RC Racer

Upgraded my Defender to brushless

I finally took the plunge and got a Castle Mamba X w/ a 2850kv sensored brushless motor (2280kv was on backorder).

Setting it up was pretty standard for a brushless upgrade, but it took some time for me to solder together a y-harness for the AUX cable to work (if anyone has any tips on how to easily solder one, I'd love to know for the next time!).

I also picked up a field programmer and bluetooth module (not yet Android ready).

Took it out on its maiden voyage yesterday and wow and I impressed. It's super quiet, has really great low-speed control, can go faster than stock, and allows for some pretty awesome ESC-based control.

Battery run times were phenomenal (my son went through nearly 3, 5000mah packs while I still had plenty of juice left in the second one) and I was running NiMH!

The bluetooth link is pretty handy and it allowed me to make some fine adjustments on the fly - although, last night something went wrong and I had to basically reset the ESC to stock because it seems something became corrupt when i was updating the settings via bluetooth (after already doing it like a dozen times).

One trouble I did have was fitting all of the extra cables into the tiny receiver box - I may need to get a bigger box meant for another truck for this to work out better.

Congrats on the upgrade. I am running the 1900kv motor and really like it, lots of low end grunt and plenty of speed to send the wheels skyward if I turn suddenly.

If you haven't already, recommend putting dielectric grease on the sensor connectors, this keep the water out.

I ran most of the cabling out of the RX box and zip-tied it neatly to the frame.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    If you haven't already, recommend putting dielectric grease on the sensor connectors, this keep the water out.

I ran most of the cabling out of the RX box and zip-tied it neatly to the frame.
    Great suggestion about the grease.

I've got a few cables outside of the receiver box (it allows me to quickly disconnect the bluetooth module for a direct PC/field link connection), but it's definitely not neat! LOL

RC Racer
    Is the 1900kv motor faster than stock? Or about the same? I run 2S batteries as like using 2S since it’s what I have already but if I upgrade I’d like it to go a little faster top speed. Should I get a higher over motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    Is the 1900kv motor faster than stock? Or about the same?
    With my running a stock Tactical and me with the 2850kv brushless, mine goes faster in a drag race but it doesn't blow his truck away. I'd think that 2280kv would be similar to stock and 1900kv would be slower. But you may be able to gear it differently and get it running faster if you want.

I went with a larger pinion, so it is quite a bit faster.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired