RC Qualifier

Absolutely destroyed my front end, what do I do with this broken bolt

Hardest crash Iíve ever seen just happened today. Hereís my cooling fan mod for the scale of impact.
    9 volt battery flew off the body and is nowhere to be found.
    Front right turnbuckle split in half, replaced in that photo. Pillowballs pulled through the caster block or whatever itís called, but I put them back in in this picture. and they donít seem like they wanna pull through again.

Front right driveshaft split in half, dogbone end is long gone and the cvd half is in the trash can.
    The drivecup flew off, I guess it pulled through this pin, because when I took a look at it after the crash it was gone, and when I got to my workbench I just saw this pin here.
    bolt is stuck in there

Other half of the bolt. Do I drill it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    And my front right shock was bent to almost 70 degrees

That is probably the most damage I have ever seen on an e-revo. Can you describe the crash? As for the bolt, if you can, try to use pliers to grab the side that is broken and try to back it out like that.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    That is probably the most damage I have ever seen on an e-revo. Can you describe the crash? As for the bolt, if you can, try to use pliers to grab the side that is broken and try to back it out like that.
    I had my truck geared up to 70mph, 20/46 on 6s. I had a setup where I had a long stretch of road, and a ramp that was at the dead end part of it. Basically you have this abandoned paved road and it comes to a stop where the road just ends and turns into grass with a few trees, other than that an open field. Anyway, top speed, flying down the road, just as a test to see if my steering was correct, but a few feet before the ramp I was gonna slam the brakes so I only hit it at 30-40. But the pinion backed off.. full speed, fly off the ramp which is more of a straight ramp than an upward ramp, and it was like slow motion smash into a tree, the front wheel was the only contact point so the thing got annihiliated. I forgot to mention I snapped one of the rear pushrods as well. As for the pliers, the bolt snapped too far downwards for me to grab it.

Edit: even though the ramp grade wasn’t too steep, I hit the tree about 20 feet up because it’s all a downward hill from the end of the road, so there was a second impact of the car falling to the ground which I assume broke the rear pushrod.

Edit 2: I just found out I broke a few teeth off the front ring gear and cracked the lower bulkhead all the way through. Also my right battery is donezo.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 11-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    bro you should have got that on video! congrats for the hard bashing!

Inviato dal mio SM-G960F utilizzando Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    As a matter of fact I was gonna record the second attempt for this group I’m in. What a bummer this was only the test
    Edit:I just figured out it’s $18 for that dogbone drive cup. Really??? I just paid $60 to replace BOTH of my daily driver 1995 impala’s rear driveshafts!!!
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 11-18-2018 at 11:24 AM.

RC Competitor
    If there's enough of the bolt sticking out and you have a dremel, cut a notch in it and use a flathead screw driver to try and get it out. Or since you're going to be buying some new parts you could just order a new one.

RC Qualifier
    Good idea with the dremel!!! I’ll try that!

RC Qualifier
    Went scavenging hereís what I got
    Will try to dremel the bolt with a flathead tomorow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    What’s the progress on the rebuild? Back up and running yet? Sucks about the crash, but sounded like it would have been crazy to see.

RC Qualifier
    Ordered parts today. I got the bolt drilled out but it ruined the threads. Useless. So I had to order the front upper bulkhead too .

Edit: I donít have any hobbyshops nearby. The closest one is 40 minutes away and most people know why I am never shopping there again.

RC Racer
    If you ain’t crashn’, then you aint bashn’. Hahaha. That bolt in the bulk head would have been tricky to get out anyway. Bulkheads are cheap enough to replace at least. Hopefully your parts come in soon and you get it up and going again. You’re lucky in a way, I haven’t had any real time to run mine lately.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a 10 year old castle Mamba Monster 1 that works halfway. Should I call castle up for old times sake to ask if I can get a warranty repair? The thing works as a BEC, just doesn’t power the motor. It’s in excellent physical condition

RC Racer
    10 years old?! I’m just guessing here but it’s probably out of warranty. Hahaha. Can’t hurt to call I suppose.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
    10 years old?! I’m just guessing here but it’s probably out of warranty. Hahaha. Can’t hurt to call I suppose.
    Something like that. 8 9 or 10.

RC Qualifier
    LOL! When you posted in the XO-1 thread about massive jumps I knew you were about to spend some money. This is just the beginning. Trust me, I jumped my 6S X-Maxx like a mad man and went through $400 in parts that broke in less than ten jumping sessions.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    I was going to say the bolt migh not be an issue if you damage the front bulkhead.

You might want to check the front of the chassis as I am sure that must have stress cracks. You might have to replace the whole chassis. This is why i am against over hopping these trucks if you are looking to bash....

Original replacement parts are relatively cheap to rebuild.

Video would have been killer!!!! Good luck with th rebuild.

RC Qualifier
    After looking through the chassis there’s no cracks anywhere, my bulkhead just arrived but my revo is at the shop (using the tools there). The bulkhead came with the bolt I sheared off. Score!

RC Qualifier
    As an update, that front ring gear is still doing just fine other than skipping some teeth. Reason I remembered this thread is because I was reading a thread about a bent shock, they should’ve seen mine, it was basically pointed to the right completely outwards from the chassis, rather than straight. I managed to straighten that shaft and it leaks a tiny bit but that’s about it. The new bulkhead has held up great and I haven’t had a huge crash since. That crash also wrecked my motor’s fan shroud which I forgot to mention (its cracked in half now) and damaged the front bumper. Also the rear toe link bent from the force. Keep in mind, the area impact was the FRONT right wheel, and it caused ALL this damage! That just shows how much shock went through this vehicle. Another thing that I didn’t realize was the lower a arm was damaged and had a crack form right where it wraps around the pin towards the front, that finally failed and was replaced sometime in December. As for my right battery, I put it in a vice at work (after uncurling it) and now it’s basically brand new, with just a little puffed. Honestly surprised all the connections are in tact. Been using that battery for the last month or so, no issues. I’m always at skate parks and tried to hit a ramp at speed for a change but after this experience I’ll stick to skate parks. It’s just annoying looking back. Imagine if the caster block just gave and cracked off the car, none of this would’ve happened. Talk about unlucky (even though it was a dumb move to do what I did)

Now that I think about it, that lipo was pretty curled. I think I was under the influence when I decided to uncurl it. Who even uses that term for batteries, “oh yeah man just doing the normal lipo uncurling after a crash, no problem”... smh. But seriously, it looked like an incomplete fruit by the foot.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 02-02-2019 at 01:44 AM.