RC Competitor

Revo 3.3 Break In Problem

Hey guys i tried breaking in my revo 3.3 today and on the 3rd tank about half way through as i was slowly accelerating up to 1/2 throttle the engine just stopped i mean like died instantly, i tried to re-start it but it would not start. I took the back plate off to see if the connecting rod broke and it was just fine, temps were fine through break in, outside temp was about 69-70, i was doing everything by the book and now it just seems when i try to start the engine it is really noisy like a slapping sound, does anyone have any ideas what it could be? i'm going to try and talk to traxxas about getting a new motor sent out but i would like to diagnose this issue first.

RC Competitor
    When you had back plate off did you notice the piston move up/down with crankshaft? You can also check by pulling exhaust off and looking into exhaust port. Everything looks ok, I would check glow plug.

Clutch. ?
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Ya everything is moving like it should i tried a new glow plug the day this happened and it still will not fire, but something does not sound right when the engine is rolling over it sounds like a slapping noise its very odd.

RC Competitor
    sent the engine in but when i talked to traxxas support they didn't give me great hope in helping me much so hopefully they will because i do not want to be out 150 bucks for an engine.

RC Competitor
    Alright well traxxas took care of me and replaced the one way bearing, starter shaft, glow plug, and the back plate so we will see if it fixes it. I haven't tried to start it yet due to cold weather but the important thing is they took care of me and i really appreciated it.

RC Competitor
    That's great news. I've always had good luck with their customer service! Did they tell you what happened?
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

RC Competitor
    I think i went in with low expectations because of the person i talked to on the phone to set up the RMA he might have been having a bad day. They didn't say what happened they just said this fixed it they started and ran it to make sure but i still can't wrap my head around this being the issue but i must say the motor sounds better when i roll it over with the starter it does not have that slapping sound anymore.