RC Competitor

Recommend a blazing fast motor for my 4x4

I just picked up a brand new brushed Rustler 4x4. I bought the brushed version because I wanted to use one of my esc's and choose a motor that would be faster than the Velineon.

The Velineon is 3500kv and 10.5 turns? What motor KV would you recommend for general fast bashing? Should I stick with a 550 can like the Titan, or a 540 can like the Velineon? I expect to be running 2S and 3S only.

I will need to upgrade the plastic center driveshaft, but I will wait until it breaks.

Since you already have an ESC, that should be a huge factor in what motor you choose. What can your ESC handle? If you want to still be able to run 2S, then you need to stick with a higher KV motor, which are usually smaller 540 can motors. If you are okay with using 3S almost exclusively then you can get a lot more out of a larger, lower KV motor. Again, only if your ESC can handle it.

RC poster
    GotNoRice has a good point about your ESC. I don't have my rustler yet but seams like the castle 2400kv is a favorite. Here is a great thread right below yours about the 2400kv set up,

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Motor-runs-hot

It's definitely whats going in my 4x4 Rustler!! Sadly I don't see me getting my Rustler until after the Holidays

RC Champion
    If you want a higher KV motor the CC 3800kv one is a good one. Just donít gear it too high and watch the temps.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys. I'm guessing the 550 can will have more torque, but a smaller 540 can with a higher kv will have more top speed?

I'm going to be using an Arrma 6S esc, but plan on running 3S most of the time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyvale_R/C View Post
    GotNoRice has a good point about your ESC. I don't have my rustler yet but seams like the castle 2400kv is a favorite. Here is a great thread right below yours about the 2400kv set up,

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Motor-runs-hot

It's definitely whats going in my 4x4 Rustler!! Sadly I don't see me getting my Rustler until after the Holidays
    I love your screen name. I assume it's a TPB reference?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteBuffalo View Post
    I love your screen name. I assume it's a TPB reference?
    yea TBP!! From what I have read and you say you plan on running 3s the 2400kv is a great choice. Iím sure someone with better experience will chime in soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the 550 can will have more torque, but a smaller 540 can with a higher kv will have more top speed?
    No, not at all. Your motor KV is just one factor. Your input voltage (battery) and gearing also come into play. A lower KV motor will have every bit as much top speed (if not more) as a higher KV motor if you gear up and/or run at a higher voltage.

For example:
    Smaller 3800kv motor using 11/54 (stock Rustler 4x4 VXL gearing) vs. Larger 2400kv motor using 18/54 gearing. The result would be a very similar speed when using the same battery, but the ESC would try to pull more amps from that same battery when using the 2400kv motor (possibly more than your 2S packs can handle). You could also put a higher voltage battery (3S or 4S) with the 2400kv motor for a higher overall top speed than the 3800kv motor is likely capable of without burning up (even with the 3800kv being geared lower).

If you were dead set on sticking with 2S (possibly due to rules for racing, etc), then your only route for higher top speed would be a smaller, higher KV motor.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 11-11-2018 at 03:40 PM.

I’m happy with the lower kv motor I went with (2400) like rice said it’s what your esc can handle

RC Competitor
    I do want the ability to run 2S or 3S at times, so maybe I should think about a fast 540 can motor. I would like something that is faster than a stock Velineon. Should I be looking in the 4700kv range?

RC Qualifier
    I do want the ability to run 2S or 3S at times, so maybe I should think about a fast 540 can motor. I would like something that is faster than a stock Velineon. Should I be looking in the 4700kv range?
    If you want to run a 4700 you’d be wasting the potential of your esc. The velineon geared up would be a better alternative than that. I vote castle 2400. Although it’s not as fast, gear it up a bit, it’ll be faster and run cooler. And you can run from 2-5s lipo.

I would like something that is faster than a stock Velineon. Should I be looking in the 4700kv range?
    You are talking about a 3656 size motor or similar? Generally smaller motors are not "faster" than bigger motors. Don't focus on KV. It is just one factor, along with your gearing and voltage, the end result of which is what determines your max speed. Higher KV allows for lower voltage and/or lower gearing but again, it in no way means the motor is "faster". Bigger motors are faster, for obvious reasons.

You can still run a bigger motor in the 2400kv range on 2S. If you gear up, it will be the exact same speed as a lower-geared higher-KV motor is on 2S. As long as your 2S packs can supply the increased amperage that the larger motor will draw in that situation, then it's no problem. If your 2S batteries can't, then they will puff. 3S will always be faster than 2S if all other factors are the same. You will have to choose your target voltage when you determine your gearing. Either you gear for 2S with 3S as overkill, or you gear for 3S with 2S being slow (with maybe some 4S potential in the future). One thing to keep in mind is that you can always take two of your 2S packs, run them in series to make a 4S pack.

RC Champion
    The only other motor I might recommend is the 3800kv CC motor. Ran one on my slash 4x4 on 2s mostly and it was plenty fast with the right gearing. Even stock 18/54 if most serves me correctly is pretty fast with this motor. It turns 300 more rpm then the stock motor and with a fully charged lipo that would be about 2,520 more rpm then the stock 3500kv motor. Just some food for thought. And yes it will handle 3s with the right gearing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anyone thought of offering up a non Castle solution. I run a leopard Iím my X-Maxx, a Poseidon in my Rustler, and GoolRC in my P4de. All these have proven to be great motors. I also donít see how running a higher KV motor in a 4x4 is a good idea in the long run. I say ditch the stock ESC, and do some experimenting on your own. Get something around the 120amp variety, so youíre not tied to a low cell count.

RC Qualifier

Castle motor or dynamite system

I just picked up a brand new brushed Rustler 4x4. I bought the brushed version because I wanted to use one of my esc's and choose a motor that would be faster than the Velineon.

The Velineon is 3500kv and 10.5 turns? What motor KV would you recommend for general fast bashing? Should I stick with a 550 can like the Titan, or a 540 can like the Velineon? I expect to be running 2S and 3S only.

I will need to upgrade the plastic center driveshaft, but I will wait until it breaks.
    Hi. My friend has a pede 4x4 brushed that he converted to brushless. He bought a dynamite tazer system. Do not quote me on this, but he says that his pede can now do wheelstanding backflips with a 8.4 volt nimh battery. So I would recommend any castle motor obviously and the dynamite motors.