10 road tires.

I know guys are running 1/10 carpet foams on 1/14th scale cars with good success, but as I've been told the foams won't last or work really well on turf.

RC Enthusiast

Next Track Session Preparation

As best as I can tell my next trip to the track will be the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. To be prepared for this I did a little more modification to the SST. First and foremost it got a paint job. As you can tell from the last pic above the body was trashed. A young kid just smashed it with a Rustler VXL at the end of the straight-a-way last time out. I picked up a Prerunner body and painted it red. My son and I are doing a Mario and Luigi theme for our cars, so next I need a couple of stickers and a clear body for the Teton and we'll have the complete team.

Next I removed a couple more rows of pins from the front tires. I found a 4x4 carpet slash that had a lot of pins removed from the front tires for carpet racing. He may have had only 5 or 6 rows of pins left on the fronts. I may get there eventually, but I'll take it a row at a time.

Finally, more shock attention. I didn't like how tall the truck was sitting so I put in two down travel limiters from my Rustler shocks. These are nearly a perfect fit for the ID of the stock shock body. I will take a measurement of how tall they are, but I'd guess around 3mm. This worked pretty successfully because now the trucks arms are level after about a 6" drop height.

Here you can see the level control arms. I'm hoping this stance will really help with barrel rolling.

Next two are tire mods. Hopefully this helps as well. I use finger nail clippers to snip off each little knob.

RC Enthusiast

Practice Report

Went to Larry's yesterday and test drove the SST with more rows of pins removed from the front tires. While it was a little less barrel rolley it still wasn't great. I was just about ready to never bring the little cars to the track, but I decided to give it one more go. I was super patient with the corners and took the "Kyle Larson" line (think rim riding on an oval). The truck actually did okay. I made a good 7-8 lap run where I didn't have to marshal the truck. Unfortunately, my 2 of my 3 NIMH batteries seem to be dead so I didn't get to run it past one battery. I did pick up two 2S 1500mAh lipos though for under $15 each! (Larry's own brand).

I have some new developments that look promising. I'll be ditching the Losi Mini 8 wheels and tires soon.

RC Enthusiast

X-Ray M18T Pin tires

So in my search for some different tires for the SST and Teton I discovered the X-Ray M18T has a good looking set of pin tires. I couldn't find goo information their size, so I just ordered a set of wheels and tires from A-main hobbies. Well I'm quite excited with what I found.

The tires are about as wide as the stock SST's but are shorter in diameter. This will help lower the truck further and hopefully give me a higher resistance to traction rolling. The main problem comes from the wheels. Xray uses an interesting "flat shaft" drive type and not a hex drive.

This can be solved by designing a new wheel. I made some measurements, modeled up a prototype, and ordered some 3D printed wheels made of durable nylon. They should be here next week, I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Here's some pics for comparison.

Here's some pics of the wheel. You can see the interesting Xray drive system. Additionally, the wheels are very close to the knuckles but should clear. On my prototypes I set the wheel offset to bring the rim in slightly more. I should have about 2 mm clearance to the pivot bolt on the knuckle.

Here they are just "placed" on the car. I'll get more pics once the prototype hex wheels arrive.

A mod that I did on my SST was hex hub extenders. I would show pictures, but I no longer have them anymore. Basically what you do is you buy 2 sets of latrax hex hubs, and you epoxy them all together, then you can cut a slot in them and put a thin piece of brass to stiffen up everything up. You will also need longer screws by the way. If you are skeptical about the durability of them, I did some testing. I took it to the skatepark and aired it out, stuck um on 3s lipo (mine did a standing backflip when I tried) and they survived it all without looking any worse for wear. This could potentially help your barrel rolling problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks GreenSpider25.

Were you able to still tuck the tires under that stock body? I'm trying to keep them tucked.

RC Enthusiast

Prototypes designed, printed, and delivered

Status update.......

I was quite excited to receive some new tires that should be a vast improvement over everything I've experimented with so far. I settled on the X-Ray M18T pin tires and as you can see above, they're smaller, have a softer compound, but don't have a wheel that will work with our 12mm hex drives. So I decided to design my own.

I fired up my CAD software, grabbed a pair of calipers, and designed my own wheel. I had them 3D printed and earlier this week they were delivered to my home. Overall, they're a good quality print made with high quality nylon with chipped carbon fiber. The design may look like a "solid" wheel, but it's actually not too different in weight from the X-ray wheel. The internal structure of the wheel is a honeycomb pattern throughout that give a really good strength to weight ratio. I may put these designs on Shapeways in the near future along with other little products I have ideas for.

Either way I got the tires mounted and I'm very please with this first set of prototypes. Here are some images of the wheels. The "rough" finish on the inside of the wheel is where the support material has to be removed. Hex fits nice and tight.

RC Enthusiast

Prototypes mounted

Next getting them on the car and testing the fit.

I went a little bit conservative on the wheel offset and unfortunately they stick out a little further than I'd like. I trimmed the fenders slightly, but still have a little bit of tire rub at full compression. I may adjust this by a couple millimeters and get the tire to fully tuck in the fender.

Now overall, I'm happy. The truck sits much lower, the tires feel very grippy, and it just has a cool look to it. It "looks" like it's ready to race. I did a quick test in the driveway and it wouldn't traction roll at all. With the Mini 8 buggy tires it just didn't matter how cold or slick the pavement was, the truck would barrel roll. Now I can't make it do it. Need to see how it runs on the carpet in the coming weeks.

Here's some more shots on the truck.

Low and mean looking!

Side shot shows a little bit of the trimming but still illustrates the low ride height. I have the shocks on the furthest in tower position, furthest out arm position, and a 3mm down travel limiter. You could easily run these wheels and tires, but at a higher ride height as well.

These next pics show a little bit of the fender rub. It's not much, but still it's there. You can see in the third picture that I can bring the wheel in a couple more millimeters which will probably be enough to just tuck the wheels under the fender at full compression.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterfordMan View Post
    Thanks GreenSpider25.

Were you able to still tuck the tires under that stock body? I'm trying to keep them tucked.
    I never tried mine with the stock body. I had a Dromida MT4.18 body on mine because I converted it to a monster truck. I was thinking you would use them on your teton, but I'm pretty sure it would be worth the try to try them on your prerunner.

RC poster
    Looking good! I have some info to add as well when I get the chance to finish sum new tire/wheel combos

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I have a good report from my last practice run. The new 3D printed wheels worked fantastic and the X-ray M18T tires were awesome! Corned very flat and had tons of forward bite. I was able to run right with a lot of the 1/10 scale trucks.

I need to order some aluminum steering arms because I just keep breaking the stock ones! I did find a good combination for adjustable steering links though!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Well I have some big news! I designed and started making my own parts. I bought a 3D printer that prints in carbon fiber reinforced nylon and I've been printing like crazy!

My newest parts are control arms for the Prerunner and Teton. Solid fill and much stronger than the stock arms. I even added 2 degrees of toe in on the rear arms for added stability (it makes a huge difference!).

Check it out! Also pictured are some Latrax to Dromida adapters.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wow! It seems to be coming together much more since the last time I looked at this build thread! Just out of curiosity, how much did the all the supplies with the 3d printer cost?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    Wow! It seems to be coming together much more since the last time I looked at this build thread! Just out of curiosity, how much did the all the supplies with the 3d printer cost?
    I went a little over board and bought a industrial based printer. I spent nearly $4k on everything. It's an investment for my start up business.

RC Enthusiast
    Here's the next project. New diff covers. Hopefully to stop breaking the ball studs off.

Those things look bulletproof!

RC Racer
    Great thread and truck and I still don't have a tire solution. I made a backyard track that I keep very maintained and the stock tires get decent grip. I figured if the tires where any taller and softer traction rolling would be an issue.
    A front sway and making a battery tray extension out of thin plywood so I could add front bias to the truck fixed the tractionrolling issue with my 2wd Slash.
    Last edited by Bashnslash; 05-22-2019 at 05:23 AM.