Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If your cross pins aren't flush to the outside barrel on both sides you should call up Traxxas.

Call up Traxxas and tell them what exactly? All they would do is send me the pins I have pictured in post #79 and chalk it up to a fluke that probably only happens once every 300,000 production runs.

As I mentioned, I already fixed the issue and see no need to start a squabble over something that can be fixed faster than they could ship replacement pins.

I have learned over the years with Traxxas products, you have to know when to bite your tongue and when to complain reasonably about something.

Trying to prove to them that I had the wrong size pins (11.71mm) in every new CV shaft I received is pointless because, as I mentioned, it probably only happens once every 300,000 production runs and is something that just happens in normal production routines in all manufacturers that possibly overlook calibrating their equipment as often as they should.

Was I mad about it? Sure, but it wasn't something that I couldn't fix not to mention fix better too.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-04-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Correction
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

I understand what you're saying. I myself, would call or put the short pins in a small plastic bag with a nice letter (I wouldn't squabble) explaining what happened, and ask for a new set. If it worked out fine. If not, that would be fine too. That's just me though.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

A failure in one of the ceramic bearings.

My Ceramic bearing logging came to an end finally on August 15th about twelve minutes into the run. I was hoping to make it one year at least with the ceramic bearings; but it fell just 16 days shy of a year. I religiously re-greased those bearings every three months and still did not get what I thought was a good length of time from higher end bearings.

The September 2018 log does not show that I packed all the new bearings with my grease at the beginning and end of that installation month; however that is self explanatory considering my maintenance schedule of re-greasing bearings. On brand new bearings, I always re-grease at the end of the same month to keep the four times a year regular maintenance schedule.

I expect a chain reaction of other bearing failures, considering I replace all bearings at the same time. I will replace all bearings with Traxxas bearings next and begin a new log for comparison of how well they hold up to the same variables; which is maintenance every three months on them as well.

Below is a schematic where I highlighted with an arrow which Ceramic bearing failed and also a recap of the logs in their entirety which will take two posts:

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-28-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added information.

Continued from post #83

RC Qualifier
    Amazing job, I love your record keeping. That bearing is the one ReglarGuy swaps out with the brass bushing and I have only had one diff failure (ring gear only 2 teeth missing) with his mod because I didn't do my regular maintenance and the one in front let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post

I changed both those pinion gear bearings with Oil-Lite bushings, and I only have to do diff maintenance once a year at the end of my 9 month season. I now have almost two seasons on them, and they are just now starting to show wear. I'll probably have to change them next year, though, but I can live with that being I haven't had to do any unscheduled diff repairs.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-29-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Here you go Flex:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...bearing-58549/

You can go here or eBay and search out 9415549 or RC 1260. I did it though eBay. Also, they come from England, so it takes a little while to get them.

Here you go Flex:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...bearing-58549/

You can go here or eBay and search out 9415549 or RC 1260. I did it though eBay. Also, they come from England, so it takes a little while to get them.

Thank you!

That is the one I was looking at and I'm wondering how you knew that bushing would fit? There are no specs listed nor description and I don't see how you knew that would fit.

Is it a true 6x12x4mm bushing?

And who you calling Flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Amazing job, I love your record keeping. That bearing is the one ReglarGuy swaps out with the brass bushing and I have only had one diff failure (ring gear only 2 teeth missing) with his mod because I didn't do my regular maintenance and the one in front let go.

Sorry; I saw your post and wanted to respond earlier. Thanks for the acknowledgement of the record keeping. It was a lengthy process that was made easier by the stopwatch on my iPhone. The idea was to accurately as possible keep a journal of run times to reflect stress tests on certain components of the build.

The question then becomes "Would the same thing happen to the same exact bearing again if I used all Ceramic bearings again?"

More than likely not; but I am however guessing that they would last longer than your average stainless steel ball bearings or they should at least out perform the stainless steel ball bearing in general. I've never had the same bearing fail twice when all new bearings were installed. One time it would be a wheel bearing and another time it would be a transmission bearing or a steering bearing.

Did I get the amount of enjoyment from them compared to what I paid for them?

Yes and no.

Yes as far as performance upgrade, and No as far as longevity. They are suppose to last three times longer than your average stainless steel ball bearing, and I don't feel that they did; especially with the strict maintenance schedule applied to the care and re-greasing of them that I did to preserve them.

Somehow I am left wondering if I used the SIN oil that they recommend instead of grease, maybe they would have lasted longer - I just don't know, and it would take years of extensive testing to find out. I am not sure if I am that bored to find out, as I just want to enjoy the hobby more than stress testing parts.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-29-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixed something.

The question then becomes "Would the same thing happen to the same exact bearing again if I used all Ceramic bearings again?"
    The answer to your question is yes. The failure doesn't occur due to the type of bearing used, but due to the size of bearing being used. I found this was happening, because the bearing is to small for the amount of force being applied to it from the pinion and ring gear. We all know that a ball bearing has multiple parts to it, and being so, it by nature will eventually fail.

