Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    There was never any temp increase noticeable with gears, you can feel, and smell the issue with pulleys and belts.
    Im just curious because i haven't had this issue with mine at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Grips Belt Drive Completed

Quote Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
    Im just curious because i haven't had this issue with mine at all.

Iím gonna run it in a bit. Iíll see if the increase in heat remains
    Just ran it. The esc is 80ish, motor 80ish. Spur gear is is 74. So the belt drive was the issue. I tried every combination of belt, pulleys and motor adjustment. Still the tension you have to have for the belt not to slip, and the truck still coast reasonably well, was causing my heat issue.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 12-12-2018 at 03:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow! Ya that's super curious. Only heat issue I've had so far is running with dust cover, seams to heat up a bit. Im also not running a motor fan yet either.

Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Qualifier
    well there's always chain drive...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    well there's always chain drive...
    This is a true statement.

RC Qualifier
    That is some serious rotational mass there. As long as the belts are not breaking under power I see no issue with them other than tension loads on the bearings.

The poly belt endless series is steel belted and should hold power pretty well.

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    I do a large amount of searching on Google that leads me to various forums on different topics. For the sake of having helpful info "out there" here are some findings on this situation.

Grip sent me his belt setup as he decided to no longer pursue belt drive.
    One thing to note here is that none of us had prior experience or any pre-existing info to go off of.
    Belts are much like gears in that there are small teeth with fine pitch and then larger teeth with larger pitch for high power. There are various ID systems like HTD 3m which Grip used in a 16mm width variety. These happen to have a round tooth design.
    I found myself going for the XL series in a 5T pitch in a 10mm belt width. My choice of a narrow belt is still being tested to confirm strength but I can say the belt has steel inner belts so I am hopefull.

The point to my rambling here is all about pitch. The 3M pitch on the black belt vs the 5T trapezoidal pitch on the other belt should make all the difference for power handling. (Note there was larger pitch options also)
    3m vs T5

Rounded fine pitch vs trapezoidal large pitch

Gears comparisons

For the xmaxx something in the ballpark of a 200mm belt is a good starting point.
    I hope this helps someone. Happy new year!

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 12-26-2018 at 09:31 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I do a large amount of searching on Google that leads me to various forums on different topics. For the sake of having helpful info "out there" here are some findings on this situation.

Grip sent me his belt setup as he decided to no longer pursue belt drive.
    One thing to note here is that none of us had prior experience or any pre-existing info to go off of.
    Belts are much like gears in that there are small teeth with fine pitch and then larger teeth with larger pitch for high power. There are various ID systems like HTD 3m which Grip used in a 16mm width variety. These happen to have a round tooth design.
    I found myself going for the XL series in a 5T pitch in a 10mm belt width. My choice of a narrow belt is still being tested to confirm strength but I can say the belt has steel inner belts so I am hopefull.

The point to my rambling here is all about pitch. The 3M pitch on the black belt vs the 5T trapezoidal pitch on the other belt should make all the difference for power handling. (Note there was larger pitch options also)
    3m vs T5

Rounded fine pitch vs trapezoidal large pitch

Gears comparisons

For the xmaxx something in the ballpark of a 200mm belt is a good starting point.
    I hope this helps someone. Happy new year!

-Liberty
    Thank you for your insight. I think the kits you can buy, as well as whatís being broadcast on YouTube are mostly 3m tooth/pulley sizes. This just goes to show me and everyone else, research and effort are needed, to deal with big power. I thank Liberty for his assistance, I think in the long run, other than being quiet, belts are not an upgrade to the drivetrain.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
    This is what I did to my pulley, haven't tried it yet been busy. But this won't work for everyone. I use a huge pinion because im running a really low kv motor, 780kv. Also made some aluminum spacer plates
    I was using aluminum shims that just fit over the screw but it was a pain to mount that way.

What size pulleys and belt lengths did you use here. Iím running a 800kv motor on 8s and Iím going for speed. Thanks
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Thank you for your insight. I think the kits you can buy, as well as what’s being broadcast on YouTube are mostly 3m tooth/pulley sizes. This just goes to show me and everyone else, research and effort are needed, to deal with big power. I thank Liberty for his assistance, I think in the long run, other than being quiet, belts are not an upgrade to the drivetrain.
    How did the comparison come out. Difference between 3m and 5t?
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRevoMaster View Post
    How did the comparison come out. Difference between 3m and 5t?
    Well Iím running GDS spur, and Liberty sold his X-Maxx. I think the belt drive is cool, but has no advantages over gears. I ditched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I think the advantages would be Imho
    1) Operating costs
    2) sound.
    3) cool factor
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRevoMaster View Post