RC Competitor

X-Maxx VXL-8s Fire (Pics)

Hi All,

Has anybody had their VXL-8s Explode in the warranty period and how did Traxxas standby the repair?
    I'm over in Australia and the case was dealt with very poorly in my eyes (2 month repair time)

Marty

Last edited by morch_66479; 11-11-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not from personal experience, but most seem to catch fire

RC Qualifier
    I notice you have a dust shroud, which keeps heat in. What is your gearing and what was the temperature outside? I have raced mine in the summer in 90 weather and have not had issues on the stock gearing. Back to back runs against a 6S and that one cut out due to temperature.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    Standard gearing from factory and i only drove it about 5 meters before it went up in flames so the temps would have been close to ambient (15c)

join the club.

mine was out of warranty when it let the flames out, right at the beginning of a run so it was not heat buildup. customer service did nothing.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    join the club.

mine was out of warranty when it let the flames out, right at the beginning of a run so it was not heat buildup. customer service did nothing.
    What did you do to repair it?

My truck sat in a hobby shop waiting for parts for 2 months before they fixed it and gave it back to me. Obviously this 2 month period was during some of the warranty period.
    I just don't know whether to swap out the ESC or chance the new one they installed!!

RC Qualifier
    What kind of batteries/connectors were you running when it happened? I ask because I was thinking of trying out some other brand batteries with an old school Traxxas connector on them. I do not want to have to deal with an ESC fire.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    What kind of batteries/connectors were you running when it happened? I ask because I was thinking of trying out some other brand batteries with an old school Traxxas connector on them.
    They look like the stock ones to me not sure about the batteries

RC Qualifier
    I see the ESC connectors but there could be a bullet etc. to Traxxas connector on the batteries

Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    What did you do to repair it?

My truck sat in a hobby shop waiting for parts for 2 months before they fixed it and gave it back to me. Obviously this 2 month period was during some of the warranty period.
    I just don't know whether to swap out the ESC or chance the new one they installed!!
    ouch, 2 months? that's rough.

I replaced mine with a hobbywing max6 and it runs like a champ.

If you do continue using a traxxas ESC, I recommend you have a fire extinguisher handy at all times or a garden hose or something. I'm not trying to be funny, it poses a serious risk.

Still a great truck though, easily the best big scaler. parma should repress the tmaxx fire truck in 1/5 for it though (insert fire emoji here)

Buy a new esc and sell the traxxas one on ebay in 2 mounths, people with revos and stuff have better luck with those esc.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Racer

I replaced mine with a hobbywing max6 and it runs like a champ.

If you do continue using a traxxas ESC, I recommend you have a fire extinguisher handy at all times or a garden hose or something. I'm not trying to be funny, it poses a serious risk.
    You will love the max6 ESC I have running one with the stock 1600 kV motor no problems at all I’m running a spectrum receiver they all get along great but on and off button for those is so much easier to use vs the traxxas ones

According to his location he is located in Australia. As consumers we do not know the ins-and-outs of the business agreements between USA's Traxxas and Australia's importers. There are no good answers and AU apparently is very difficult. Domestic customer service options are different than international ones and we should not assume everyone will be treated the same around the world and instantly blame the manufacturer because of a lot of unknown variables at play.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I was speaking to a guy in the UK at the weekend who had 2 X-Maxx ESC's go up in flames (both replaced under warranty).

Eventually he was offered an upgrade to a Max5 ESC (F.O.C.).

Whilst this didn't catch fire, it killed the motor, which made us suspect that the motor was at fault all along! Motor then replaced and its been fine with the Max5 since.

My advice would be to check or watch that motor moving forwards.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    According to his location he is located in Australia. As consumers we do not know the ins-and-outs of the business agreements between USA's Traxxas and Australia's importers. There are no good answers and AU apparently is very difficult. Domestic customer service options are different than international ones and we should not assume everyone will be treated the same around the world and instantly blame the manufacturer because of a lot of unknown variables at play.
    thanks but I was not blaming the manufacturer. I did notice he was in Australia (cool since I've been watching the 1/8th scale offroad Worlds that took place in Perth, Australia last week) and I just meant it was rough that 'the entire situation' caused a 2 month wait for him.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    What kind of batteries/connectors were you running when it happened? I ask because I was thinking of trying out some other brand batteries with an old school Traxxas connector on them. I do not want to have to deal with an ESC fire.
    I use the Phantom Graphene 5200mah (100-160C) batteries. I swapped out the battery connectors for the Traxxas one's.

