RC Qualifier

Good bashing motor to upgrade for rustler 4x4

Hi guys. I am planning on getting a rustler 4x4 brushed around the holidays and I was wondering what a good motor would be. I do not care much about top speed, but I want the car to do lots of wheelies on command. I would probably we running on 2s or 3s. I was considering the castle 2400 kv brushless motor, but I wanted to know if there are some better options out there.

Somthing with at least an 80amp esc, a 100amp is even better if its in the budget. A high quality 60amp will work too. Cast stytems have solid reviews, ive never owned one, make sure the setup youre looking at can handle the wieght. Castle usually list the max weight you can run for 2s and 3s in the desription.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    Somthing with at least an 80amp esc, a 100amp is even better if its in the budget. A high quality 60amp will work too. Cast stytems have solid reviews, ive never owned one, make sure the setup youre looking at can handle the wieght. Castle usually list the max weight you can run for 2s and 3s in the desription.
    Hi thank you for your input. The budget would be somewhere around 100-150 dollars. I would probably run on 2s. I only own one 2s lipo battery. So I would probably get an adapter and use that.

The hobbywing max10sct is about $140 with a motor, runs good on 2s but is rated up to 4s so when you jump to 3 it still runs good. It has good reveiws, I intend on replacing my vxl with it.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    ------

RC Racer
    I just put the castle sc side winder 3800 kv in my brushed rustler with a 17 tooth pinion, fast and lots of wheelies. I did get it with the program card to. look on ebay and amazon for combos

There are several version of the sidewinder, most can only do 2s with a 4x4. Let me check a few a find a good one in the castle brand

Edit: i would not recomend the castle sidewinder sct that retails for 100-120 for 4x4 use, its more a 2wd system. Look at either the sidewinder 4 or even better the 4s sidwinder 1/8 scale.
    Last edited by IanRose; 11-16-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    ------

RC Qualifier
    would that fit?

To make a good recommendation, we would need to know what your budget is.

If that doesn't matter either Castle or Hobbywing mentioned above would work well.

If budget is an issue, I would look into GoolRC, I have not used them personally, but I hear good things from those that do.
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC Champion
    Yep I agree with above poster about the sidewinder ESC not being enough amperage for the slash 4x4. Had one and it went poof up in smoke. They just arenít amperage for the heavier 4x4 vehicles. The brand new Mamba X SCT pro ESC teamed up with either the 2400kv or the 3800kv motor would be a really good choice. Yes they are more expensive then the off brand ones but you are getting some top quality stuff from a very reputable company. I can say that I have had my old MMM for close to if not over 10yrs and it is still running strong. Donít know how many other producers of ESC/motors can say that about their products. JMHOís.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Yep I agree with above poster about the sidewinder ESC not being enough amperage for the slash 4x4. Had one and it went poof up in smoke. They just arenít amperage for the heavier 4x4 vehicles. The brand new Mamba X SCT pro ESC teamed up with either the 2400kv or the 3800kv motor would be a really good choice. Yes they are more expensive then the off brand ones but you are getting some top quality stuff from a very reputable company. I can say that I have had my old MMM for close to if not over 10yrs and it is still running strong. Donít know how many other producers of ESC/motors can say that about their products. JMHOís.
    Saying "sidewinder ESC" is like saying "mamba ESC"; you need to be more specific. The Sidewinder 3 can struggle on heavier vehicles, the Sidewinder 4 does a bit better, but the Sidewinder 8th is a straight-up 8th scale system. The Sidewinder 8th combo with the 2200kv 1515b motor has both a more powerful ESC and a more powerful motor than the Mamba X + 2400kv combo while being cheaper at the same time. The only thing the Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv 1515b combo lacks compared to the Mamba X + 2400kv 1415 combo is Sensored mode, which is not necessary at all for a basher.

The Mamba X is a fantastic ESC, but it's important to keep in mind what it was designed to do. It was designed to be as small and lightweight as possible and targeted at the racing community where smaller and lighter ESCs are a huge asset. Unfortunately making an ESC smaller and lighter results in design compromises that typically limit current handling ability and/or decrease it's ability to dissipate heat. As a basher you don't need a small or lightweight ESC. The Sidewinder 8th ESC is able to handle more power, dissipate more heat, while being cheaper also, because it doesn't have to deal with those design limitations.

RC Champion
    Well sorry to all. I was looking over the castle website and that is where I got the info from. Maybe I misread. Didnít see the sidewinder 1/8th, but wasnít really looking for it either. Sorry for any misinformation.

RC Qualifier
    thanks i will look into them. I am skeptical about that brand though because it is cheap and from china

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the Sidewinder 8th. Speaking of that thing, that combo is the only way to get the 2200kv motor from castle in that form from the United States! Unbelievable. Edit: I can see it has been replaced by a sensored unit. What a shame. Sooo that’s the end of waterproof castle motors, unless you buy an sw8. Shame shame shame. Hobbywing it is.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 11-23-2018 at 11:32 PM.

RC poster
    I was looking at the castle 2400kv system but the more I look at the goolRC motor and hobbywing esc the more I am liking this combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    you can get a 2400 kv motor from ebay by castle