RC poster

T-Maxx Nitro to T-Maxx Electric References?

Hello all, this is pretty much my first post with a question, so, please forgive if I am not doing it correctly.

I have been watching video on YouTube and tried reading what I can on the forum but everything is spread out and mixed up as far as the direct info I am seeking.

I was wondering if there is a straight up list of all of the parts needed to convert a Nitro T-Maxx to an Electric T-Maxx.

I know there are different engines and mounts etc.

If I could get a basic list to order, that would be fantastic!
    Thank you all for your time.
    -Clay-

RC Qualifier
    How are you going to do the conversion. I've seen 2 ways of doing it. One way is to replace the chassis, and tranny with E-maxx chassis and tranny and add electronics. I have also seen people do it using the T-maxx chassis and tranny. Also, is this a current gen T-maxx, or is it 10 years old? Traxxas has made some small changes to the design over the years, so newer parts might not fit an older T-maxx.

RC poster
    I would like to still use everything I can that is current.
    I am unsure of the age of it......I have owned it maybe 3 to 5 years now, no idea how long the previous owner had it.
    How can I tell the age?

RC Racer
    Well couple of months i made the conversion to a 3.3 T-Maxx...

As i know there are 3 type of the T-Maxx...Read what the engine says..

-2.5 (black center transmission, older style)
    -3.3 (grey center transmission, sames as Revos)

Those are the 3 T-Maxx's i know.

One co-worker of me, has a 2.5 i converted to 2s...and then i bought a 3.3 second hand to myself and made it brushless 2s to!

The most important thing to hunt is the motor mount...then the rest you can make with anything!! also the motor mount you can doi it if into DIY... an L shape of alloy and some drill's do it just fine!

Couple of pictures...

-His 2.5 T-Maxx

-My 3.3 T-Maxx

Notice you need metal center driveshafts...the plastic ones will break even on 2s in 10 minutes of use! Rear center specially cause of the heat produced...plastic will start to bend and break! Only metal will stand!

RC poster
    Depends how much power you want, from my research and limited experience 2s or maybe 3s you might be ok with stock tmaxx powertrain. If you want to go bigger than that you're probably looking at diff swaps as a minimum if you want it to hold up and you might want to think about replacing the transmission with a center diff if you're shooting for 5s or higher.

You can take a look at my thread a few posts down from this if you're curious, I built my own chassis that was highly inspired by the magneto chassis available from the aftermarket and swapped in the entire powertrain from a losi 3xl-e, I did it all with a few custom cut aluminum plates from the metal shop, a dremel, and a 4-40 tap... but it was quite a bit of work and it certainly wasn't cheaper than just going out and buying an electric rtr. However It IS the only one that exists though, running on 5s it should be pretty bulletproof, and it was a fun build.

RC poster
    Iím also converting my classic T-maxx. My budget isnít very high. My research has lead me to believe the best motor to use for this project is what has been proven to work with others whoíve done the conversion. 2200~2650kv motor using 2,3 or 4S batteries. Iíd rather not change the stock transmission but am looking to do the single speed, no reverse gear change as required.

Can anyone recommend a good motor/ esc combination thatíd be good for this? Best motor for as little as possible.

RC Racer
    Center transmission WILL break on 2s... in 15 minutes or on the second pack or third pack you will see, even more when more voltage is applied, like 3s or 4s or 5s or even 6s (5s and 6s is not advcied on this old plattform, unless it uses other Rc's parts!!)....brushless is out of this world faster then a combustion engine, specially from stop to start runing....wheelie monster style if you hammer the throttle! SO plastic shaft's are a thing of the past as "combustion". In my opinion, other's will differ...but it's what the world is coming now...15 years ago! Nothing new here! This discussion is also already oldshcool! What we need now in this thread is brushless...so..

It need's metal...

I saw that on the the web...and on myself!

First on my co-worker 2.5, and later on my 3.3 T-Maxx.

That's one thing that will need to change...but hold down the horses!! Change when it breaks... use your's till it breaks! AND REMEMBER...when you got the metal center shaft's, THE 4 shafts of the 4wd system (rims/tires) will start to break eventually...also happen to my 2.5 & 3.3.... it's a given fact that plastic shafts on brushless system's will work a short life!

And yes the center tranny needs the single speed..or locking the original 2 if you have the skills. Have done that on both those 2.5 (single speed gear) and 3.3.... the 3.3 is locked by me.... just use a drill, and some long screws and nut's with locktite! Not adviced...but on a budget it's what we get! Not adviced, cause it could get loose on the long run, and when get loose you loose all the gears on the center trans! lol... NOT yet on mine!

A video of mine 3.3...

Good luck to you all, and me! lol
    Last edited by targeting; 11-25-2018 at 05:07 AM.

RC poster
    Thatís great info thanks! Have you got a recommendation for motor ESC as thatís what Iím looking to get atm? Iím on a tight budget so £50 max, maybe more but not by much.

RC poster
    Love your truck, targeting. What motor/ esc combo you running?

Iím currently looking at a Castle 1406 series 2700kv motor with 2V2 sidewinder ESC. Any good for my particular project? Itís above budget at £80 posted.

RC Qualifier
    That esc burns up in a slash on 2s, can’t even imagine what it does in a maxx. I’d get a hobbystar motor and a hobbywing max10 esc

RC poster
    Thank you all SO much for the information and advice!
    I still need to research and brush up on a lot of the lingo to understand what some of you are talking about

My original motor is the 1.5 so I guess that answers that is must be the oldest one.

RC Qualifier
    Yep it appears that you have an original tmaxx. Youíll most likely want to upgrade the driveline and drive shafts as well as those arenít really made to take the abuse of a brushless setup. Use it as is and buy parts as they break. Youíll also want to do the single speed conversion to the transmission. There are a few companies that sell the motor mount kit and also the battery straps. Take your time building and it will reward you with a lot of fun! I had an original emaxx and I swear I had more fun driving that then any other rc I have owned. Something about the maxx series of trucks makes them a lot of fun to drive!! Enjoy it.

RC poster
    Just another point of view here... but in some cases, many in fact, I disagree with the "run stock till it breaks" approach. All depends on your situation and plans of course, but on my previously mentioned project I decided I'd use the axle shafts, carriers, a-arms, and body mounts that were on the truck when I got it. I knew that eventually I was going to rpm plastics and lst axles shafts but it seemed like modding the lst2 diffs to use traxxas drive cups saved me a pretty large outlay replacing servicable parts that I already owned at the time. Well, less than 3 packs of run time on the truck now since then and I've needed to replace things that cascaded into doing every bit of what I'd planned for long term anyhow, but my truck has been sitting for weeks while I wait for parts to arrive and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to tear deep into it to swap the original out drives in again to boot.. wish I'd just bit the bullet and done everything to begin with. Just food for thought.

RC Qualifier
    If it were me I would upgrade it before I ran it as I know from past experience that they will break under the extra torque produced by brushless motors. In the end I suppose itís up to the poster to decide whether or not he/she wants to go that route right off the bat.