RC Enthusiast

Best wing mount for a Rustler buggy conversion?

Hey ya'll, I've been itching to convert my Rustler VXL to a buggy look. I've seen various wing mount options, from Losi to HPI Hellfire but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. It also seems like a lot of the parts people have posted have been discontinued on a lot of Hobby websites.

So what do you guys recommend? I'd love it if there's a part somewhere that's as simple as put the screws in and you're done, but if I need to do some alterations that's cool too. I'm not familiar with a lot of different parts from different companies, so if anyone knows the specific part name or number, or even just a link to the part, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

I've used a few different wing mounts including a Hyper 7 and the Revo wing mount. They both needed some modification to make it work. Hard crashes were bad for the screws that hold the wing mount to the tower. I see why most of the stock wing mounts have an attachment bar that passes through the shock tower and mounts to the chassis or bulkhead. Still though, they held up fairly well and only needed some new screws every now and then.

Here's a link to the hyper 7:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OFNA-HY...1c96:rk:4:pf:0

The revo mount needed some grinding done to the tower itself, but the mount does allow for some angle change of the wing:

If you want to go really lightweight, this is my favorite but is the least durable. It uses whatever wing you like as well as the bandit wing wire and wing mounting nuts:

Here's the hyper 7, you have to grind off the extension arms from the mount:

ignore the body mount posts

I know there are many other ways of doing it and there may be a more direct bolt it on method...let us know if you figure out a good method!
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome Synnergy, that is great help. Slick Rustler! Is that the Arrma Typhon body on it in the last pic? Thanks for the help!

Thank you! That IS a typhon body...it almost fit well, jus that open area towards the rear. Here's another pic of my frankenbandit, thanks for the compliment!

By the way, did you figure out a wing mount yet?
    MTFBWY

RC Racer
    The "Bandler"? The Rustit"? What do you call this thing Synnergy?
    I like it a lot!

LOL, haha. Yeah, this rig is one of my favorites. When I was about 10 y/o I received a Tyco Turbo-Hopper which created in me a strong Buggy luuuuv. The name (although I really like the name Bandler,) started as the Rusty Bandit and then I changed it to Rad Racer to kick up some 1980s dust and memory.

BTW Darkerinsticts, here are a few closer pics of the revo wing I came across recently:

The rpm tower needed a bit of grinding to get the mount's arm-hole to line up with the shock tower hole. The problem with this design and the hyper 7 is that these wings mount to the top of the shock tower. They really need a mount that has some other connection. I've seen some use some turnbuckles attached to the tranny case but nothing that seems perfect. I like how the wing itself offers some protection like a bumper...but having the mount so high on the tower puts the weight as high as possible as well higher damage forces on the tower.

For lightweight design...this is my favorite, perhaps not the most durable although the rear carbon tower broke before this wing. It HAS taken some really bad crashes.

Last edited by Synnergy; 11-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    MTFBWY