Couple that with to much stress on it, and a ball bearing will fail even faster by breaking apart. Thus, using a bushing rather than a bearing. It too will eventually fail, but due to it being a one piece part, it will eventually fail by getting sloppier rather than breaking apart. The advantage here is, when a bushing fails it's not all at once or catastrophic. It's a gradual reduction in its' performance which gives a person the time to plan a convenient time for its' removal and replacement.

Somehow I am left wondering if I used the SIN oil that they recommend instead of grease, maybe they would have lasted longer - I just don't know, and it would take years of extensive testing to find out. I am not sure if I am that bored to find out, as I just want to enjoy the hobby more than stress testing parts.
    There's no need to stress, because others have done the research for us. It's an accepted fact (referencing all my RC magazines) that using oil (any oil) will let a bearing run faster, but it lubricating benefits will wear off faster than grease. If the oil is not replaced, then the result will be premature wear and failure. Grease (on the other hand) will last longer, but will make the bearing run slower.

That's why racers use oil, and bashers use grease. Even at that, grease too needs to be applied (on a regular basis) to keep bearings running properly. Oil-Lite bushings, however, have grease imbedded in them, so all you need to do is run them until they wear out, and then change them. The disadvantage here is, though, an Oil-Lite bushings runs slower than a bearing packed with grease, or bearing lubricated with oil. However, if you're a basher (like me), you don't really care.

That is the one I was looking at and I'm wondering how you knew that bushing would fit? There are no specs listed nor description and I don't see how you knew that would fit. Is it a true 6x12x4mm bushing?
    It was for me. I didn't find it, though. A guy from England turned me on to it. Apparently, you cant get them in the United States, but you can get them in England. So, I took a shot, and it just happened to work out, but it did take a month for me to get them. A lot easier than making them, but I know how to if I ever have to.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-30-2019 at 03:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I found these so when I run out of the ones I made from ReglarGuy's mod I'm going to order some, but that could be awile.

American Sleeze Bearing, made in the good old U.S.A. PART # ZM 406-12 When I had called them if I remeber correctly you need a minimum of a 15 pc order, worth checking out at a $1.38 pc.

http://asbbearingsonline.com/index.p...&cPath=121_123

I found these so when I run out of the ones I made from ReglarGuy's mod I'm going to order some, but that could be awile.

American Sleeze Bearing, made in the good old U.S.A. PART # ZM 406-12 When I had called them if I remeber correctly you need a minimum of a 15 pc order, worth checking out at a $1.38 pc.

I'm putting that bad boy in my "Favorites." Thanks Dawn!

Wait a minute here!

If you look more closely at your part number, you will see there is a problem. Our bearings don't have a length of 12mm; but instead, a width of 4mm.

Our bearings are measured by inner diameter by outer diameter by width. Thus 6x12x4mm in our bearings is not 4x6x12 in those bushings.

The measurements are all wrong in the part number you gave:

It looks like part # ZM 612-04 would do the trick though!

Thanks for the link, I never even seen that site before in all my ventures on the net!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-30-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Found correct part #

RC Qualifier
    Good catch and my bad,no excuses I gapped out this morning lol. The ones you found are actually $1.21 so .17 cents cheaper lol.
    Found this site on a rainy day sitting at the computer just scouring for alternatives to making them and put it in my favorites a while back and never thought about it again until you posted the failed bearing.

Thank you for the correction.

Good catch and my bad,no excuses I gapped out this morning lol. The ones you found are actually $1.21 so .17 cents cheaper lol.
    Found this site on a rainy day sitting at the computer just scouring for alternatives to making them and put it in my favorites a while back and never thought about it again until you posted the failed bearing.

Thank you for the correction.
    No Worries!

And Thank You again for the link!

Couple that with to much stress on it, and a ball bearing will fail even faster by breaking apart. Thus, using a bushing rather than a bearing. It too will eventually fail, but due to it being a one piece part, it will eventually fail by getting sloppier rather than breaking apart. The advantage here is, when a bushing fails it's not all at once or catastrophic. It's a gradual reduction in its' performance which gives a person the time to plan a convenient time for its' removal and replacement.

I think the most important part about using the bushing instead of a bearing is the fact that when the bearing blows apart, the little ball bearings won't get interlaced with the ring gear and pinion which would cause further extensive damage.

The Ceramic bearing that blew apart on me, was the one closest to the pinion and ring gear and I can't believe none of those ceramic nitride balls got interlaced with the inter-meshing of the ring and pinion gears.

Yes there is a little lip sleeve on the differential halves to hold the bearings in place; however, the seal was bent all out of shape on mine and the balls almost made it all the way into the big area where the serious meshing is going on.

I think the most important part about using the bushing instead of a bearing is the fact that when the bearing blows apart, the little ball bearings won't get interlaced with the ring gear and pinion which would cause further extensive damage.
    When my pinion bearings failed it would cause havoc in my diff in two different ways. It would either (as you said) interlace bearings in my ring gear causing it to slip and wear down my ring gear's teeth, or it would cause a misalignment of my pinion and ring gear causing it to strip my ring gear's teeth. Plus (I almost forgot), when my bearing or bearings blew I'd almost always have to change my diff housing, because the bearings would either get embedded in the plastic or the misaligned ring gear would take a chunk out of my diff's housing plastic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123