RC Racer

absolutely HORRIBLE range with tqi 4 channel

Started out with your average 2.4ghz tqi. It had HORRIBLE range. Im talking i bet i could'nt drive over 100ft away and it would lose range.

So i did the trade in program and got the tqi 4 channel setup.
    STILL horrible range? i mean i have a slash 4x4 w/ 2200kv and i cant even get it up to speed because it runs out of range within 150ft of me.

Spent $100 on a radio that still sucks. what gives? I figured i would get the traxxas because the remote has built in extra switches for channels. Now i am regretting it. Why does traxxas just do the bare minimum for its electronics?

I mean lets be honest here, the servos that come in these trucks blow out. The radios are horrible ( have friends with traxxas radios that suck also). The esc and motor in the slash 4x4 can NOT get it to 65mph without it overheating within minutes. My xmaxx esc poofed into smoke. i mean come on!!!

Now im out $100 and i still need a radio so i can drive it farther than a stones throw away.

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried removing some wire from the receiver box and make the antenna stick out of the small straw more?? I know they stuff the receiver box with most of the wire. I can drive my Summit further then I can see it and still have control so something seems a bit off. JMHO. Hope you get it resolved. Also make sure no one has a garage door or other radio equipment operating at or very near your transmitters frequency. Yes you can still have issues like this even with the newer 2.4ghz radios. They must accept all interference.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Have you tried removing some wire from the receiver box and make the antenna stick out of the small straw more?? I know they stuff the receiver box with most of the wire. I can drive my Summit further then I can see it and still have control so something seems a bit off. JMHO. Hope you get it resolved. Also make sure no one has a garage door or other radio equipment operating at or very near your transmitters frequency. Yes you can still have issues like this even with the newer 2.4ghz radios. They must accept all interference.
    This is how much sticks out. And I just bend it over the tube and cap it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    30mm of unshieded is the amount you need. My TQI radio has been passed down to my basher P4de. It has never failed me and is good for 6-8 hundred feet. Not as versatile as my Futaba but just fine for a RTR vehicle. I havenít had a 2075 fail. Iíve not had a new one in years though.

I will echo the tqi range capability. All my vehicles that have it can be operated to a range where you can't see it enough to control it. Something is amiss, are there any cell towers nearby? Something is interfering with your signal. Even with my tactic ttx300 radio systems I can get at least 600 feet, two football fields, and still have control. Also, as a side note, I have two 2075 servos over two years old still going strong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Also just to make sure, does it stop operating in the same area or is it just at the range you stated in any direction. As I said, I have a neighbor that when I go by their house my radio system always acts up, even non Traxxas ones I own do. You might try pulling a little bit more wire out of the receiver box and give it a try as like others have said you should be able to go further then you can see the vehicle control wise. Hope you get it resolved!

RC Racer
    I also can drive my vehicles farther than I can see. Your installing antenna wire wrong, metal should still be in tube and small amount of clear wire out the top. Looks like part of your clear has been cut also, all mine are about an inch long. Your bashing a product based on a bad install.
    Copied from Traxxas manual:
    [IMG]antenna by grizzly03, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Hope I'm allowed to copy manual
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-15-2018 at 12:07 AM.

RC poster
    There should be much more of the clear coax inner coming out of the metal tube, yours looks broken off. It's an easy fix if you can solder, attach a 32mm piece of thin tin copper wire onto the end coming out of the metal tube and your range should be back fine. Pic attached of roughly how much coax inner should be sticking out.

RC Qualifier
    Gosh my eyesight must be going south LOL!! I can see it now but had to explode the photo to do so LOL! The above poster/s are correct 110%! That small piece of wire that is broken or has been removed is what is causing your issues with range! It doesnít take much. At 2.4ghz, your antenna is not very long and if cut will make a big difference. Even the small piece you are missing! As you have seen it really kills the range. Like said solder it back on if you can, or get a new receiver. And donít cut or pinch the end of the coax that is not shielded on the very tip above the metal barrel. That should solve your issues!!

RC Racer
    it must have gotten cut or broke with a flip. The reciever is less than 2 months old. Only been used a handful of times.

Is there a how to on repairing the antenna?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Gosh my eyesight must be going south LOL!! I can see it now but had to explode the photo to do so LOL! The above poster/s are correct 110%! That small piece of wire that is broken or has been removed is what is causing your issues with range! It doesn’t take much. At 2.4ghz, your antenna is not very long and if cut will make a big difference. Even the small piece you are missing! As you have seen it really kills the range. Like said solder it back on if you can, or get a new receiver. And don’t cut or pinch the end of the coax that is not shielded on the very tip above the metal barrel. That should solve your issues!!
    have you ever repaired the receiver? what wire do i use?

RC poster
    I've repaired my 2.4G Receiver in the past, stripped a small section of the coax inner (the stub you have left should be just enough), and solder on a piece of similar thickness tinned copper wire (TCW), I cut mine to 32mm long, once soldered on, heatshrink over the joint and the length of the TCW and your good to go.
    When you strip the stub coax make sure you leave a bit of insulation so it doesn't short against the metal tube if that makes sense.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraCJH View Post
    I've repaired my 2.4G Receiver in the past, stripped a small section of the coax inner (the stub you have left should be just enough), and solder on a piece of similar thickness tinned copper wire (TCW), I cut mine to 32mm long, once soldered on, heatshrink over the joint and the length of the TCW and your good to go.
    When you strip the stub coax make sure you leave a bit of insulation so it doesn't short against the metal tube if that makes sense.
    Why 32mm long? Is that how long mine needs to be.

RC poster
    The other thing you could do, without soldering but it will reduce the overall wire length, is to snip the end of the metal tube off where it's crimped onto the wire and slide the tube completely off, then carefully just strip the black outer wire off (35mm long) which will reveal the coax braid, fold the braid back on itself to reveal the inner wire which will be as per the standard setup (just missing the metal tube), you can then trim the braid a bit and heat shrink it back on itself leaving the inner coax sticking out.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    Why 32mm long? Is that how long mine needs to be.

For 2.4Ghz, it's just under this length and that was what other searches for broken Traxxas antenna came up with when I needed to repair mine.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...4-ghz-receiver

RC Qualifier
    I save my old recievers for just that reason. I have removed the old antennae right at the reciever and soldered the wire back on there, just be careful of the amount of heat when soldering.

RC Qualifier
    Yes they are length specific as are all antennas. They are cut to frequency using a formula. Off the top of my head itís something like 1.17 inches for a 1/4 wave antenna for 2.4ghz.

RC Racer
    I have never needed to repair. If I had to I would try soldering first,if unable then strip black wire. These antenna wires are like coax cable wire for TV, they have shielding around inner wire. I have old AM receivers that I don't use anymore and I would try using that wire to solder,extend. If the first trick doesn't work check to see if there is a kink in the black wire, it's possible inner wire could have broken. If there is I would cut black wire at the kink. Just an opinion if I had to try fixing.
    SupraCJH probably just measured another he had? Measured mine and there is 29mm showing past metal sleeve. That's how mine came from factory.
    Let us know how it works out, I never repaired 2.4ghz antenna. If it works that would be great, saves money
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.