If i use Max6 i loose all my telemetry options on the Traxxas app right?

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    It's a shame that Traxxas don't ensure that other regions they sell too are looking after their customers as best they can. I mean it just tarnishes the brand a little. Doesn't live up to what they advertise.
    I had a service roll with my previous job that dealt with machinery in other regions of the world but we made sure the distributors were looking after their end users and meeting our standards no matter where they were in the world.
    Just thinking out loud!!

2 months was a ridiculous time but this could be down to the hobby shop either. But of course they passed the blame onto the distributor.
    My thinking would be that the distributor would have stock on the shelf and just sent out replacement parts but obviously that wasn't the case.... Looks like they made the parts from scratch and then shipped them to AU and then forwarded them to hobby shop and then fitted them and then gave it back to me haha
    Last edited by Double G; 11-13-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: merge, use the edit button instead of cluttering with subsequent posts

He didn't have a ESC fire, though. He had a ESC short out on him. That happens sometimes, and a person can live with that. If he had a ESC fire like what was going on before Traxxas changed their Xmaxx's ESC's, everything would of been melted rather than smoked. His title should just say "ESC Failure".
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    He didn't have a ESC fire, though. He had a ESC short out on him. That happens sometimes, and a person can live with that. If he had a ESC fire like what was going on before Traxxas changed their Xmaxx's ESC's, everything would of been melted rather than smoked. His title should just say "ESC Failure".
    I just seen smoke rising from the vehicle.... no smoke without fire they say!!
    I also asked Traxxas at this time did they have an updated VXL-8s and they said no. Which ESC change are you referring to?

RC Racer
    If i use Max6 i loose all my telemetry options on the Traxxas app right?
    Yes I think you do but you can use a Garman GPS like the forerunner 101 I have one they are great
    Last edited by Overpowerxmaxx; 11-13-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    oh, the title led me to believe he saw actual flames. that shroud looks pretty well melted to just be a short though.

I also asked Traxxas at this time did they have an updated VXL-8s and they said no. Which ESC change are you referring to?
    he's talking about the change from the VXL-6s to the VXL-8s. The original 6s had a few documented fires, traxxas 'recall' was to change the series connector to something called a fusible link to try and prevent fires which did not work for me personally. then the firmware was updated and shortly after they released the new and improved VXL-8s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    I was speaking to a guy in the UK at the weekend who had 2 X-Maxx ESC's go up in flames (both replaced under warranty).

Eventually he was offered an upgrade to a Max5 ESC (F.O.C.).

Whilst this didn't catch fire, it killed the motor, which made us suspect that the motor was at fault all along! Motor then replaced and its been fine with the Max5 since.

My advice would be to check or watch that motor moving forwards.

HTH.
    That is a good point. I did not even think about the motors being part of the problem.

The VXL-6s that Traxxas first offered in the V1 Xmaxx would actually develop flames and melt the truck. What you had here was a ESC shorting out. It gets really hot for a few seconds with a lot of smoke, but no ingulfing flames. I have had this happened with some of my best ESC's over the years...example Castle MM1 and MM2. A reasonable ESC will either go out the way this one did or just not turn on one day. It stinks, but you can live and deal with it.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-14-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Oh, the title led me to believe he saw actual flames. That shroud looks pretty well melted to just be a short though.
    A shroud is so thin it doesn't take much heat to melt one. Shoot, a good beer fart can melt a shroud. Anyway, if that ESC would of really caught fire (like with the V1's ESC) the ESC case, chassis, chassis support, and body would of all been melted.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-14-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks for pointing out those things ReglarGuy! International service issues like this can be addressed directly with your hobby shop or you can e-mail Traxxas. Since the Traxxas connectors are not currently available it is unclear what connector was installed on your non Traxxas batteries, how well they were installed, or what part they played in the failure. There are a lot of things we don't know here other than the fact that you were taken care of even if it was not in a time frame that suited you. In any case posting it here will not help.

Rizz0d, really? You have over 1000 posts and should know better by now.

I am closing this thread.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn