RC poster

Upgrades for Stampede 4X4

Iíve had my stampede for about a year now and itís taken some wear and tear and I want to give it some more umph. Iíd like to get a good brushless motor and esc, and a decent battery, maybe LiPo. What upgrades are necessary for all around dirt/snow driving and mild jumps?

RC Racer
    do a search for upgrades but most folks stick with stock as they hold up good and cost less
    for a motor upgrade look at hobby wing or castle sidewinder.
    I just put the sidewinder sc 3800 in my rustler 4x4 . you will like this one .

RC poster
    Ok awesome. That’s what I have been doing and I’ve been looking into the Sidewinder 4. Ive also looked at the EZrun 5.5t 6000KV and the Tacon 6t 4800KV. I’ve also looked into the EZrun Max10 SCT esc. Any ideas on those or what battery and gearing I should use? Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdboy1250 View Post
    Ok awesome. Thatís what I have been doing and Iíve been looking into the Sidewinder 4. Ive also looked at the EZrun 5.5t 6000KV and the Tacon 6t 4800KV. Iíve also looked into the EZrun Max10 SCT esc. Any ideas on those or what battery and gearing I should use? Thanks!
    User lower KV motors so you have more gearing and voltage options.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Combo with the 3200kV motor (5mm shaft) with a 14t pinion and a 54t spur.
    Plenty of power, even on 2S.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    User lower KV motors so you have more gearing and voltage options.
    Ok will do. Thanks. What gearing would you recommend for maybe 3800 KV?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    I have the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Combo with the 3200kV motor (5mm shaft) with a 14t pinion and a 54t spur.
    Thank you for this. I will look into this combo.

RC poster
    Ok I looked into your combo and have a few questions. 1. What material are your pinion and spur wheel made of? 2. Was the esc hard to program, or straight forward and easy? I’ve looked into the manual but want to see from your standpoint not only how easy to program it is but also if it is easy to turn on/off. Thank you so much!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok will do. Thanks. What gearing would you recommend for maybe 3800 KV?
    Stock would work well. Maybe -
    13/54

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I looked into your combo and have a few questions. 1. What material are your pinion and spur wheel made of? 2. Was the esc hard to program, or straight forward and easy? I’ve looked into the manual but want to see from your standpoint not only how easy to program it is but also if it is easy to turn on/off. Thank you so much!
    I use the following Traxxas parts:
    14t pinion = 5640
    54t spur = 3956

I use the program card

There's a switch connected to the ESC to turn the ESC on/off.

RC poster
    I use the following Traxxas parts:
    14t pinion = 5640
    54t spur = 3956

I use the program card

There's a switch connected to the ESC to turn the ESC on/off.
    Great thanks! My last question is just what is the battery connector plug? I haven’t picked out a battery yet, and I need to know what the plug is. Also, what batteries do you sue? I know it’s a 2S but what are the specs? Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Great thanks! My last question is just what is the battery connector plug? I havenít picked out a battery yet, and I need to know what the plug is. Also, what batteries do you sue? I know itís a 2S but what are the specs? Thanks!
    Look at SMC Racing for batteries. Pick a plug type(connects battery to esc) you prefer. I run XT90ís on my P4de. The capacity will dictate your run time and the Amp rating will dictate your power consumption capability

RC Enthusiast
    I mostly use a 2S Gens Ace 5000mah 50c hardcase battery or one of my older ones

Most of my gear stil have the (old) traxxas connectors, but like Gripdog I use XT90's on my stampede.
    I'm not that good at soldering, soldering this type of connector is easy.

RC poster

Most of my gear stil have the (old) traxxas connectors, but like Gripdog I use XT90's on my stampede.
    Excellent. Thank you for your help That should be all for now but you know how that goes.

RC poster
    Hi. I have a Stampede 4x4 Xl5 I purchased in December of 2016 I have upgraded a lot on the truck with aluminum pieces made from my friends plasma cutter and just recently started making a snowplow just to goof around with. I would like to wire another servo into my truck to raise and lower but was not exactly sure which remote would be the best to buy. Thanks any help would be great!

RC poster

Now I’ve done some research... the Gens Ace battery that you recommended looks like it only comes in deans connectors. What did you do to change the plugs or did you find one that had the right connector?
    ?

RC Qualifier
    Try SMC batteries. They make ones that fit and have the proper connectors.

RC poster
    I switched mine to Deans and use that battery, I'm pretty happy with it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Try SMC batteries. They make ones that fit and have the proper connectors.
    Thatís what Iíve been doing. They seem pretty good. What battery size and mah do you use?

RC Enthusiast
    Any of you guys try the HRB 5000 mah hard case 50C come with traxxas connectors wondering if there any good.

RC Qualifier
    I would look into the 5000-6500mah area on SMC for a good battery. Get the highest C rating ones you can afford. It is well worth the investment to get good lipos from the start as if not youíll end up spending more then you would have if you had just gotten 2 good ones. JMHO and experience with buying lipos.