RC Enthusiast

New owner of 6s slash, need help holding battery holder

Hi, I've bought a slash 4x4 and am going to run 2 x 3s lipo's. Is this the only way to run 6s as I'm going to struggle to make them fit as they are the hard case overlander ones.
    Can anyone recommend a good powerful 6s battery that will fit in the slash or advice how I can fit 2 x 3s

RC Racer
    Any particular reason you want to run 6s? Kinda overkill. I run 4s on 2200kv and I cant keep it right side up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    The slash is not a 6s type of vehicle. If you want to run 6s, you should look at a 1/8 scale truggy type, or monster truck. 2400kv on 3s seems to be a nice balance of speed and power without being Overkill.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

The Slash 4x4 can run 6s. Mind you it is a handful on 6s!!! Do you still have the stock motor system? How fast are you trying to go?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    A handful to say the least!! I canít imagine just bashing one on 6s. Maybe we are missing something here, but the slash is a little bit small for continuous 6s use without some major upgrades and also being more purpose built like for speed runs.

RC poster
    My 4x4 slash cc mmx 3800kv geared 14/52 on 2s 70c is stupid fast cant imagine 6s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    why are you trying to run 6s? I am @ 4s, which is pretty much as high as you can go without significant chassis mods... my powertrain is already setup for it as well.

at that point, it would be better to run external pods, as the weight will make the car lean to one side, and will negatively impact steering/control of the vehicle

How are you running 6s? that takes a lot of ESC and motor to do.... you can't jsut slap in 2x3s batteries into a stock system, it wont work that way.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry I haven’t replied, didn’t realise I had notifications turned off. I purchased it secondhand off eBay off someone who was well into them.
    I didn’t realise how fast they are, only ran 1 x 3S battery and it was too fast already and snapped a metal driveshaft already on the first run.
    It’s been upgraded with a 1/8 hobbywing max 8, teckno rc center shaft, rpm, metal drive shafts, rear diff spool setup (whatever that is) I know I’ve run before I could crawl but it was a too of a good deal to miss.
    Thanks for all the replies, I do still want to try and strap the other 3S to see what 6S is like for one run.

RC Qualifier
    I won’t tell you to not run 6s. You have made up your mind to try something fun and I so wont tell you to not do something rather than answer your question. Just buy some Velcro straps and cut into the chassis to make 4 slots for 2 straps to go across the battery tray in parallel. It’s simple and better than the plastic battery hold-down IMO.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    I wonít tell you to not run 6s. You have made up your mind to try something fun and I so wont tell you to not do something rather than answer your question. Just buy some Velcro straps and cut into the chassis to make 4 slots for 2 straps to go across the battery tray in parallel. Itís simple and better than the plastic battery hold-down IMO.
    Donít really want to cut into the chassis even though it seems the best thing to do. Ive bought some Velcro straps to hold the 2 batteries together. Might cable tie around the whole chassis and around the batteries as itís only temporary as I wonít run 6S all the time.
    I know what your saying without you saying it to me but I bought the Slash already 6S prepared and tested secondhand but tbh after taking it out on 3S the other week for the first time it was fast enough on 3S so will try 6S just to see what it goes like but will stick to 3S for daily use and maybe 6S once in a blue moon.
    Thank you for your help.

RC Qualifier

Cool

Lol once you put in a 6s, youíll never go back to a 3s if you donít have to. Honestly, cutting 4 slots in the chassis is not a big deal and truly wonít decrease durability. Take my word for it on that!!! You can use a dremel or a simple razor blade or x-acto knife. In the end, do what you want and what you think will make you the happiest.(AKA whatever gives you the biggest smile when you #send it!!!) who cares if it ends in a resounding ďuh-oh...Ē Not your local hobby shop when youíre buying parts!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Lol once you put in a 6s, youíll never go back to a 3s if you donít have to. Honestly, cutting 4 slots in the chassis is not a big deal and truly wonít decrease durability. Take my word for it on that!!! You can use a dremel or a simple razor blade or x-acto knife. In the end, do what you want and what you think will make you the happiest.(AKA whatever gives you the biggest smile when you #send it!!!) who cares if it ends in a resounding ďuh-oh...Ē Not your local hobby shop when youíre buying parts!
    Ok when Iím back from Sweden Iíll put new rear drive shafts in coz one snapped, might have snapped from a jump or they are weak. If these donít hold up Iíll get the MIP X duty driveshafts. Cheers for all your comments and support.

RC Qualifier
    No prob! Feel free to come back for overwhelming amounts of RC info!

RC Qualifier
    I would say that typically the only people running 2 packs on their Slash are people doing speed runs over 70mph.
    (I hit 83mph on 3s with the castle 2200kv motor)
    Generally to run 2 packs you need side battery trays.
    There are many versions and designs of these. Here is one example:
    https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...s34753%29.html

Just know that on 6s you are going to need a wide open space to run and probably some belted tires that wont blow off the rims (GRP rubber and BSR foams are the only 2 I recommend). Then you run into radio range issues and need an nice Futaba radio. Going fast is an expensive hole to dive down into. My Slash is setup for 8s and has more invested than I'd like to admit.

-Liberty

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I would say that typically the only people running 2 packs on their Slash are people doing speed runs over 70mph.

Just know that on 6s you are going to need a wide open space to run and probably some belted tires that wont blow off the rims (GRP rubber and BSR foams are the only 2 I recommend). Then you run into radio range issues and need an nice Futaba radio. Going fast is an expensive hole to dive down into. My Slash is setup for 8s and has more invested than I'd like to admit.

-Liberty
    Thanks for the heads up, as said before Iím actually new to the lipo world of rc as Iíve come from a nitro savage. I bought this secondhand off a guy who had it setup to to run 6S. I have taken it out on 3S and it was insanely fast then and with a few jumps managed to break an axle. The axles he put on are only those blue shafts which have 22-28 written on them. Iíve ordered some more but after doing some research Iíll go for the MIP x duty ones as heard good things about them being strong.
    Wow 8S, never heard someone running that and the speed you got out of a 3S is amazing.
    I will bare this all in mind and prepare for a lot of breakages.
    Iím only going to run on a field to try this out but will stick to 3S for now but try 6S to see how it goes.
    Thanks for your help.

RC Qualifier
    Wow. 83mph on 3s with the 2200kv is pretty darn fast!! I have gotten to 75mph with the stock motor, be it the older 2 pole one using very high gearing and 3s. Canít do that much though as the motor get hot quick!! I need to go ahead and find an old MMM, and throw it in my slash 4x4 with the 2200kv motor I am not using. My Summit has the MMM with an 18v drill motor in it and itís a torque beast. Just donít want to break it, so I opted not to use the 2200kv motor as itís not sensored and cogs a bit too much for my liking.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post

-Liberty
    Ok you were 100% correct, tried it for the first time and tyres ripped off straight away. Didnít help that I ran it rwd due to the grub screw falling out on the front centre prop shaft. Going to Loctite them in. Going to get a set of the tyres you mentioned above.