RC poster

4-Tec 2.0 Rally build

Hi there!

My name is Sven and i'm from the Netherlands. I'm a big fan of rally (1:1 scale) and RC cars is one of my hobbies, so why not build myself some rallycars?

The reason i chose the 4-tec is because it has some great features to be a rally car. Its sturdy, sealed diff's (and very strong!), shaft driven, a raised front bumper mount (very big plus+) and Traxxas has great part support in my area.
    I also own the Tamiya XV-01 Long Damper, one of the best 1/10 rally chassis according to a lot of people. Well its a nice chassis and handles great on scale stuff, but for some reason i dont like it that much. Cleaning and maintenance is a lot of work, the Tamiya plastics are brittle, the don't bend but break instead. On top of that the whole chassis doesn't feel solid. I already broke some parts and i wasn't even bashing that hard..

I want an RC car that is a lot of fun to drive and in my case that involves a lot of bashing around. It's a rally car, i has to witstand some beating!

Okay, the build!
    The first thing that this car needs is more ride height. To achieve this you need to cut away the squares where the suspension arms rest on the chassis, on the front you also need to grind away some of the arms so that the c-hub has more room.

The front arm after grinding some material away.

Stock vs modded

It needed some longer shocks for more suspension travel

I choose to install the Traxxas sway bars, unfortunately they hit the drivecups when you have more ride height because of the arms being much lower. A quick fix, just some bending so the sway bars stay clear from the drive cups.

Stock vs modded

Now the sway bar stays clear from the drive cups.

To be continued!
    Last edited by SvenSM3; 11-08-2018 at 05:04 AM.
    Traxxas 4-tec 2.0 'rally build'

RC poster
    For the electronics i went with the HPI 4000kv set from the WR8, basically a Castle Sidewinder 4000kv kit (it's made by Castle for HPI)

Plenty of power and speed!

I also ordered the GPM rods for the chassis so everything becomes adjustable and bought a lot of wheels and tires for testing. Because i like to bash around (and i live in a city so not much offroading around here) i'm doing more of a gymkhana style driving.

The rideheight is the same as the XV-01 chassis.

The suspension travel is awesome, the chassis bottoms out before the suspension does. This is good for jumping with the car and not landing completely flat, the suspension will soak up more.

And the chassis now:

Almost forgot! A part of the chassis needed to be cut away to allow room for the steering.

As you can see the chassis allready took some beating from bashing around. Here you can see the raised front bumper which is perfect for bashing/offroading/jumping. It gives you a better approach angle
    Last edited by SvenSM3; 11-08-2018 at 04:58 AM.

RC poster
    Reserved for further build post

RC poster
    Reserved for further build posts

RC poster
    Some pictures of the 4-tec and the xv-01 together

[img]https://myalbum.com/photo/m***KiZhbxPp/540.jpg[/img]