RC Enthusiast

destroyed the central gears

today I destroyed the transmission gears (those which are close to the central diffferential) I thought the weakest elements would have been the plastic gear (the one close to the motor pinion).

any idea on how to prevent this to happen again?

Inviato dal mio SM-G960F utilizzando Tapatalk

Holy broken gears batman! I think you are the very first to shred a transmission in one of these. Your theory of the plastic spur being the weak point is spot on, which leads me to believe there is an issue somewhere. Inspect your housing, when my chassis broke it cracked the transmission housing, which could be creating some flex. That's kinda all I got right now, let me ponder on it some more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Did you mess with your gear mesh recently or possibly a hard enough crash or landing that your motor mount loosened up? I'm wondering what happened first, that stripped spur, or the stripped tranny gear, kinda like the chicken or the egg. I know if a spur locks up it's not good. The only time it happened to me I ended up with a stripped hardened spur and pinion and a broken motor shaft. Could of been worse, well more expensive atleast.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    So I double checked everything and have no evidence of what could have caused it. My theory is that the huge jumps I kept making recently made the chassis bend at each landing (which is expected to do). The chassis bending must have compressed the gears one against each other generating some pressure. The little corner in the pinion you see at the center of the photo must have popped out and eventually ended up within the teeth causing the carnage. This is the only explanation I have to the fact that no plastic part got broken first.

RC Competitor
    WOOOOOOW!!!!!! That's insane!!! Those are some heavy duty thick gears. Really surprised to see that.

RC poster
    You aren't alone

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Holy.....cow! That is crazy! I've been around RC for a good while and never have seen transmissions destroyed like that.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you guys find balls from the bearings loose in there? In my case the center idler gear bearings were shot, and they spilled their balls, leading to mayhem and other gear breakage. Not at the same time, but maybe a month earlier I had a stock motor seize up on my while driving wide open at 50 Mph. It put the truck into 1000 cartwheels, destroyed the spur gear and wrecked a differential... And I wonder if it maybe did a little damage to the tranny bearings that showed up later.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Did you guys find balls from the bearings loose in there? In my case the center idler gear bearings were shot, and they spilled their balls, leading to mayhem and other gear breakage. Not at the same time, but maybe a month earlier I had a stock motor seize up on my while driving wide open at 50 Mph. It put the truck into 1000 cartwheels, destroyed the spur gear and wrecked a differential... And I wonder if it maybe did a little damage to the tranny bearings that showed up later.
    The bearings looked fine in my transmission. But then again the gears seemed fine until they exploded. So now I have something else to look out for now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk